Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS | Page 85 | Golden Skate

Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
She did a total of five crossovers over that period of 16 seconds. And when you say "not one of those is 10 seconds long" I posted 10 second segments in which nothing is going on. What is she doing in any of those segments in the video? If you think the ranges should be shortened you can specify why and we can discuss :)

Hahhaha oh really? Nothing is going on?!
I didn't realize there was a 10 seconds 'Frozen' moment in Adios except at 3mins29 for a massive 1 second. Or perhaps this 10 seconds brain freeze is more of your thing? It would have certainly explained so much!!! ;)

I do recall you were the first one who already deemed Adios Nonino as a program beneath Kim, yet had no problem with the tosh that is Sotinova's time wasting intro for half time bonus, or her hailing to the crowd with 5 years old giddy wave in the middle of Rondo Capriccioso.

Interestingly the said 1:20-1:36 actually shows Sot's poorer speed consider the distance traveled and the longer set up time for jumps that you conveniently ignored. By the way Kim's 10 seconds set up AFTER half way mark covering larger length of the rink while remain note perfect vs Sotinkova's waffling intro jump setup 16 seconds actually shows how strong Kim's speed, precision and coverage through out the entire program. Pity this was not accurately reflected in the score.

Now... let's see. Usually, I'd prescribe a junior class on music interpretation including choreographic intentions to understand what it means to skate 'to' the music. (Some of the Sochi judging panels can benefit from the course....although some seems deliberately failing just for Sochi. Sot's received 9.75 for choreography... lol! Greatest crime against the arts.) BTW...for future references, YES something interesting is ALWAYS happening even if the violinist/pianists/conductor is not moving their arms violently or waving to the crowd, even during the quieter moments, especially when it leads to a dramatic buildup and pause.

--------------

Actually looking back on everything happened. This IOC media slant was planned from the start to imply somehow Kim was playing safe and did not bring the technical goods (even Kim still had the hardest and best 3/3 combo for both LP and SP, and has 2 true lz in her LP, 1 in the short.) Things were in motion long time ahead by ISU consider the amount of rules changes happened right after Vancouver which just 'happens' to dramatically reign her scoring opportunity the most while improving her opponents chances. Her Vancouver layout is simply not possible under the current rules, she has no choice but to compete on artistry which was obviously not rewarded accurately along with pretty much ALL the skaters on the night. The writing is on the wall for a long time since Sochi won their bid. In anycase, her Vancouver program/performance wouldn't have won Sochi anyway with the GOEs and scale value changes.

Ven

Match Penalty
In anycase, her Vancouver program/performance wouldn't have won Sochi anyway with the GOEs and scale value changes.

That's correct. Nothing that Yuna has ever skated in her entire life would have won at Sochi, nor any other skater who has ever lived.

Because the competition was rigged.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are we taking nominations for "most dramatic on a forum" or "most copy and pasted rants"or is this a private ceremony. You guys are so stubborn and I'm seriously running low on :popcorn:

There is a whole world of figure skating outside of Yuna vs Adelina at Sochi. It's over(.)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Are we taking nominations for "most dramatic on a forum" or "most copy and pasted rants"or is this a private ceremony. You guys are so stubborn and I'm seriously running low on :popcorn:

There is a whole world of figure skating outside of Yuna vs Adelina at Sochi. It's over(.)
:biggrin: I also have the same thought. Thank you for saying it out loud.;)

Ven

Match Penalty
The pro Russians would like it to be over because they are insecure with the knowledge that the only way they could "win" an Olympics ladies event was to cheat. That's understandable they would feel embarrassed about never producing a winning lady through talent and hard work.

But it will never be over because a fraud can never be erased and all it did was tarnish the sport to a degenerate level. Which is a shame for those of us who really love figure skating and don't just see it as a way to rig competitions for shallow insecure national pride.

Boycott the ISU

Boycott the IOC

Meoima

Match Penalty
The pro Russians would like it to be over because they are insecure with the knowledge that the only way they could "win" an Olympics ladies event was to cheat. That's understandable they would feel embarrassed about never producing a winning lady through talent and hard work.

But it will never be over because a fraud can never be erased and all it did was tarnish the sport to a degenerate level. Which is a shame for those of us who really love figure skating and don't just see it as a way to rig competitions for shallow insecure national pride.

Boycott the ISU

Boycott the IOC
This is so entertaining. :popcorn: the world doesn't just end if your favorite skater did not win a competition. My favorites rarely win anything at all. That's life. The scoring system surely is stupid, as I have stated before, and many people have state that before. But it doesn't mean there is always fraud at every competition we see.

Ven

Match Penalty
The scoring system surely is stupid, as I have stated before, and many people have state that

There is no scoring system. As BoP's posts attest to, there are made up numbers assigned to give validity to an ordinal system that is determined off the ice by bribes and favors and the like.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Boycott the ISU

Boycott the IOC

I'm not pro Russian!!! I'm pro figure skating. Lets be clear about that. Liking a Russian or two doesn't mean I'm pro Russian. I like all figure skaters that put their heart and soul into a performance.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The pro Russians would like it to be over because they are insecure with the knowledge that the only way they could "win" an Olympics ladies event was to cheat.

