Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

Nadya

On the Ice
Sotnikova isnt a big draw anywhere but Russia, even without the massive Olympic controversy which is fully just. To invite her to such a show would be pointless, regardless of the angst towards Sotnikova in Korea. Kim typically invites only the most popular skaters to her show, that will sell the most tickets, and Sotnikova ever prior to the Sochi farce wouldnt have been that person (obviously even less so now).

The disdain and disgust to Sotnikova extends far beyond "Kim fans" btw.
I think it's weird that you have so much emotion toward people you don't know.

If I was either Kim OR Sotnikova, I'd find you equally creepy.

winky97

Medalist
Oh right! Sorry, I forgot there are people who believe Adelina should not have shown any happiness on the podium, but rather, donned a mourning outfit and sobbed her way through it, while grovelling at Yuna's feet and hanging on her every word.

She was pulled out of the press conference by a Russian PR person. She did not leave of her own volition and was probably annoyed that she was pulled out. She showed ambition to want to win as many golds as possible - that's normal for a skater of that level! I would be worried about the skater who DIDN'T want that!

People are butthurt because she dared to beat their "Queen" Yuna. But the reaction has been utter lunacy. In these people's eyes Adelina could sacrifice herself on an altar for Yuna and hand her the gold while flogging herself with a whip and you wouldn't be satisfied!

No one said anything about Adelina needing to grovel at anyone's feet, but there is a such thing as being a gracious winner. Everyone that wins is happy and shows it, but jumping up and down on the podium is not good. I don't think I have ever seen that before. Every competitor wants to win, but giving an interview right after your controversial "win" talking about how you want all the gold out there is a bad idea. There is a way to express your desire for future success without coming off as arrogant. When I read that she said that I was hoping that something got lost in translation.

As for the press conference, how do you know that Adelina was pulled by the federation? If this is true that her federation pulled her out, her federation needs to not do that again. From what I read, it is customary that the medalists leave the press conference together. While it is certainly not the end of the world that Adelina left prior to the conclusion of the press conference, if it is customary that the medalists leave together, than that is what should have happened.

Honestly some of Adelina's supporters keep making remarks about Yuna's fans expecting Yuna to treated in this exceptional way, but those same supporters act as though nothing about Adelina should ever be criticized. I think Adelina is getting hate that I don't think that she deserves, but she is not perfect and should probably work of her post-medal behavior.

Nadya

On the Ice
I think the "disdain and disgust" draws from the immaturity Adelina showed which no Olympic gold medalist should show. Who walked out early during a press conference while another medalist was speaking, throwing her headphones unceremoniously on the table? Who said "I WANT ALL THE GOLD, ALL THE GOLD THERE IS, WORLDS GOLD, NATIONALS GOLD, ALL OF IT!!!"? Of course it wasn't in caps, but it was the message. Is this proper behavior for an Olympic Gold Medalist? I don't think so.

You could "blame" her age and inexperience (oh yeah, she's never really won a major senior medal before EC14!) but previous OGM never showed this utter disrespect and selfishness.
I don't see what's wrong with expressing a wish to win many more competition. I find nothing improper with that.

Re: press conference, I understand skaters walk in and out all the time.

You should also know that Sotnikova and Kostner are competition BFFs.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see what's wrong with expressing a wish to win many more competition. I find nothing improper with that.

Re: press conference, I understand skaters walk in and out all the time.

You should also know that Sotnikova and Kostner are competition BFFs.

Are you sure about that last sentence? I heard Adelina doesn't roll like that.

http://instagram.com/p/mS770KSoo5/

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
No one said anything about Adelina needing to grovel at anyone's feet, but there is a such thing as being a gracious winner. Everyone that wins is happy and shows it, but jumping up and down on the podium is not good. I don't think I have ever seen that before. Every competitor wants to win, but giving an interview right after your controversial "win" talking about how you want all the gold out there is a bad idea. There is a way to express your desire for future success without coming off as arrogant. When I read that she said that I was hoping that something got lost in translation.

As for the press conference, how do you know that Adelina was pulled by the federation? If this is true that her federation pulled her out, her federation needs to not do that again. From what I read, it is customary that the medalists leave the press conference together. While it is certainly not the end of the world that Adelina left prior to the conclusion of the press conference, if it is customary that the medalists leave together, than that is what should have happened.

Thank you. Exactly what I meant.

