Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

ginal

Rinkside
Adelina skipping worlds...weak. Hanyu not only showed up, but won. Yuna showed up to worlds after olympics last time even though she had nothing to prove. THAT is gutsy. We will see whether Adelina shows ANY staying power or will be a flash in the pan a la Tara.

ginal

Rinkside
Tara was never the golden child

Not fair at all to bring up Tara in that reference. Tara in her 2 best seasons won U.S Nationals, 2 grand prix finals, Worlds, and Olympics. She dominated the great Michelle Kwan, relegating perhaps the greatest skater ever to a consistent 2nd best skater in the world for about 18 months. Sotnikova could only dream of being Tara Lipinski and her career at this point. If she manages to achieve half of what Tara did, I will commend her and congratulate her heartily despite my disagrement with her Olympic win, as I really dont think she will come even close.

I will give Tara winning a few things before olympics but dominating kwan? please. There is a reason why the US fell in love with Kwan and not Tara. If Tara had stayed in it and competed, we could have some discussion on that, but she left skating so quickly, it was Tara who? I don't know why anyone would dream of being Tara...
We'll see what adelina does or does not, but BOTH Tara and Adelina wimped out on worlds after olympics, in that, they are the same. They remind me of one another in other ways too, and not in any good way. I would also be more likely to give Tara some credit if she had skated after hitting puberty.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I would have really enjoyed to see Adelina there, but I do understand why she didn't go. And she probably didn't have a choice - the Russian federation probably wouldn't have let her go, even if she had demanded it.
Her presence would have shaken up the entire podium. Perhaps she could've done as well as Anna, maybe better, maybe worse. But we won't know, and either way she probably would've gotten a lot of hate. I hope she continues to improve and compete though, I do enjoy watching her skate even though I disagree with the Sochi results.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Not fair at all to bring up Tara in that reference. Tara in her 2 best seasons won U.S Nationals, 2 grand prix finals, Worlds, and Olympics. She dominated the great Michelle Kwan, relegating perhaps the greatest skater ever to a consistent 2nd best skater in the world for about 18 months. Sotnikova could only dream of being Tara Lipinski and her career at this point. If she manages to achieve half of what Tara did, I will commend her and congratulate her heartily despite my disagrement with her Olympic win, as I really dont think she will come even close.

To be fair, every skater including Kwan could only dream of having the 2 amazing seasons that Lipinski had.

ginal

Rinkside
ROTFL do not take what I said out of context (I can already smell a Kwaniac a mile away and your tone of that post shows that is the category you fall under). I never implied Tara has a greater overall legacy in the sport than Kwan, a greater career, is a greater champion today, and is a greater star. However for 15 months, on the ice in competitions she dominated everyone, Kwan included. That is a fact. She entered 6 major events those two seasons (missing 1) and won 5. She met Michelle in 5 of those and won 4 of 5. So yes she compiled a series of wins, and did it by dominating the great Kwan in that stretch to do so. Yes she doesnt have impressive longevity, but she cant be compared to Sotnikova who right now is truly a 1 event wonder, and who has such a huge controversy tagged to that one victory (which Tara has to none of her wins) that it drags down its value somewhat anyway.

I am a fan of Kwan's, so what? As I said before, I will give Tara due credit for having some victories, but her entire career is undermined by the fact that she got like 1 inch off the ice when she jumped, she barely hit puberty before she retired, and she never gutsied up to face Kwan or anyone else ever again. Dominate to me is someone who stays in something MORE than 15 months and who wins for more than 15 mos. 15 months is a flash in the pan. If not for Kwan, I would have trouble remembering Tara. At least Adelina has hit puberty. Good god, now you have me defending Adelina now, who I am NO fan of, because you are such a little ****. Good grief.

ginal

Rinkside
I would have really enjoyed to see Adelina there, but I do understand why she didn't go. And she probably didn't have a choice - the Russian federation probably wouldn't have let her go, even if she had demanded it.
Her presence would have shaken up the entire podium. Perhaps she could've done as well as Anna, maybe better, maybe worse. But we won't know, and either way she probably would've gotten a lot of hate. I hope she continues to improve and compete though, I do enjoy watching her skate even though I disagree with the Sochi results.

Why in the world would the Russian federation not let their gold medal winner go to worlds? :think:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Why in the world would the Russian federation not let their gold medal winner go to worlds? :think:

Everyone says it's so that they don't have their gold medalist lose.

