Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

nguyenghita

On the Ice
What?? She's not allowed to talk about Yuna. :think: That is kind of silly if you think about. I mean how does she defend herself otherwise? I feel like people are really grabbing on to the last straws here. She is free to say whatever she wants. Just like you. You don't even have to agree but you really shouldn't tell people how to think and speak.
Hm, in that case, you guys could also stop to tell someone else "do not bash Adelina, you suck, she is just 17 yrs blah blah blah", they can say whatever they want about her, not your bussiness after all :rolleye:

I mean, for her sake, do not give yuna's fans more reasons to make them angrier. She has billion ways to defend herself without mention directly yuna, especially in this kind of negative view.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
What is so negative? This is what confuses me.
Something such as "her program weaker than mine, she didn't do this and that, so i deserved my win", "Koreans bashed me because she is like their president" ... lol. I won't go far about this, but it's just too ridiculous, so like-17yrs-girl, lol :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fair enough. I guess seeing certain posts on GS that have shred Yulia I've just grown used to a lot meaner talk than "her program wasn't as difficult mine" or "it was Koreans who were cursing me" on my social media. I guess were all sensitive to different things and I can respect that.

moviechick

On the Ice
Hm, in that case, you guys could also stop to tell someone else "do not bash Adelina, you suck, she is just 17 yrs blah blah blah", they can say whatever they want about her, not your bussiness after all :rolleye:

I mean, for her sake, do not give yuna's fans more reasons to make them angrier. She has billion ways to defend herself without mention directly yuna, especially in this kind of negative view.

When the psychos who harass her online are 99% Yuna fans from Korea, how else is she going to respond to the question without mentioning Yuna. It's not like she brought up this topic, the interviewer asked her.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
When the psychos who harass her online are 99% Yuna fans from Korea, how else is she going to respond to the question without mentioning Yuna. It's not like she brought up this topic, the interviewer asked her.
If you ask how to mention your competitor without any flashback from your rival's fans, ask Yuna or Mao about that :) They have talk about each other so many time in their career, but always answered those stupid questions with nothing but class and show so much respect to each other, since the begin till the end.

wannahockachewie

Spectator

Easy. Just take the high road and focus on the positive aspects of your own skate. This is what the majority of level-headed athletes do. Those that don't just come off as mean-spirited or overly defensive.

qwertyskates

Medalist
No one was talking about "points" or "hierarchy". There is something called respect though, and she doesn't show it by her behavior and her interview answers. Or at least no one has taught her to show it (on the contrary...).

Well, have Yuna and her fans shown respect to Adelina? Yuna herself said she did not understand the results, specifically spoke out against press reports that she conceded the gold, so she is making clear that she does not agree with the results. Naturally her fans are all up in arms. Why would Adelina have to say all these things to defend her win if she hasn't been at the receiving end of vitriol, abuses, threats, etc.? In fact, she and her Fed did not retaliate at all, she simply defended her win at a friendly press interview. She is within her rights to address the controversy.

So these fans act in a horrible towards Adelina and you want to pick on her defense of herself against these attacks instead of condemning the attacks?

This is how it goes:

Respect the other person -> the other person respects you back.

Attack the other person -> the other person defends herself against your attack/attacks you back.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
This is how it goes:

Attack the other person -> the other person defends herself against your attack/attack you back.
Well, if you think like that, fine, your Adelina could enjoy the hate toward her in a long long time to date. And you guys could also stop whinning about how others bully her, because what, it's back to back attack. She against Yuna so Yuna's fans attack her, fair enough :laugh:

While Adelina too busy to defend herself, Yuna still enjoy her fame, her weath and her royal life, sound perfect for me :p

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Well, have Yuna and her fans shown respect to Adelina? Yuna herself said she did not understand the results, specifically spoke out against press reports that she conceded the gold, so she is making clear that she does not agree with the results. Naturally her fans are all up in arms. Why would Adelina have to say all these things to defend her win if she hasn't been at the receiving end of vitriol, abuses, threats, etc.? In fact, she and her Fed did not retaliate at all, she simply defended her win at a friendly press interview. She is within her rights to address the controversy.

So these fans act in a horrible towards Adelina and you want to pick on her defense of herself against these attacks instead of condemning the attacks?

This is how it goes:

Attack the other person -> the other person defends herself against your attack/attacks you back.

When did Yuna ever said something to attack Adelina? And why are you generalizing Yuna fans? I am a Yuna fan and I don't attack Adelina, personally or otherwise. The actions of a few do not reflect the entirety.

From what I understood from her interview, Adelina did not only talk about the crazy fans bashing her but YUNA also, a person who has never done anything wrong to her. Defend yourself from those attacking you, NOT the person who had nothing to do with it. And Yuna has more rights to say the results confused her more than any of us here.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
And yet you tend to show zero respect towards Russian figure skaters.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_pot_calling_the_kettle_black

What? Where did I show zero respect for "Russian figure skaters" in general? Was there anything that I said that even remotely has to do with disrespecting Russian figure skaters? I was just trying to clarify jatale's point, and show how it applies to the behavior we are seeing.

P.S. 17 year old is not a 10 year old. One has a common sense at that age; and at 17, you are considered an adult in some countries and are allowed to do responsible things like driving, being tried as an adult in court, giving consent, etc - so why should we excuse inappropriate behavior on the grounds of "17-year-old"? Just a curious question. Not meant to insult or offend. Just think about it. :rolleye:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Every time little Ms "Big Soul" opens her mouth, I just dislike her a little bit more. Shades of Scott Moir.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
If you ask how to mention your competitor without any flashback from your rival's fans, ask Yuna or Mao about that :) They have talk about each other so many time in their career, but always answered those stupid questions with nothing but class and show so much respect to each other, since the begin till the end.