Nadya

On the Ice
No one said anything about Adelina needing to grovel at anyone's feet, but there is a such thing as being a gracious winner. Everyone that wins is happy and shows it, but jumping up and down on the podium is not good. I don't think I have ever seen that before. Every competitor wants to win, but giving an interview right after your controversial "win" talking about how you want all the gold out there is a bad idea. There is a way to express your desire for future success without coming off as arrogant. When I read that she said that I was hoping that something got lost in translation. .
I seriously don't see that. Can you tell me why you feel that way? I saw it as a terribly excited kid who just won big, super big, and affirms her love for competition by saying she wants to win more gold. She didn't say she is entitled to one, or even that she WILL win it, she said she wanted to win many more golds. What's so arrogant about that?

Are you seriously suggesting that her one-time reaction is representative of her attitude "every time her scores come in"? Did you watch her SP and FS in the individual event? She received her scores pretty gracefully. That expression from the team event happened to go viral and that's the only reason it's been so "memorable". As far as I can remember, she's never expressed outright discontent with her scores at any other competition.

No... First of all, Idk why you're quoting things like "every time her scores come in" or "memorable" when I didn't even say that. Nor did I suggest that her widely publicized Olympic team event reaction was indicative of her general attitude... Perhaps, you didn't read the posts closely enough or pay attention to who all was saying things - but I don't appreciate having words put in my mouth that I never said.
If you had read the previous conversation, then you would know that I was responding to Miss Ice who said that Ashley was able to control herself throughout the Olympics, which technically isn't true (which is all I pointed out). ;) And you're correct. It is a recent memory because the Olympics just happened within the past couple of months; and it was discussed in a thread on this forum...
And yes, I watched all of the Olympics (not just skating)...I'm not negatively judging Ashley for facial expressions, but if someone is going to say she didn't have an upset expression during the Olympics specifically while bashing another skater for ambition, then I am going to point out where they are glaringly mistaken.

And tbh, idc about Ashley or Adelina's responses. I don't get my panties in a bunch over individuals when they're upset or ambitious - to each their own. May they both find success in the upcoming quad as many good new girls are hot on their heels

makaihime

Final Flight
All this hate against Adelina is making my stomach turn. Shes just a 17 year old kid people, a kid who everyone says is a sweetheart. While I might not agree with the results, she herself didn't rip the medal off Yuna's neck, nor did she put a gun to the judges head and say give me that gold. You all are just doing too much. She has to make money for her sister, and being an Olympic champ gives her that opportunity. I applaud her and I'm glad to see she's smiling.

evangeline

Record Breaker
No one said anything about Adelina needing to grovel at anyone's feet, but there is a such thing as being a gracious winner. Everyone that wins is happy and shows it, but jumping up and down on the podium is not good. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

Clearly you need to watch more figure skating award ceremonies. It's not that uncommon....for example:

Alexei Yagudin jumping up and down on the 2002 Olympic podium: http://youtu.be/UhIhlRUp1BI?t=3m40s
Florent Amodio jumping up and down on the 2011 Europeans podium: http://youtu.be/fot6qZuKYXw?t=1m23s
Volosozhar/Trankov, Stolbova/Klimov, Bobrova/Soloviev, Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Julia Lipnitskaya, Evgeni Plushenko on the 2014 Olympic team podium: http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Figure+Skating+Winter+Olympics+Day+2+MvqEdbk1LSll.jpg

I never thought I'd see the day when people are complaining that skaters are too demonstrative of their happiness when they win :rolleye:

nguyenghita

On the Ice
All this hate against Adelina is making my stomach turn. Shes just a 17 year old kid people, a kid who everyone says is a sweetheart. While I might not agree with the results, she herself didn't rip the medal off Yuna's neck, nor did she put a gun to the judges head and say give me that gold. You all are just doing too much. She has to make money for her sister, and being an Olympic champ gives her that opportunity. I applaud her and I'm glad to see she's smiling.
Well i'm not hate her as much as some people on her instagram, but i really dislike her attitude and never call her a sweetheart.

Days ago Korea media reported that in Adelina interview with Russia media, she said some bad things directly to Yuna. She said she deserved her win and Yuna lost because Yuna weaker than her, lol. As if that's not bad enough, Adelina even discussed about Yuna status in Korea, she said that she couldn't understand why Korean treated Yuna like president, she doesn't get that ...

