Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Although Pogo skated technically clean, she also skated with ZERO expression. She beat Kostner 67.19 to 53.81 on TES, but Kostner rightfully beat Pogo 73.78 to 64.05 on PCS, and I think even 64.05 was too high. No way should Pogo get 8.07 for IN when there was no IN.

Pogo didn't skate with zero expression at all. There were some quite good movements in that performance. She has matured a lot. The PCS were still too high, but that's because all PCS are too high these days. Kostner's PCS, however, were a complete joke. Should have been 9-10 points lower. She deserved 115 max for that performance, which easily drops her off the podium.

If this is the direction where she is headed then I am afraid that she is not coming back. See for yourselves - no explanation necessary.

Skating in shows means you'll never compete again? :unsure:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If this is the direction where she is headed then I am afraid that she is not coming back. See for yourselves - no explanation necessary.

http://cs613420.vk.me/v613420504/9464/HQHRngekkk0.jpg
http://cs616627.vk.me/v616627650/7a0c/y00G5WfVsB0.jpg
http://cs613420.vk.me/v613420504/9484/6xC33-ghHnw.jpg
http://cs613420.vk.me/v613420504/9494/hcnF3WSuRyA.jpg

(Sotbots will have to move on to the next "favorite" of Putin..)

Nice to see that even the haterz can enjoy an uber thread. Thanks for reposting these for me! She's lovely :biggrin:

usethis2

Medalist
I am not a hater. I used to be her fan. Not any more but I would've liked to see her scores post-Sochi.

Fortunately for the "Ubers" that opportunity won't arrive by the way of looks. :) I hope she enjoys her moments. And yes, she is lovely. Very.

CarneAsada

Medalist
^You don't like her but she's lovely? You used to like her yet when she skates her best program ever you no longer do? OK!

More holes than Swiss cheese!
I used to be the biggest Adelina fan who didn't actually enjoy her skating all that much. I became a fan almost solely because she thrilled me with her gigantic 3flutz-3Loop combination, the most daring, difficult 3-3 ever done in competition by a lady. I even replaced the Gracie icon with an Adelina statue in my miniature shrine at home after Gracie changed her SP to her current Grieg concerto hodgepodge. But then my dearest Adelinochka betrayed me. She did a 3T-3T in her Sochi SP and a 3Lz-3T that had two errors which were completely ignored by the judges. And I burned down the entire shrine in a rage.

hurrah

Medalist
I used to be the biggest Adelina fan who didn't actually enjoy her skating all that much. I became a fan almost solely because she thrilled me with her gigantic 3flutz-3Loop combination, the most daring, difficult 3-3 ever done in competition by a lady. I even replaced the Gracie icon with an Adelina statue in my miniature shrine at home after Gracie changed her SP to her current Grieg concerto hodgepodge. But then Adelinochka betrayed me. She did a 3T-3T in her Sochi SP and a 3Lz-3T that had two errors which were completely ignored by the judges. And I burned down the entire shrine in a rage.[/Q]

Miki Ando had a triple lutz triple loop combo, though it was never ratified. It should have been, of course. Just one of those stupid CoP intentional misjudges. Adelina's second loops are pretty awful looking, the way she hunches over, like Kovtun.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Pogo didn't skate with zero expression at all. There were some quite good movements in that performance. She has matured a lot. The PCS were still too high, but that's because all PCS are too high these days. Kostner's PCS, however, were a complete joke. Should have been 9-10 points lower. She deserved 115 max for that performance, which easily drops her off the podium.

Let's just say it was her equivalent to Al Pacino's lifetime Oscar award for Scent of a Woman.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Miki Ando had a triple lutz triple loop combo, though it was never ratified. It should have been, of course. Just one of those stupid CoP intentional misjudges. Adelina's second loops are pretty awful looking, the way she hunches over, like Kovtun.
Her 3Lutz-3Loop was ratified multiple times in her career, actually. I won't deny Miki's 3Lutz-3Loops were smoother and much better looking, not to mention off the correct edge. But no, her later attempts did not deserve credit. Adelina's 3Lutz-3Loop is more like Slutskaya's in that she has zero flow out and it doesn't really look beautiful but chances are if she stood it up then it was rotated without question.

winky97

Medalist

http://cs613420.vk.me/v613420504/9464/HQHRngekkk0.jpg
http://cs616627.vk.me/v616627650/7a0c/y00G5WfVsB0.jpg
http://cs613420.vk.me/v613420504/9484/6xC33-ghHnw.jpg
http://cs613420.vk.me/v613420504/9494/hcnF3WSuRyA.jpg

(Sotbots will have to move on to the next "favorite" of Putin..)

While I will always question the Olympic results, I am not going to hate on Adelina for getting her money on. Get it while you can I say. I did not like her Olympic programs, but I went on youtube and checked out some of her stuff as a young sprout and liked some of those programs.

usethis2

Medalist
@winky97: I agree. I don't hate any skater, period. I think it is wonderful that Adelina makes money skating. She looks so happy and healthy in the pictures, doesn't she?

winky97

Medalist
@winky97: I agree. I don't hate any skater, period. I think it is wonderful that Adelina makes money skating. She looks so happy and healthy in the pictures, doesn't she?

She does look happy. That is probably due to the freedom of an exhibition program instead of the stress of competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I mean after the olympics!

It's been one competition after the Olympics. That's like saying Hughes, Baiul and Lipinski needed to prove if they could medal after the Olympics. And I assume you mean medal at Worlds instead of medal internationally -- i.e. if Sotnikova competed at World Team Trophy (if there were one this year), or on next year's GP and medaled you wouldn't be satisfied.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kostner's PCS, however, were a complete joke. Should have been 9-10 points lower. She deserved 115 max for that performance, which easily drops her off the podium.

I don't think she deserved 115... maybe 119-120 with PCS around 66. Her PCS should certainly be ahead of Gold and perhaps on par with Lipnitskaia if not higher (IMO both Gold/Lipnitskaia were overscored given their errors).

By saying she deserved 115 max, and considering her tech score of 53.81 (52.81 with the fall), you're essentially saying Kostner's PCS should have been no more than 62.19. :unsure: Think about that for a second. :rolleye:

leafygreens

Final Flight
"Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?"

It depends on who is answering.

If the Russian fed is answering, of course it was wise for her to skip. She would never get that level of PCS/GOE skating in Japan, and that is why they pulled her out. Her gold medal would be even more protested and in question. Keep her out, despite wanting "all the gold in the world," and hopefully history forgets about the suspect placements. It's really quite transparent.

jatale

On the Ice
Adelina will be remembered as a "flash in the pan" with a politically arranged fraudulent OGM. She is a victim. In fair circumstances she would have won a deserved OSM and gone on to compete with an intact reputation to win more competitions for a good career. As it is, her reputation is damaged and the pressure on her will be debilitating. Worst of all, this situation has hurt figure skating.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She was. Someone on GS was updating her commentary during the FS and if you go way back in the Ladies FS thread you can probably find some of it.

What stuck out to me was it seemed she was nice and when the Russian announcers picked on skaters she defended them. Something along the lines of them saying someone struggled with a spin and she said ...yeah we all do with that. I don't speak Russian and im trusting my memory here and this is clearly hearsay so take it as so please.