I am sure that she, Yulia, Pogo, and others will have media training - no one before Olympics expected it was so essential . I am not sure that Mao and Yuna always said what they actually thought. It is called political correctness and yes life experience. Then I bet that next time when any of the top russian girls find themselves in a controversial situation and are asked similar questions they will just answer: "I did my best. It's up to judges to decide". Everyone will be happier?

nguyenghita

On the Ice
I am sure that she, Yulia, Pogo, and others will have media training - no one before Olympics expected it was so essential . I am not sure that Mao and Yuna always said what they actually thought. It is called political correctness and yes life experience. Then I bet that next time when any of the top russian girls find themselves in a controversial situation and are asked similar questions they will just answer: "I did my best. It's up to judges to decide". Everyone will be happier?
Don't know about Mao, but Yuna keep her humble attitude since she was nobody on the world stage, very young age, not sure how could she had media training at that time, lol :laugh:

And yes, if they said something like that then it will good for them.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That would be awful. I am so tired of PC crap like that. I like that Yulia kind of scares me and will speak her mind. If everyone just says what they are expected to say....**sigh** boring!!

I agree with WeakAnkles. The more Adelina talks the less I like her but I still don't think she needs to change her responses to make Yuna fans happy. Lol. It's funny that in the end that's what it's coming down too. I may not like what she says...a lot...but I certainly don't need her to change. I'd rather an honest jerk than a fake smiley "friend".

anyanka

Record Breaker
That would be awful. I am so tired of PC crap like that. I like that Yulia kind of scares me and will speak her mind. If everyone just says what they are expected to say....**sigh** boring!!

I agree with WeakAnkles. The more Adelina talks the less I like her but I still don't think she needs to change her responses to make Yuna fans happy. Lol. It's funny that in the end that's what it's coming down too. I may not like what she says...a lot...but I certainly don't need her to change. I'd rather an honest jerk than a fake smiley "friend".

It's a small community and they generally get along, but they are also all fierce competitors and quite frankly I think I prefer someone who doesn't need to sugar-coat everything. I guess that's why I like Ashley. Nothing anyone could say could top the two seconds her face registered consternation and disapproval quite like her team SP score.

Yulia's probably had media training but is probably just going to say what she likes and the honesty is indeed refreshing. And Yuna's shock at not winning gold humanized her and made me actually like her more. Dunno how I feel about Adelina from the limited content in interviews I've seen so far, since I haven't seen much.

On the other hand, there's a fine line between being honest and just being plain sour grapes. And unless Adelina says something truly shocking and disrespectful (i.e. if she were to suddenly make racist comments, which isn't going to happen), nothing beats Surya Bonaly's refusal to get onto the 1994 worlds podium. That was the high water mark (or lowest point depending on your view) in being completely honest.

Mafke

Medalist
I am not sure that Mao and Yuna always said what they actually thought. It is called political correctness and yes life experience.
Then I bet that next time when any of the top russian girls find themselves in a controversial situation and are asked similar questions they will just answer: "I did my best. It's up to judges to decide". Everyone will be happier?

I doubt they'll get any training.
IME no slavic nation is noted for being tactful or diplomatic and the cultures are much more about making your case and not backing down (until you face overwhelming force). The worst that can be said about Sotnikova's remarks from that point of view is.... nothing, she's doing fine.

Asada and Kim are from cultures where the road to victory lies in avoiding confrontation or the appearance of disagreement (why most of the cyber hate has been anonymous). I'm sure that if Sotnikova ever skates in Korea the audience will be tactful and respectful. Should Sotnikova choose to defend her title in 2018 I really doubt the crowd will chant Han-Kuk! Han-kuk! while she's waiting for her scores......

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

I didn't have a problem with what she said about fan(atics) writing curses etc on her Facebook/Instagram accounts. It was pretty much everything else that made me shrug and go "ugh."

jatale

On the Ice
There are no elders in competition. There are no points awarded for age. There is no hierarchy. Everyone on the ice at the same competition is an equal. I'm sure Adelina respects her competitors as equals but she doesn't owe anyone any deference.

I respectfully disagree. All professionals owe deference and appreciation to those who came before them, this is true in every field of human endeavor. It is the mark of a mature professional to know and acknowledge the contributions of those who came before. My guess is that Adelina being only 17 and angry, said some things that she will later regret, but it is also possible she is just arrogant. In any event, I respect people who are humble way more than people who are arrogant, and in my experience humble people often are the most accomplished.

qwertyskates

Medalist
When did Yuna ever said something to attack Adelina? And why are you generalizing Yuna fans? I am a Yuna fan and I don't attack Adelina, personally or otherwise. The actions of a few do not reflect the entirety.

From what I understood from her interview, Adelina did not only talk about the crazy fans bashing her but YUNA also, a person who has never done anything wrong to her. Defend yourself from those attacking you, NOT the person who had nothing to do with it. And Yuna has more rights to say the results confused her more than any of us here.

Adelina did not attack Yuna. She was answering the allegations that she "robbed" Yuna, she had to say she skated better than Yuna. For the record, Yuna didn't do anything to mitigate this perception. In explaining why the Koreans and Yuna fans were acting the way they did, death threats, abuses, etc., she also remarked that Yuna is akin to the president there, which isn't so off the mark as as Yuna is revered as Queen Yuna. This offers perspective on why she (and Russia) is under attack the way she is.

I don't see how any of this is rude to Yuna, perhaps to Koreans culturally, you can't even mention Yuna without permission and only with genuflection, but this isn't something culturally universal. Now, is it obligatory for Koreans to show the same cultural respect to Mao, Suzuki and other skaters and have they?

For everything you accuse of others, perhaps it might be prudent to first consider the POV of the other person.