I mean, seriously, not only that's a bad attitude for a champion, that's even a bad attitude for a normal educated girl when she said something not positive about her rival. Why even discussed about Yuna status? :rolleye:

Clearly you need to watch more figure skating award ceremonies. It's not that uncommon....for example:

Alexei Yagudin jumping up and down on the 2002 Olympic podium: http://youtu.be/UhIhlRUp1BI?t=3m40s
Florent Amodio jumping up and down on the 2011 Europeans podium: http://youtu.be/fot6qZuKYXw?t=1m23s
Volosozhar/Trankov, Stolbova/Klimov, Bobrova/Soloviev, Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Julia Lipnitskaya, Evgeni Plushenko on the 2014 Olympic team podium: http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Figure+Skating+Winter+Olympics+Day+2+MvqEdbk1LSll.jpg

I never thought I'd see the day when people are complaining that skaters are too demonstrative of their happiness when they win :rolleye:

:agree: Exactly! If a contestant is very politically correct, gracious, and kosher, people complain that he/she is insincere or has a bland personality... If a contestant shows his/her excitement or displeasure, people complain that he/she isn't gracious or that he/she is gloating or a poor sport. Heaven forbid, we all realize that there are exciting and disappointing moments in life that can garner strong emotions and reactions...

moviechick

On the Ice
Well i'm not hate her as much as some people on her instagram, but i really dislike her attitude and never call her a sweetheart.

Days ago Korea media reported that in Adelina interview with Russia media, she said some bad things directly to Yuna. She said she deserved her win and Yuna lost because Yuna weaker than her, lol. As if that's not bad enough, Adelina even discussed about Yuna status in Korea, she said that she couldn't understand why Korean treated Yuna like president, she doesn't get that ...

I mean, seriously, not only that's a bad attitude for a champion, that's even a bad attitude for a normal educated girl when she said something not positive about her rival. Why even discussed about Yuna status? :rolleye:

I'm sure the Korean media is totally unbiased and would never take anything out of context. :laugh:

makaihime

Final Flight
Don't care, apparently i know Korean so i follow them, haha. Hey, there is no smoke without fire :p

That says it all to me. :disapp: And alot of skaters who have actually MET and interacted with her says shes a very sweet girl so in comparison to a bitter (understandably so) media, I'll take their word for it.

Plus if I was getting as much hate as she did when she won that Gold, I'd be pissed off too and say things I'll later regret. No body is perfect and it was an extremely emotional time for all those involved. Everyone's so busy looking for reasons to crucify her that they don't realize they need to take a big step back and look at how they're treating this girl. I honestly hate how people are making me feel the need to defend her. I don't even like the girl much. :scowl: But damn, you people are just hateful.

That says it all to me. :disapp: And alot of skaters who have actually MET and interacted with her says shes a very sweet girl so in comparison to a bitter (understandably so) media, I'll take their word for it.

Plus if I was getting as much hate as she did when she won that Gold, I'd be pissed off too and say things I'll later regret. I honestly hate how people are making me feel the need to defend her. I don't even like the girl much. :scowl: But damn, you people are just hateful.

Makaihime, I feel your pain. I should've never glanced in this thread (considering none of the ladies on the podium are favs of mine), but I did....and then I just felt bad for her when I read so many ridiculously hateful comments.

sajoya

On the Ice

Plus if I was getting as much hate as she did when she won that Gold, I'd be pissed off too and say things I'll later regret. No body is perfect and it was an extremely emotional time for all those involved. Everyone's so busy looking for reasons to crucify her that they don't realize they need to take a big step back and look at how they're treating this girl. I honestly hate how people are making me feel the need to defend her. I don't even like the girl much. :scowl: But damn, you people are just hateful.

^^^^^^ THIS!!!

I'm not taking any sides at all. We don't really know the true story behind this so can we not be putting words into both of these girls mouths? I say we blame those damn judges and the ISU for allowing that one judge to be there. Go to them and complain, but leave this girl out of it. It baffles me at how much people are willing to go to express their hatred for her, such as writing death threats and bashing her on Instagram. Just like makaihime, I'm no fan but I do feel bad for her knowing how she's being treated at the moment.

cooper

Medalist
i bet if yuna has her own instagram i'm sure she will received even more hateful messages... maybe not in korea but elsewhere..

just look at those hateful videos from youtube since 2009..

i still remember how they made up a rumor about her sex video.. :disapp:

trolls are everywhere in the internet... they're everywhere...

been there..