Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Not saying it happened, but you don't think ex-soviet countries could be pressured into doing what Russia wants?

We're talking about FS here, correct? If so, any small federation could be pressured into doing what a more powerful federation wants. the Estonia federation could be pressured into doing what the Canadian one wants, etc. It doesn't have anything to do with Russia and ex-Soviets. It has more to do with small federations and large federations.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Because its the Western Neoleft people that mainly dislike Russia and were hoping hard for the Rus skaters to falter out of some odd logic that if they failed this hurt Putin.

Come now, everyone knows his heart was set on Ovechkin and the hockey team winning home gold, not the figure skaters. Although he could hardly have been displeased with the FS team's wildly successful performance.

anyanka

Record Breaker
:laugh:, only in Korea I guess

Yeah I don't think Adelina would be starring in All That Skate anytime soon.
Not to say that Yuna herself is personally angry about it, but perhaps Adelina may just not be well-received in Korea by the audience.
(To clarify: this is just her, not all Russians! V/T appear to be crowd faves in ATS.)
That being said, if she comes back for 2018, perhaps the national outrage will likely have subsided a lot by then if she competes in Pyeongchang.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
One way small feds can be pressured by larger feds is when skaters from those small feds train in foreign countries. Shtork & Rand EST train in Moscow part time. Elena Glebova EST trains in NJ, USA.

The large Fed surely has some leverage in that case, whether the 2 countries involved have friendly political relationships or not.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeah I don't think Adelina would be starring in All That Skate anytime soon.
Not to say that Yuna herself is personally angry about it, but perhaps Adelina may just not be well-received in Korea by the audience.
(To clarify: this is just her, not all Russians! V/T appear to be crowd faves in ATS.)
That being said, if she comes back for 2018, perhaps the national outrage will likely have subsided a lot by then if she competes in Pyeongchang.

I would actually like it if Yuna invited her. I have been really impressed by Yuna's classiness this whole time. All it would do is show her "fans" how revolting their behaviour has been this whole time.

But I guess Adelina wouldn't be able to go unless there was some serious personal security, since apparently these people find it acceptable to send death threats to a seventeen-year-old.

But I guess Adelina wouldn't be able to go unless there was some serious personal security, since apparently these people find it acceptable to send death threats to a seventeen-year-old.

Sorry...I'm not a huge fan of any individual ladies or mens skaters at the moment (although I'm gaining interest in a few) because I prefer pairs and ice dance. However, I've been loosely trying to keep up with things more since Sochi and the ensuing madness... But, death threats?! I had no idea that was happening... That's truly despicable behavior.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would actually like it if Yuna invited her. I have been really impressed by Yuna's classiness this whole time. All it would do is show her "fans" how revolting their behaviour has been this whole time.

Sotnikova isnt a big draw anywhere but Russia, even without the massive Olympic controversy which is fully just. To invite her to such a show would be pointless, regardless of the angst towards Sotnikova in Korea. Kim typically invites only the most popular skaters to her show, that will sell the most tickets, and Sotnikova ever prior to the Sochi farce wouldnt have been that person (obviously even less so now).

The disdain and disgust to Sotnikova extends far beyond "Kim fans" btw.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sorry...I'm not a huge fan of any individual ladies or mens skaters at the moment (although I'm gaining interest in a few) because I prefer pairs and ice dance. However, I've been loosely trying to keep up with things more since Sochi and the ensuing madness... But, death threats?! I had no idea that was happening... That's truly despicable behavior.

Oh yes. She's been sent death threats and there was much abuse posted on her instagram and Twitter. Truly disgusting language.

Sotnikova isnt a big draw anywhere but Russia, even without the massive Olympic controversy which is fully just. To invite her to such a show would be pointless, regardless of the angst towards Sotnikova in Korea. Kim typically invites only the most popular skaters to her show, that will sell the most tickets, and Sotnikova ever prior to the Sochi farce wouldnt have been that person (obviously even less so now).

Mm-hm. That's why she's skating on the Japanese SOI, because no-one outside Russia likes her... :sarcasm:

winky97

Medalist

@pangtongfan-I have repeatedly expressed my disagreement with the Olympic result, but do you really believe that there is "disdain and disgust" for Adelina? If so why? All she did was skate. Yes, she may need to learn to be a better "winner", but I hardly think she is a bad person worthy of "disdain and disgust". Truth be told I have soften on her a bit. I still find her Olympic skating ugly, but don't quite understand why she is hated.

I do however have disdain and disgust for the judges who awarded her OGM.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
@pangtongfan-I have repeatedly expressed my disagreement with the Olympic result, but do you really believe that there is "disdain and disgust" for Adelina? If so why? All she did was skate. Yes, she may need to learn to be a better "winner", but I hardly think she is a bad person worthy of "disdain and disgust". Truth be told I have soften on her a bit. I still find her Olympic skating ugly, but don't quite understand why she is hated.

I do however have disdain and disgust for the judges who awarded her OGM.

