Figure Skating Shows - Recent & Upcoming | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Shows - Recent & Upcoming

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if a thread such as this already exists?

But I'm thinking this could be a thread to share videos, info,, news &c for shows that have been held recently - or are about to be soon.

LRK

Record Breaker
And my reason for starting this thread is basically that I found these two Brian videos from Mishin's birthday show from the 10th - and didn't know where else to post them. ;)

Black Eyes:¨

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9YVGh6VXhQ&feature=youtu.be

Robbie Williams:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk1TMSlN2g8&feature=youtu.be

I found these here:

https://twitter.com/MaisonDeJoubert

So I don't know what other videos of other skaters are "out there" - and I don't know much about the show in general. So, any extra info/vids gratefully received! :)

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if a thread such as this already exists?

But I'm thinking this could be a thread to share videos, info,, news &c for shows that have been held recently - or are about to be soon.

Shows as in specific national tours, or local skating shows?

I posted this on another thread, but since you started this one, perhaps I should post it here.

There is the Hamilton Skating Club Carnival today (Saturday April 5th). Gilles & Poirier and Roman Sadovksy are appearing and I believe they are doing 2 shows - afternoon and evening.

The event has been sanctioned by Skate Canada and the info is on the Hamilton Skating Club website:

http://www.hamiltonskating.org/

http://www.hamiltonskating.org/files/2014-Carnival-Flyer.pdf

LRK

Record Breaker
A general catch-all figure skating show thread, really. Not everything warrants its own thread necessarily, perhaps - and then I think it's nice to have a place where info is collected. So thanks for posting that here! I don't follow shows myself much, so am unlikely to have much to contribute to the thread - unless I see some (to my mind) interesting stuff about my favourites. But, I'd be really glad if other people posted more information that was more generally relevant, and that other people might find interesting.

LRK

Record Breaker
On further thought I realised that perhaps I ought to clarify a little more what I meant by a "catch-all" thread. Basically, it could be:

- Interviews/photos/videos/fan meetings &c from (relatively) recent shows
- Information about upcoming shows
- Questions people want to ask about shows, ranging from the general like "Is Skater X doing shows?" or "Does anyone know of a show planned in the X area?" to the more specific like questions or advice about purchasing tickets, or where to stay, or planning a trip to see a show

So basically, nothing too big - nothing too small. If it's show related and it's about a relatively recent (that could be a few months ago - but a few years is a bit too much - also there is a specific thread for best show performances where favourite golden oldies can be posted) or upcoming show - it belongs here. I'm sorry if I was too fuzzy previously about what I meant - and hope that this will make things clearer. :)

CrystalClear

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I just attended the Stars on Ice 2014 show in Orlando, FL yesterday, and it was all shades of awesome!

Jason Brown and Polina Edmunds were the guest performers. Of course we got to see Riverdance and Can't Touch This from Jason. Polina Edmunds did a very nice routine to Billy Joel's Uptown Girl. She really showed a lot of showmanship and pizzazz. I hope for good things for her skating in the future.

There was a group routine with the ladies and with the men. The guy's routine was more fun with lots of dancing and hamming for the crowd. The two ladies behind us could not say enough times "How cute is Charlie White!"
The ladies did a very interesting contemporary routine with a barre. It was quite enchanting which I think was the desired effect. The only part that made me nervous was when the other ladies lifted Meryl overhead. All I could think was, "Don't drop Meryl. She's got Dancing with the Stars tomorrow, and she still has to skate Scheherazade tonight!" Nevertheless, the trick went off flawlessly. Meryl was safe and all is well.

The other skaters performed the routines as listed on the SOI program (listed under music on the website). Suffice to say that everyone performed really well. Sure there were some saved landings here and some two-footed landings there, but nobody hit the ice and the performances were not "watered down." No need to go into detail because this show happened to be the one that was filmed for television broadcast! I did not know that until the show began and Scott Hamilton came out and made the announcement. I think the show will air April 13th on NBC so hopefully everyone can see it soon.

Of course, they allowed the skaters to repeat some of the elements with shaky landings, so with the magic of television editing, the performances should be flawless.

I am certainly glad that we made the trip to see the show live. I doubt they will air all of the performances on television, so I certainly feel that it is worth it to see the show if you are anywhere near the tour stops.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We're going to the Newark, NJ SOI tomorrow evening. Can't wait!

This Saturday evening, we're going to the Wilmington (DE) Skating Club Spring Show. It's only an hour away, & Felicia & Nate will be in it! :love:

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks for the report CrystalClear! Reading it makes me feel as if I've shared in your enjoyment. :)

I hope you too will have a great time, iluvtodd! :)

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Good to know it will be on TV Sunday, I will know what to expect when I go to SOI on May 4.

Regarding the shaky landings being re-filmed, I think it's almost more pressure when the skater has to come out to re-do. I once saw Jeremy have to re-do a triple jump....luckily he landed it on his first try.

CrystalClear

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Enjoy the shows iluvtodd and Kitt. Major competitions and shows rarely come near enough to here that I can attend without major travel and expense. I guess the only good thing about being a figure skating fan in Florida is that Stars on Ice comes here first. Thank goodness for the internet for everything else.

With regard to the re-takes, the skaters seemed to enjoy the second chance to get it right, and we enjoyed the second chance to see at least parts of the routines again. On re-take, Mirai landed her triple lutz beautifully, but the skate was going so well that they let the music keep going for a while past the lutz. She got all the way to the double axle (also lovely) before they finally cut the music. The crowd groaned and even Mirai looked disappointed that she had to stop. It was also a treat to get to see Gracie's dress for her "Frozen" routine one more time. The amount of sparkle was near blinding. :love:

Hopefully you guys get to see gorgeous landings on the first takes.:)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the review, Crystal Clear! We're longtime SOI fans (have been attending the show since 1993). We're psyched!