Interestingly I'm wondering if it's because they knew it was in Japan and they couldn't pull their shenanigans, so the best Sotnikova could have done was 2nd (which was probably the case, actually).

Given how much sticklers the judging panel were, she certainly would have had to be more rotated and more lutzy than in Sochi.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Adelina skipping worlds...weak.

Yuna was the exception. Shizuka (06), Hughes (02), Lipinski (98) and Baiul (94) all skipped worlds. The skaters are promoted heavily and do a ton of extracurricular activities that take away from training time. I don't think she would have been able to perform as well as Anna given how little time she could focus on her preparation.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Everyone says it's so that they don't have their gold medalist lose.

Interestingly I'm wondering if it's because they knew it was in Japan and they couldn't pull their shenanigans, so the best Sotnikova could have done was 2nd (which was probably the case, actually).

Given how much sticklers the judging panel were, she certainly would have had to be more rotated and more lutzy than in Sochi.

Certainly Julia's flutz was suddenly again visible in Sochi. Perhaps Adelina' s would also have reappeared.

But it was probably not wise of Adelina to give an opportunity to whomever the Russian Fed might pick to skate in Japan.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Certainly Julia's flutz was suddenly again visible in Sochi. Perhaps Adelina' s would also have reappeared.
But it was probably not wise of Adelina to give an opportunity to whomever the Russian Fed might pick to skate in Japan.
They gave Anna the chance to shine, so I am okay with that. In love with Anna now.:love:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Adelina is an inconsistent skater. It is never wise to give an opportunity to shine to one's competitors for the spot of number one in the country, especially if one is inconsistent. Of course, I guess, it never hurt Plush' s status at home when he lost to Yagudin internationally.... but Plush was not inconsistent.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Adelina was in a lose-lose situation. If she went and skated poorly or lost, then the haters would pile on screaming about how this was proof her gold was "tainted" or "invalid" or whatever rubbish they come up with - and hey, they'd probably throw some more abuse at her on social media to add it on.

If she went and won or skated very cleanly and medalled behind, say, a perfect Mao, then the haters would carry on like pork chops about how Russia is paying off all the judges because Adelina jumps like a hippo and no way could she win without the judges help.

And then if she didn't go at all, people would call her a coward and weak and pathetic and that she must have been in on the fix and she was too scared to skate.

So poor Adelina could not possibly have won no matter which option she chose.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Oh poof.

That will be true of every competition she skates in from now on, with the possible exception of Russian Nationals. If she feels that way, she'd better quit skating entirely. In fact, perhaps every skater who ever won a close competition should quit skating.

People complaining about the scoring are the main staple of all skating forums and most skating journalism.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh poof.

That will be true of every competition she skates in from now on, with the possible exception of Russian Nationals. If she feels that way, she'd better quit skating entirely. In fact, perhaps every skater who ever won a close competition should quit skating.

People complaining about the scoring are the main staple of all skating forums and most skating journalism.
:thumbsup: That's true, the measure of a true champion is the gut to move on and show people you are worthy of the title. Just like what Hanyu did yesterday. The kid still has a lot to prove, he isn't a complete skater, but at least he showed the world that he could be a fighter to redeem for the mistakes he made at Sochi. At first I didn't take him seriously, then he fell in SP, I thought he would never be able to make it, then he made it. Not the long program that I would want to remember from him but it showed his will. Kudos him for that.

Actually, I would like that Adelina didn't skip the worlds, because even if she fell and scored worse than Mao, people still can say she was tired and lost the motivation after Sochi. And Japan is Mao's home rink so it's okay to lose to Mao, not to mention Mao is strong. Since both Julia and Caro didn't perform their best here, Adelina could have had chance for medal.

Now it's turn to Anna to shine, I am happy for her. I hope Anna will be more appreciated by Russian Fed.

Meoima

Match Penalty
it's wise for AdeSot to retire than to continue......:think:
I guess they will send her out next year, but only after giving her enough preparation. But with all the hate and expectation, I don't know if she can prove it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't defend Sotnikova's win, but people are reading into much about her not attending Worlds. The Olympics were a month prior and as Olympic champion she was probably very busy after to train adequately for Worlds. Other than Kim, who bombed when she tried to compete after winning Vancouver, no OGM up to Yamaguchi competed at Worlds right after the Olympics. Sotnikova will come back next year... She lacks a World title and like Hughes will want to gun for it. There's no sense in tearing her down because she got it together at the Olympics an then decided to build for a World title next season.