Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
For those who do not know before we begin, here are the requirements for achieving a Level 4 step sequence in singles skating:

1.) 5 different types of turns and 3 different types of steps, all executed at least once in both directions.
2.) Rotations in both directions with full body rotation covering at least 1/3 of the pattern in total for each rotational direction.
3.) Use of upper body movements for at least 1/3 of the pattern.
4.) Two different combinations of 3 difficult turns executed with a clear rhythm.

Here is every skate movement that Sotnikova made in the step sequence of her LP, listed in order of execution from start to finish:

1.) Three Turn, counterclockwise (x2)
2.) Curve with change of edge, clockwise
3.) Twizzle, clockwise
4). Toe Hop, counterlockwise
5.) Rocker, counterclockwise
6.) Change edge from inside to outside
7.) Three Turn, clockwise
8.) Twizzle, counterclockwise (barely makes it around and free foot comes down quickly)
9.) Curve with change of edge, clockwise
10.) Loop, clockwise
11.) Three Turn, clockwise
12.) Choctaw, counterclockwise
13.) Illusion turn, counterclockwise
14.) Toe Steps, clockwise
15.) Rocker, clockwise
16.) Counter, clockwise
17.) Bracket, counterclockwise (FAILED attempt, edge is flat before the turn and unsteady on exit, with free foot coming down)
18.) Mohawk, counterclockwise
19.) Loop, counterclockwise
20.) Toe Hop, clockwise
21.) Chasse, clockwise
22.) Rocker, clockwise
23.) Rocker, counterclockwise (barely, edge is shallow and immediately changes over)
24.) Rocker, counterclockwise
25.) Chasse, clockwise (x3)
26.) Edge change from inside to outside
27.) Edge change from outside to inside with free foot placed on ice
28.) Rocker, clockwise (barely, edge is shallow and immediately changes over)
29.) Three Turn, clockwise

5 types of turns need to be executed in both directions. By my count Sotnikova only executed 4 types of turns in both directions - Three Turn, Rocker, Loop, and Twizzle (and this one is very questionable on the counterclockwise attempt).

3 types of steps need to be executed in both directions and I only see 1 type of step executed in both directions - Toe Hop.

She not only failed to achieve the #1 criteria for Level 4, but she also failed to achieve the #4 criteria. Other people who are able to, analyze this step sequence with me and let's uncover the truth.

-----

See my post HERE that analyzes Yu-Na's footwork sequence, which is a Level 4.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Be sure to analyse the other skaters too for comparison, at this level of detail.
Unless this is Just Another Hate Sotnikova Thread?

TMC

Record Breaker
Thanks, you went to some trouble to do that! I'm not well-versed enough to do it, but a similar analysis of Yuna & Carolina's stsqs would be very interesting!

bebevia

On the Ice
My IJS checklist results for the top 4 (Yuna, Carolina, Sotnikova, Mao) have been deleted... last week... and I can't recover myself from that. However, I think I concluded that she did a decent Lv. 3, and gave +2.

CarneAsada

Medalist
So what illegitimate stuff can we remove from Sotnikova's TES advantage?
3Lz(e)-3T< overlooked (-1.2, -1.7 GOE)
StSq Lvl3 (-0.6)
-3.5 => 72.04 TES (below Asada's, and Sotnikova still has the inflated GOE)

Kim's LP
StSq Lvl3=>4 (+0.6)
+0.6 => 70.29 TES

The gap narrows... very easy to argue now that Yuna should be ahead of Adelina based on PCS. Though I would've still argued that Yuna should've had at least a 5 PCS advantage over Sotnikova anyway.

uhh

Medalist
So what illegitimate stuff can we remove from Sotnikova's TES advantage?
3Lz(e)-3T< overlooked (-1.2, -1.7 GOE)
StSq Lvl3 (-0.6)
-3.5 => 72.04 TES (below Asada's, and Sotnikova still has the inflated GOE)

Kim's LP
StSq Lvl3=>4 (+0.6)
+0.6 => 70.29 TES

The gap narrows... very easy to argue now that Yuna should be ahead of Adelina based on PCS. Though I would've still argued that Yuna should've had at least a 5 PCS advantage over Sotnikova anyway.

But you need to factor in Kim's underrotated 3lz, which was given full credit & positive GOE.

JayW

Final Flight
Blades of Passion, great post. Thanks.