It is over. You can say it was rigged that no matter what Yuna did it wouldn't be enough. But she didn't do enough to test your theory, with three 10 second jump set-ups, the 8th hardest LP, and a few shaky jumps and spins. I find it entertaining that you think someone with the 5th highest BV in the entire event could only have lost due to cheating when she delivered her elements as she did in the LP. Only a panel of entirely Korean judges could have given Yuna scores that would have satisfied you.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Hahhaha oh really? Nothing is going on?!
I didn't realize there was a 10 seconds 'Frozen' moment in Adios except at 3mins29 for a massive 1 second. Or perhaps this 10 seconds brain freeze is more of your thing? It would have certainly explained so much!!! ;)

BTW...for future references, YES something interesting is ALWAYS happening even if the violinist/pianists/conductor is not moving their arms violently or waving to the crowd, even during the quieter moments, especially when it leads to a dramatic buildup and pause.

To me, only doing crossovers isn't choreography, but it is apparently amazing choreography in your eyes that should be rewarded because Yuna is doing them. I wish I could skate around setting up 3 jumping passes for 10 seconds each and get 10 for choreography too; luckily a majority of the panel noticed those deficiencies and judged the program accordingly. Of course, if you can't even see the second half of her LP had far less choreography and transitions than her LP the previous year then I wouldn't expect you to understand anything I'm saying anyway, so please continue whining about this "scandal".

Meoima

Match Penalty
It is over. You can say it was rigged that no matter what Yuna did it wouldn't be enough. But she didn't do enough to test your theory, with three 10 second jump set-ups, the 8th hardest LP, and a few shaky jumps and spins. I find it entertaining that you think someone with the 5th highest BV in the entire event could only have lost due to cheating when she delivered her elements as she did in the LP. Only a panel of entirely Korean judges could have given Yuna scores that would have satisfied you.
Then why Mao's Lp were scored that low?

Ven

Match Penalty
It is over.

Obviously it's not, or you wouldn't feel the need to keep posting about it, especially when... as many posters pointed out... you keep contradicting yourself or outright making intentionally false statements.

There also continue to be news stories and op eds on the topic. I just checked and people were still signing the petition yesterday as they do every day. Thousands of people continue to come to the realization that figure skating in its current state run by the current people is both rigged and not worth watching. Sotnikova and Tarasova continue to have to address the controversy in their interviews, as they will have to do for the rest of their lives. And every time Lakernik and Alla's and Cinquanta's names come up in the media their names are always stained by references to the scandal, as they will be for eternity.

Poor Sotnikova who skated well until she stumbled,
Then giggled like a girl when she bumbled,
Then did a 16 second crossover for all to see,
She could only win with the I$U's guarantee,
"But it's over, we won!" a crazy Russian fan decreed,
"Not so" the rest of the world resoundingly grumbled,
Because what will her legacy always be?
All hail Adelina, The Phoney Queen Of Sochi!

^ I think "decreed" should be "rumbled." -- four couplets. Unless you were going for a 9.0 in sophisticated rhyme scheme. :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Obviously it's not, or you wouldn't feel the need to keep posting about it, especially when... as many posters pointed out... you keep contradicting yourself or outright making intentionally false statements.

Like when I say her program is empty because she has multiple 10 second periods of no choreography, it's a contradiction because she is doing crossovers? :) Just those three period alone amount to THIRTY SECONDS OF NO CHOREOGRAPHY. How is that maintaining the character of the program? Anyhow, I feel very confident that the scores reflected that Adelina won primarily because of higher difficulty. Yuna could have made up the difference with better choreography (which, as I clearly show through videos, her 2014 program was emptier than 2013, which of course you ignore), or more difficulty (adding a 7th triple like the other medalists would have helped), or better execution (had she had the same BV and GOE as her LP in 2013 it would have been close, and probably Yuna would have gotten a PCS bump with better executed technical elements). You can't do the 5th hardest programs and expect to win if you don't execute everything perfectly, period. Don't show up to the Olympics and water down your choreography from the previous year and perform shaky jumps and expect to win. To suggest otherwise is laughable. You make no attempt to view Yuna's programs with a critical eye as the judges are tasked to do. You think coming out forward on a jump is to be applauded and worthy of +3 when Yuna does it on her 3Lz. It's quite entertaining to read the complete denial of the weaknesses of that Sochi LP of Yuna, but at the end of the day the right skater won IMO (and the opinion of many experts). Others disagree and that's fine; the judging panel was split as well. That's how these things go in skating, you should accept it for your own sanity.

Ven

Match Penalty
^ I think "decreed" should be "rumbled." -- four couplets. Unless you were going for a 9.0 in sophisticated rhyme scheme. :)

Sorry it was a work in progress just typing on my phone. :)

How about this?

Poor Sotnikova who skated well until she stumbled,
Then giggled like a girl when she bumbled,
Then did a 16 second crossover for all to see,
She could only win with the I$U's shady guarantee.
"But it's over, we won!" a crazy Russian fan exclaimed.
"No -- it was rigged" the rest of the world resoundingly proclaimed.
And as for what her legacy will always be?
All hail Adelina, The Phoney Queen Of Sochi!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
A freaking poem about the judging scandal? Are you serious or are you just trying to entertain everyone now?

I marvel every day that this thread is still alive, but goodness, a poem... May I suggest a poem about the beauty of Yuna's skating instead? This one, I must say, is rather counter-productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.