Analyzing Sotnikova and Kim's footwork in the FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Actually, BoP, you and the rest still HAVE NOT ADDRESSED the points I made.

You haven't made any points. You've just shouted carelessly about something you don't understand at all and you only talk about Yu-Na's step sequence. You don't talk about the fact that Sotnikova received wrong calls.

qwertyskates

Medalist
You haven't made any points. You've just shouted carelessly about something you don't understand at all and you only talk about Yu-Na's step sequence. You don't talk about the fact that Sotnikova received wrong calls.

All three (and others eg. Gracie) received very lenient calls for various parts of their programs, yes, Yuna got away too. To me, Yuna's stsq really missed many features compared to Caro's and even Adelina's. Attacking my understanding wouldn't help your case, her stsq was too slow, lacking energy and vigorous torso movements, feet kept close to the ice. She didn't do much to challenge the balance of her blade. I usually enjoy stsq because most skaters use that as a crescendo in their program to show off their SS and some dramatic moves to win over the audience, Caro's is a prime example.

Adelina's Carmen was also outstanding, she hit every piano note with inventive, original moves, gorgeous footwork, when she skated on one foot, the other was visibly kicking, lifted above the ice, it was beautiful, strong and spectacular, the crescendo before her final so-called "ugly" spin. Shame that she is hounded like this for winning over the "wrong" veteran, and has been shown little appreciation for her merits. From all accounts, she is a very decent person, as seen in this documentary, where Elena praised her at 8:30(also watch for the part when Tarasova smacked Kovtun really hard! 7:55:laugh:):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1LqZtubZos

I don't have particular preferences for "elegance", "graceful", "flirty", "coy" skating, I also enjoy modern, athletic, bold, original performances. Adelina is like Midori but with more artistry and musicality.

Let's just agree to disagree, leave it at this, there's no purpose to take this forward and I leave for the record my agreement with Tech Panel call.

I am also really tired of posters who know very little of the features or bullet points that confer stsq levels, insisting how Yuna's body is so still, so smooth,...etc...therefore she should receive Level 4 (!!!) so please, folks, if you are too *lazy* to look up the links despite me posting 100 times, don't expect your persistent ignorance be dignified with an answer.:rolleye:

nimi

Medalist
Is "vigorous torso movements" a bullet point? Sounds like something that goes along with windmill arms, lol.

Yeah, we just have to agree to disagree, because I just don't see what you see. Adelina = Midori + artistry? I mean... really?

qwertyskates

Medalist
Is "vigorous torso movements" a bullet point? Sounds like something that goes along with windmill arms, lol.

Yeah, we just have to agree to disagree, because I just don't see what you see. Adelina = Midori + artistry? I mean... really?

I mean, really, Google is your friend. Goodbye!:rolleye:

cooper

Medalist
All three (and others eg. Gracie) received very lenient calls for various parts of their programs, yes, Yuna got away too. To me, Yuna's stsq really missed many features compared to Caro's and even Adelina's. Attacking my understanding wouldn't help your case, her stsq was too slow, lacking energy and vigorous torso movements, feet kept close to the ice. She didn't do much to challenge the balance of her blade. I usually enjoy stsq because most skaters use that as a crescendo in their program to show off their SS and some dramatic moves to win over the audience, Caro's is a prime example.

Adelina's Carmen was also outstanding, she hit every piano note with inventive, original moves, gorgeous footwork, when she skated on one foot, the other was visibly kicking, lifted above the ice, it was beautiful, strong and spectacular, the crescendo before her final so-called "ugly" spin. Shame that she is hounded like this for winning over the "wrong" veteran, and has been shown little appreciation for her merits. From all accounts, she is a very decent person, as seen in this documentary, where Elena praised her at 8:30(also watch for the part when Tarasova smacked Kovtun really hard! 7:55:laugh:):

I don't have particular preferences for "elegance", "graceful", "flirty", "coy" skating, I also enjoy modern, athletic, bold, original performances. Adelina is like Midori but with more artistry and musicality.

Let's just agree to disagree, leave it at this, there's no purpose to take this forward and I leave for the record my agreement with Tech Panel call.

I am also really tired of posters who know very little of the features or bullet points that confer stsq levels, insisting how Yuna's body is so still, so smooth,...etc...therefore she should receive Level 4 (!!!) so please, folks, if you are too *lazy* to look up the links despite me posting 100 times, don't expect your persistent ignorance be dignified with an answer.:rolleye:

hahahahahahahahahhhahahahahhahahahahaha...

:laugh:

nimi

Medalist
:laugh: indeed.

Gotta admit: I started reading this thread a while back but gave up when qwertyskates &co turned it into a tortured English reading (mis)comprehension exercise. Nowadays I only check this for the lulz.

cooper

Medalist
midori is underrated when it comes to musicality or artistry.. she's known for her technical abilities but she's more than that..

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

Okay, that made me laugh so hard. LOL
From what I saw, Adelina was the one who was visibly just kicking her way around her step sequence. And no, she definitely did not hit EVERY note.
Adelina = Midori Ito + artistry? :rofl:

nimi

Medalist
From what I saw, Adelina was the one who was visibly just kicking her way around her step sequence. And no, she definitely did not hit EVERY note.
Adelina = Midori Ito + artistry? :rofl:

Yep, apparently she is a perfect lovechild of Midori and Daisuke. Who knew? :laugh:

The thing is, I enjoyed Adelina's performance and loved her energy and enthusiasm, whereas Yuna for some reason always leaves me a bit cold (even though I thought she skated two beautiful programs). But even to my inexpert eye, when it comes to SS and footwork I can see that Adelina has considerable flaws and shortcomings compared to Yuna. Adelina is still young and rough around the edges (pun intended) and has a lot to learn, so to read these comments that want to paint her as technically (as well as artistically) superior compared to "weak" Yuna...
:confused:

CarneAsada

Medalist
hahahahahahahahahhhahahahahhahahahahaha...