Can you also explain the SP Stsqs of Yuna and AS, I for one thinks Yuna's SP stsq should be 4 as well.

yuki

Final Flight
Be sure to analyse the other skaters too for comparison, at this level of detail.
Unless this is Just Another Hate Sotnikova Thread?

But levels are not awarded by comparison to other skaters - you either fulfill the requirements or you don't. As per BoP's analysis, Adelina didn't and I don't see how pointing that out amounts to hating the skater (disagreeing with the scoring is another thing entirely).

JayW

Final Flight
But levels are not awarded by comparison to other skaters - you either fulfill the requirements or you don't. As per BoP's analysis, Adelina didn't and I don't see how pointing that out amounts to hating the skater (disagreeing with the scoring is another thing entirely).

I don't think any hates Adelina. She just benefits from the Sochi judging, but she did nothing wrong.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I thought the rule meant that you had to do 5 different turns clockwise and 5 different turns counterclockwise, not that it had to be the same 5. Not saying I'm necessarily right but that was just my understanding.

YesWay

&#22235;&#24180;&#12418;&#12363;&#12369;&#12390;&#
Record Breaker
You are missing the point.

If (!) we take BoP's analysis to be correct, it implies that the judges gave her level 4 when it should have been level 3. Was that unfair? Did she alone benefit from such judging, or were other skaters given the same benefit too? Did it influence the finishing positions? By how much? etc etc.

We won't know any of that unless we impartially analyse the other skaters in the same way. Failure to do this implies that this is indeed, another Bash Sotnikova thread. Because it singles her out.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I don't think any hates Adelina. She just benefits from the Sochi judging, but she did nothing wrong.

Exactly, We can feel free to talk about this without being accused of Sotnikova hate,
I think there's a big enough consensus that this is an actual "thing"

Besides, If there would've been an actual investigation of the judging, Like over 2 million people demanded,
Than both YesWaY and us would have our goals acquired

YesWay

Record Breaker
Than both YesWaY and us would have our goals acquired
Indeed.

Whatever the motives, I do hope that others will chip in to corroborate/correct BoP's analysis as applicable, and add similar analyses for other skaters.

If this thread can avoid getting too derailed, I think it could be one of the very few threads able to reach some kind of objective consensus, based on the rules and easily observed/verifiable skating elements.

jaylee

Medalist
Wow. Hat's off to Blades of Passion--who is not a Yuna uber, but is doing a much, much better job than many Yuna ubers at explaining why he disagrees with the judging results, explaining what was called incorrectly and why, and does it without discrediting what Adelina Sotnikova did or without ignoring Yuna's weaknesses.

Your hard work and commitment to objectively analyzing the issue of accurate scoring is really appreciated.

FWIW, Adelina received a level 3 step sequence in the FS at 2014 Europeans, 2013 GPF, 2013 TEB. She received a level 2 in the FS at 2013 Cup of China.

YesWay

Record Breaker
I thought the rule meant that you had to do 5 different turns clockwise and 5 different turns counterclockwise, not that it had to be the same 5. Not saying I'm necessarily right but that was just my understanding.
Which of these two options is used, makes quite a difference to analyses like this.

Yet, the rules do not make it clear which it is -_- (well, its not clear to me, seems ambiguous)

kslr0816

On the Ice
Wow. Hat's off to Blades of Passion--who is not a Yuna uber, but is doing a much, much better job than many Yuna ubers at explaining why he disagrees with the judging results, explaining what was called incorrectly and why, and does it without discrediting what Adelina Sotnikova did or without ignoring Yuna's weaknesses.

Your hard work and commitment to objectively analyzing the issue of accurate scoring is really appreciated.

FWIW, Adelina received a level 3 step sequence in the FS at 2014 Europeans, 2013 GPF, 2013 TEB. She received a level 2 in the FS at 2013 Cup of China.

This. There are a lot of "ubers," but from what I've seen a LOT of the people posting legitimate data are people who are just hardcore skating fans, dismayed at what they've seen. Not haters of any particular skater - just the scoring.

b-man

Final Flight
Great effort BOP. I have been looking for such an analysis, yours is the first I have seen, and it reveals what many of us have suspected. I don't think many of us have the knowledge to do a similar analysis.

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
Great analysis, BOP - that's the best one I've read so far.

Question for everyone: who else disagrees with the results and knows the rules in-depth like BoP? It would be awesome if you could get a group together for a collaborative blog to dissect the results in Sochi, and gear it towards the casual fan - at the very least it would help people learn more about the sport and what goes into the scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.