Rating Sochi re Figure skating | Golden Skate

Rating Sochi re Figure skating

skateluvr

Record Breaker
What did you feel it delivered on? what will you watch from it two years from now? What were the disappointments for you?

How will you sum up these games from an historical viewpoint? Looking forward to your thoughts...

cooper

Medalist
what i will remember is... that the politics in figure skating never change.. no matter what..

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh christ, as soon as you mentioned the word disappointment you've basically opened it up for all the people who are still whining and carrying on like pork chops about the ladies' result...

Anyway, my biggest disappointment was Brendan Kerry not making the FS/Plushy's screw snapping :cry:

What I will always remember: Dani and Greg's brilliant SD to qualify for the FD and Plushy's amazing team event programs.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Oh christ, as soon as you mentioned the word disappointment you've basically opened it up for all the people who are still whining and carrying on like pork chops about the ladies' result...

The judging issues in Sochi went far beyond the ladies results, even if by a stroke of fluke most of the final results (medal placings anyway) werent affected.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
-I will remember Hanyu's Brilliant SP, in the team and in the individual. --And that he didn't let himself give up even after mistakes at the beginning.
-Patrick Chan's perseverance even though he made mistakes.
-The really amazing Women's competition. A lot of the ladies stepped up and performed wonderfully. I try not to think about the judging. It's their performances that I will remember.
-My heart breaking for Mao in the SP and again in the LP. in different ways.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will always remember the grace of Yuna, the style of Hanyu, and the tears of Yulia! Honestly probably Yulia winning everyone's hearts and skating under such pressure most but not far behind is the courage of Mao to deliver a FS for the ages!!! Lets not forget the ceremonies themselves and the beauty of the Russian people and their pride.

redfiretrees

Rinkside
I actually quite enjoyed the Ladies FS (minus the controversy after) and was really disappointed with the Men since a lot of them were falling all over the place.

noskates

Record Breaker
Ditto what Sam-Skwantch said. But I would also have to add the beautiful free dance of Davis & White.

wootie

Match Penalty
I'll remember Sochi for being a thankfully violence-free Winter Games followed directly by a thuggish Russian invasion of Crimea that sort of undid all the (minor) goodwill Russia had tried to accrue by hosting these games.

In regard to figure skating, I will remember the team event for being a fun, mostly unnecessary addition to the Winter Games. It was also the event where it became obvious that as long as the Russians stayed on their feet, they were guaranteed a medal in the individual events due to the corrupt judging.

I'll remember the men's event for being underwhelming.

I'll remember the pairs event for being mostly boring.

I'll remember the ice dance event for being pre-ordained.

I'll remember the ladies event for the strength of the ladies (putting the men to shame, really). Unfortunately, the ladies event will always be tarnished by the blatantly corrupt judging that occurred. The results are pretty much BS, but I'm glad that most of the ladies went out there and did their best.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Speak for yourself. I was underwhelmed and could only think, "THIS is what everyone is raving about?"

So glad I don't have your outlook. Yulia is one of the MANY reasons to tune in this quad. If you don't think this is great .... well... I don't know why you even watch and expect you to fade away. She is amazing as are the rest of the up and comers. Don't fret though this forum could always use its share of haters...its like fish to water.

http://youtu.be/pMUU6bwvdxI

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
On a positive note, the single best Ice Dancing long program competition in its Olympic history.

On a negative note, Pussy Riot being horsewhipped by their own people while Putin looked for photo ops with Russian medalists.

And the most partisan crowds I've ever seen at any sporting event in my lifetime. When they actually showed up, that is.

usethis2

Medalist
A corrupt regime creating a fantasy feel-good moment for the nation's people who are none the wiser, in order to keep the regime thriving. Happens in every nation in the world. (including Korea, who hosted the 1988 Olympics under a quasi-military dictatorship, iirc)

Figure skating = a collateral damage.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A corrupt regime creating a fantasy feel-good moment for the nation's people who are none the wiser, in order to keep the regime thriving. Happens in every nation in the world. (including Korea, who hosted the 1988 Olympics under a quasi-military dictatorship, iirc)

Figure skating = a collateral damage.
Of course you wouldn't remember something great about Yuna.. Lol.

snsd

On the Ice
The only performances I will still be re watching in 2 years are Carolina Kostners SP & LP plus Mao Asada LP

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So glad I don't have your outlook. Yulia is one of the MANY reasons to tune in this quad.

If tiny jumps that won't survive growth, a horrible flutz, and a terrible 2A, along with a complete lack of musicality, and trying to pass off ridiculous flexibility as artistry, is a reason to tune in, then of course I'll tune out.

I was much more excited about Polina Edmunds, myself.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was much more excited about Polina Edmunds, myself.

I really hate picking on skaters but outside of the polina's jumps and spins she really just looked like a public skater to me but honestly ... to each their own. I can get you free public skate passes if your interested.

Seriously...how much more do you expect her to grow...lol. Did you see her 4 yrs ago? http://m.vk.com/article2030424516_954415070?api_view=e1024fedbddf782effb72892ade098

Do you even consider that when you post such nonsense that a nice 13yr old girl may read this and your comments may affect them and what they are going thru?