Kavaguti and Smirnov will go for Pyeongchang 2018 | Golden Skate

Kavaguti and Smirnov will go for Pyeongchang 2018

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
full article: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/16177.html

We Yuko decided to pursue a career , hope to play at the next Olympics - said Alexander Smirnov . - Pyeongchang 2018 - now it's our goal . Of course, very sorry that because of my injury we missed home Games in Sochi , because form and we had a great , and programs prepared chic . But as they say , no luck - so unlucky . Now I started to jump in training. Yuko fully supports me , sometimes makes us work (smiling).

good luck but is this really realistic ? :unsure:
considering Smirnov's injuries and Yuko's age. they are a sentimental favorite
but how will their determination materialize until 2018 ? and I thought Savchenko's decision was questionable enough

that would make Yuko 36 in Pyeonchang and Smirnov wrapped in how many bandages
so Zhenya Plushenko has chance after all

gmyers

Record Breaker
They were robbed of even trying for sochi due to injury! They should see how far they can go!

JayW

Final Flight
Well good for them, I have to say these is little chance for them to medal in 2018.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Best of luck to them, I wonder if there is also a chance of Tamara continuing with them as well?

full article: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/16177.html

good luck but is this really realistic ? :unsure:
considering Smirnov's injuries and Yuko's age. they are a sentimental favorite
but how will their determination materialize until 2018 ? and I thought Savchenko's decision was questionable enough

that would make Yuko 36 in Pyeonchang and Smirnov wrapped in how many bandages
so Zhenya Plushenko has chance after all

They're my sentimental favorite as well, and I'm glad they're continuing, whether it's realistic or not for them to expect to compete in 2018. Good luck to them, and may they have at least one satisfying World Championships between now and whenever they decide to leave skating. Of course I hope that Moskvina will remain with them in some capacity or another, if not as their fulltime coach. I'm sentimentally attached to her as well.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Well good for them, I have to say these is little chance for them to medal in 2018.

Why, Pang/Tong nearly got a medal at the age of 34 and they were not Russian ;)

Well, if serious: K/S particularly make me wish that all judging controversies were solved till 2018 so that they could receive whatever the destiny has for them there fair and square. Very courageous guys.

JayW

Final Flight
Why, Pang/Tong nearly got a medal at the age of 34 and they were not Russian ;)

Well, if serious: K/S particularly make me wish that all judging controversies were solved till 2018 so that they could receive whatever the destiny has for them there fair and square. Very courageous guys.

Don't get me wrong, I love their lyrical style. However, even at their heydays, they never had enough technical difficulties, not to mention their consistency.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Don't get me wrong, I love their lyrical style. However, even at their heydays, they never had enough technical difficulties, not to mention their consistency.

Uhhh... a quad throw not difficult enough? :)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Good for them. Hopefully they don't drop down in their country by then, but B/L are not skating that well lately, and I don't know V/T's plans exactly (I remember reading something about them making a comeback later..).

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Sorry, I have to admit that I didn't know they have a quad throw.

Well, I wouldn't say they have it, unfortunately. But they kept trying it for a couple of seasons. For me, it counts. It really is a dare. Love all pairs who try it :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Good for them. Hopefully they don't drop down in their country by then, but B/L are not skating that well lately, and I don't know V/T's plans exactly (I remember reading something about them making a comeback later..).

V/T plan to compete next year for sure last I heard, and also plan to go for the 2018 Olys (again, last I heard... who knows what will really happen between now and then). They have talked of taking a season or 2 off in between, but again who knows.

I view the bigger issue than B/L (though B/L beating K/S at least sometimes is surely conceivable given their history recently, especially with K/S's injuries and age) as the fact that Russia also has MANY promising junior pairs. Some, it can be expected, will not survive the little girl's puberty. However, it can also be expected that some will. S/K is obviously also around and not going anywhere, and B/L improving is very unlikely but not unimaginable. If she could land her SBS jumps they would score MUCH better, obviously.

I also worry about them in terms of their age and especially given his injuries and the fact that they have already been on a downward slide, at least with the judges. I'm not going to call this Fumie syndrome yet as some have, and I DEPPLY respect that they wish to continue for next season (and beyond if they can) but I hope they are realistic about their likely limits.

BlackPack

Medalist
Sorry, I have to admit that I didn't know they have a quad throw.

No one does. In practice maybe.

No one has ever landed a throw 3axel either. Even the great Shen and Zhao couldn't. Any revolutionary jump was only (to my knowledge) achieved during a skater's peak, and K&S are way past it.

OK, I respect if people have worthy goals in their lives, but why pursue an unrealistic goal? It's only going to lead to disappointment. They couldn't make it in 2014, so extremely unlikely they'll make in 2018 when they're pushing 40.

There are so many wonderful things they can do with themselves that are far more fulfilling.