:laugh:
I was clearly being sarcastic in the other thread when I talked about Adelina's thousand transitions and her clean 3Lutz-3Toe. I never thought I'd see the day where someone gave her that sort of praise without a hint of irony. :laugh:

sk8in

Match Penalty
Are you looking at the same stsq?

A few seconds are missing from this video, you might want to compare for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVc5-0HPe3U

Besides #3 Upper Body, and Adelina moved very vigorously here, dipping more often, there's also a certain rhythm and speed in #4 that has to be met. This is why skaters usually pick the faster more dynamic portion of the music for their step sequence.

Seriously, why hasn't the KSU launched an official demand for investigation? I enjoy it as anyone else. :popcorn:
Moving "vigorously" does not equate difficulty. Yes we can all tell Adelina was very excited during her free skate. No she did not shift her core body weight very much during any of the steps. No her edges were not particularly deep, or held for more than an instant. Her moves are not as difficult as Yuna's. She kicked her free leg up a lot? Ok. But again, her core body weight was fully upright. It is skating not the Rockettes. She doesn't twizzle at all like Yuna did. Yuna's step sequence really went on longer afterwards. Once again, while Adelina had fairly good power in her jumps (despite the opening combination which was not properly called), she didn't have the skating skills which make up all the component scores. The only area where you can give Adelina the nod is in spirals. Yuna and Caro do not have her flexibility.

Adelina is like Midori but with more artistry and musicality.

No, no one is like Midori. Not until some other lady appears who can jump her height. Your other points can be agreed with or disagreed with, but this one I must contest. Midori is in her own realm. I remember seeing her (on TV, alas, not live) doing a triple axel as a pro, and it was as if she were climbing up on the air. I think my heart actually stopped beating in amazement.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Tonya Harding was kind of like Midori Ito but she didn't have her control/air position/consistency.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I cant believe someone compared Sotnikova to Ito. My eyes bleed. Not only is Sotnikova not even half the jumper Ito was, comparing someone who cant even do a proper triple lutz or properly rotated 3-3 combo other than the 3 toe-3 toe to triple axel queen Ito, seriously. Her godawful and hideous artistry also makes Ito look like a ballerina and master of musicality on the ice by comparision too. Not too mention Ito's better footwork (bogus calls and GOE for Sotnikova in Sochi which is the whole discussion of this thread aside) and much better basic skating, speed, and flow over the ice. Ito is a legend while Sotnikova will always be a bit of a joke in the sport.

qwertyskates

Medalist
No, no one is like Midori. Not until some other lady appears who can jump her height. Your other points can be agreed with or disagreed with, but this one I must contest. Midori is in her own realm. I remember seeing her (on TV, alas, not live) doing a triple axel as a pro, and it was as if she were climbing up on the air. I think my heart actually stopped beating in amazement.

Lost a long reply to your post, ugh!

First, I won't dignify the other insulting posts with a reply. If there are points to be made, by all means make them. Insults only serve to undermine one's own position.

Back to your point, I didn't mean Adelina jumps were as good as Midori's. I agree that Midori's jumps are unsurpassed. What I meant was that Adelina is "like Midori" in that her jumps are the biggest (Gracie too, until Frank reined her in, and Tuk until her problems overcame her), the most athletic among the current crop like Julia, Caro, Ashley, plus she has greater flexibility and better moves than Midori. They are from different eras, and maybe I am not used to the skating style from back then, which looks stiff to me.

Yes, I think Tonya Harding is "like Midori" too, in that her jumps are powerful and atheletic, but it doesn't mean her jumps are the same or better.

It is now politically incorrect to like Adelina's skating, anyone who has something good to say about Adelina is immediately bashed to silence. However, Adelina did peak at Sochi and won me over. She had a troubled spell after her Russian nationals and many fans were thrown off, I wasn't impressed then and Julia was hyped up. At Sochi, she did skate her best, with commendable qualities, which are now impermissible to even mention.

I am looking forward to more performances from Adelina, I think her jumps will get better, and of all the other female skaters, I believe she is the only one capable of achieving the 3A after Mao.

Alex D

Record Breaker
While I don't want to pick a side, yet. I still feel that people who use insults to make their point have already lost. Even if you think you are 100%, there is no reason why you should defend your position by attacking someone else's credibility. (this goes to both sites) In the end those topics are always a fight between neutral´s, Kim fans and Sotnikova defenders.

Besides that, its always very easy to call the mistakes by others, keep in mind though you had weeks for your opinion, the judges and the panel had barely a few minutes. No matter how detailed someone´s analyze is, its an opinion about basic elements that even professionals cant find a common agreement about.

In the end of the day its just very sad that opinions about a performance and those are what we all have, are used to discredit the success of a skater.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Let the PCS aside, how many point Sotnikova would have been deducted if her footwork and flutz were called out correctly? I mean TES only.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Assuming she had -1 GOE on her opening combination for a flutz (instead of +1), she would have lost two points overall. On StSq she was 3.90 to Yuna's 3.30 base value---GOE being 1.70 vs 1.14. So if we swapped Yuna and Adelina's StSq scores, it would still be Adeilna winning by a point: 221.39 to 220.31.

If Adelina got called on an under rotation for her 3T, I have no idea. Wagner's 3F+3T< was a -1.70. Mao's 3F+3Lo was merely a 0.00 GOE/base value. Of course I also feel Yuna's 2A's deserve higher GOE... she ina baured into the first, and 2-foot twizzled (whatever you call that)/backwards entry into the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.