I think the "disdain and disgust" draws from the immaturity Adelina showed which no Olympic gold medalist should show. Who walked out early during a press conference while another medalist was speaking, throwing her headphones unceremoniously on the table? Who said "I WANT ALL THE GOLD, ALL THE GOLD THERE IS, WORLDS GOLD, NATIONALS GOLD, ALL OF IT!!!"? Of course it wasn't in caps, but it was the message. Is this proper behavior for an Olympic Gold Medalist? I don't think so.

You could "blame" her age and inexperience (oh yeah, she's never really won a major senior medal before EC14!) but previous OGM never showed this utter disrespect and selfishness.

YLFan

Match Penalty
I wonder what your opinion of Ashley Wagner who is a grown woman but acts like a petulant kid every time her scores come in.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I wonder what your opinion of Ashley Wagner who is a grown woman but acts like a petulant kid every time her scores come in.

My opinion? Well I was talking specifically about Olympic Gold medalists (and medalists in general) who should show a great deal of sportsmanship and dignity - after all, this is the greatest competition of them all, the dream of so many young children - the Olympics. My point was that her behavior was not appropriate for an OGM or any medalist at all. Ashley Wagner doesn't really fit that description, and she doesn't really act that way all the time; if I recall correctly, she was able to control herself at the Olympics.

My opinion? Well I was talking specifically about Olympic Gold medalists (and medalists in general) who should show a great deal of sportsmanship and dignity - after all, this is the greatest competition of them all, the dream of so many young children - the Olympics. My point was that her behavior was not appropriate for an OGM or any medalist at all. Ashley Wagner doesn't really fit that description, and she doesn't really act that way all the time; if I recall correctly, she was able to control herself at the Olympics.

If I recall correctly, her dislike over her scores during the portion she skated during the team event were blatantly obvious...
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fourt...-low-score-was-classic--photos-192339521.html

EDIT: Also, I feel like anyone competing at the same competition should be held to the same standard, whether they medal or not. They're all there for the same purpose - whether they're really "medal contenders" or not. Anyways, I was merely posting in response because Ashley's displeased expression at Sochi was discussed in a thread previously, I believe.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think the "disdain and disgust" draws from the immaturity Adelina showed which no Olympic gold medalist should show. Who walked out early during a press conference while another medalist was speaking, throwing her headphones unceremoniously on the table? Who said "I WANT ALL THE GOLD, ALL THE GOLD THERE IS, WORLDS GOLD, NATIONALS GOLD, ALL OF IT!!!"? Of course it wasn't in caps, but it was the message. Is this proper behavior for an Olympic Gold Medalist? I don't think so.

You could "blame" her age and inexperience (oh yeah, she's never really won a major senior medal before EC14!) but previous OGM never showed this utter disrespect and selfishness.

Oh right! Sorry, I forgot there are people who believe Adelina should not have shown any happiness on the podium, but rather, donned a mourning outfit and sobbed her way through it, while grovelling at Yuna's feet and hanging on her every word.

She was pulled out of the press conference by a Russian PR person. She did not leave of her own volition and was probably annoyed that she was pulled out. She showed ambition to want to win as many golds as possible - that's normal for a skater of that level! I would be worried about the skater who DIDN'T want that!

People are butthurt because she dared to beat their "Queen" Yuna. But the reaction has been utter lunacy. In these people's eyes Adelina could sacrifice herself on an altar for Yuna and hand her the gold while flogging herself with a whip and you wouldn't be satisfied!

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Oh right! Sorry, I forgot there are people who believe Adelina should not have shown any happiness on the podium, but rather, donned a mourning outfit and sobbed her way through it, while grovelling at Yuna's feet and hanging on her every word.

She was pulled out of the press conference by a Russian PR person. She did not leave of her own volition and was probably annoyed that she was pulled out. She showed ambition to want to win as many golds as possible - that's normal for a skater of that level! I would be worried about the skater who DIDN'T want that!

People are butthurt because she dared to beat their "Queen" Yuna. But the reaction has been utter lunacy. In these people's eyes Adelina could sacrifice herself on an altar for Yuna and hand her the gold while flogging herself with a whip and you wouldn't be satisfied!

LOL kind of off topic but do you remember Tara Lipniski's reaction to winning?

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
If I recall correctly, her dislike over her scores during the portion she skated during the team event were blatantly obvious...
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fourt...-low-score-was-classic--photos-192339521.html

EDIT: Also, I feel like anyone competing at the same competition should be held to the same standard, whether they medal or not. They're all there for the same purpose - whether they're really "medal contenders" or not. Anyways, I was merely posting in response because Ashley's displeased expression at Sochi was discussed in a thread previously, I believe.

Okay, sure, I don't really follow Wagner so I don't know of all her reactions. But I think my point is clear about OGM.

I cannot take the Sochi results seriously, so I am going to abstain from replying to the other post which clearly missed this point.

StylishDreaming

Rinkside

Are you seriously suggesting that her one-time reaction is representative of her attitude "every time her scores come in"? Did you watch her SP and FS in the individual event? She received her scores pretty gracefully. That expression from the team event happened to go viral and that's the only reason it's been so "memorable". As far as I can remember, she's never expressed outright discontent with her scores at any other competition.