Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
2014 sochi, favoritism and inflated scores led sotnikova won gold. all the world know including russian fed.

different judge panels at world, hope fair score, that means, sotnikova will get the scores between 175-190.. scores that she used get from previous competitions

If Adelina skated clean she would have been over 200, let's not get too crazy or at least would have had a shot at gold or the very least a silver or bronze. You know I kind of feel like Tara and Sarah were flash in the pans or kind of flukey or at least non inspirational wins but even with Baiul's jumping issues there was something magical but that is just me, just an opinion. Sadly now a days a lot of the skating is so perfunctory - ie Ssquared's win in Japan.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Adelina would have certainly been over 200 if she were clean. And possibly clinched the silver. I mean, Julia got 207 with a <<fall and both flutzes called, and everyone knows that Adelina is a superior skater overall.

The gold was out of reach, given Mao's perfect SP, which would have built a 3-4 point lead at least, and there's no way in the FS Adelina would have scored over 140 points to surpass Mao, especially outside of Russia and with that stickler of a technical panel.

jkun

Final Flight
The russians have so much depth in the ladies' field it is actually ridiculous and it is kind of upsetting that many won't get the chance to shine. There could be a Carolina Kostner among them that never gets time to mature because there's just so many of them competing against one another!

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
No, it wasn't wise. Now everyone knows for sure that she was a fake Olympic champion from a staged, fake Olympics.

tjskate

Rinkside
Wow. Poor girl. Even if you believe all the judging conspiracy talk, it's hardly fair to Adelina to be judged so harshly.

These are all hard-working, competitive young women, who deserve at least an iota of respect. With all the up and coming talent out there, I am guessing we will see the podium traded around quite a bit in the next couple years.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No, it wasn't wise. Now everyone knows for sure that she was a fake Olympic champion from a staged, fake Olympics.

Here's the thing. If she competed, she likely would have lost to Mao's score even if she skated perfectly, and people would say the same thing.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow. Poor girl. Even if you believe all the judging conspiracy talk, it's hardly fair to Adelina to be judged so harshly.

These are all hard-working, competitive young women, who deserve at least an iota of respect. With all the up and coming talent out there, I am guessing we will see the podium traded around quite a bit in the next couple years.

Thank you. People forget these are athletes and human beings and have an axe to grind over bad judging which the skaters have no control over. Trying to trivialize skaters' successes is mean and delusional -- no matter how Sotnikova placed, she was essentially clean and that is my takeaway from her Olympics.

I'm not, like other people, setting her up as some inevitable disappointment which will expose how lame her Sochi win was. The medals have been awarded, get over the result, and move on to next season.

Even if she never wins again, I will not stoop to ridiculing her for it as some people already are doing.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
If Adelina skated clean she would have been over 200, let's not get too crazy or at least would have had a shot at gold or the very least a silver or bronze. You know I kind of feel like Tara and Sarah were flash in the pans or kind of flukey or at least non inspirational wins but even with Baiul's jumping issues there was something magical but that is just me, just an opinion. Sadly now a days a lot of the skating is so perfunctory - ie Ssquared's win in Japan.

Lipinski and Baiul both came to Olympics as World champions,
Hughes was Worlds and GPF Bronze medalist, And has beaten both Kwan and Slutskaya at that years Skate Canada.

I get the comparison and the need to lump 'em together, But it's still false for me, Sotnikova's win was by far the most random in history

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Please explain how she was a fake Olympic champion. Did she not compete like every one else? Did she award herself the Gold Medal? Glad this years skating season is over and maybe by next year some of you can let go of all the hate. I hope Adelina becomes a billionaire like Yuna so she can help her family.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

lol, the Yuna fans are still here ?
didnt the so called queen retire for good alrady ? I thought that was good riddance already :scowl:

usethis2

Medalist
I find it interesting that some Sotbots (or Putinbots) love to make comments with racial undertone. Coincidence?

usethis2

Medalist
For instance, we had another resident example here a few weeks ago in judging scandal thread where one lady, a transparent Sotbot, kept calling out those whose first language isn't English. For a while she restrained herself to "I see that your first language is not English" as if that had anything to do with the topic in hand. (it didn't, she just had to point that out repeatedly for whatever reason) Later on she revealed her true self when she commented to a Filipino person how wonderful Filipinos are as house maids.

I am thinking more than simple coincidences here.

Alba

Record Breaker
Anna P. was the Denis Ten to Carolina Kostner's Patrick Chan, 2013 Worlds. Both had clean SPs, but Kostner being clean gave her an 11 point advantage. Then Kostner bombed the FS to finish 4.5 points behind a technically maxed-out Pogorilaya, but still beat her overall because of the clean SP.

Of course, people assume Pogo was robbed (I for one think she was, just like Ten) because she wasn't as popular as Kostner. And Kostner somehow got 10 points higher PCS for her hot mess of a FS than Pogorilaya. :rolleye:

:thumbsup:

Nadya

On the Ice
For instance, we had another resident example here a few weeks ago in judging scandal thread where one lady, a transparent Sotbot, kept calling out those whose first language isn't English. For a while she restrained herself to "I see that your first language is not English" as if that had anything to do with the topic in hand. (it didn't, she just had to point that out repeatedly for whatever reason) Later on she revealed her true self when she commented to a Filipino person how wonderful Filipinos are as house maids.

I am thinking more than simple coincidences here.
Resident Sotbot?

My dear, I joined this forum ten years before you did, before there was ever a girl named Adelina.

But I see it doesn't stop you from making stuff up about me. Did I ever say "Filipinos make wonderful housemaids?" I said my Filipino nanny's English was excellent. Provide a quote where I said anything about Filipinos as housemaids or admit you lied. Since you won't be able to find that quote, just go ahead and admit you lied.

(Actually, I have no idea if Filipinos make good housemaids, we never had a Filipino one. My nanny would have slapped anyone who called her a housemaid.)

uncchristine99

Rinkside
I always love to see Olympic champions at the immediately following Worlds... I hate how Worlds is so backburner in Olympic years but hey, Kimmie Meissner is forever a World Champion because some skaters didn't show up at Worlds immediately following Turino, just saying!

It would have been great to see Adelina compete here and face the world and her critics. We'll probably never know if this was her decision or the federation's. As with all ladies OGMs, I can only imagine the media firestorm around her OGM so if she didn't have time to literally train, that's one thing... but hiding out because of the judging backlash from Sochi just adds fuel to the fire. There are lots of people who would love to see her fail and vindicate that her OGM was "gifted." It's really up to her to show the world otherwise and seeing how emotional and angry she was at having become Russia's #2 after the team event, I'm willing to bet that the Russian federation cut her out of these Worlds. Knowing her attitude and fire from Sochi, I bet anything that she was dying to be here to prove herself and shut up a lot of peeps in the world.

I figure every OGM gets the benefit of the doubt at every post-OGM competition, assuming their OGM-winning performance itself is bulletproof. Yuna had a terrible time at Worlds following her OGM but you know, she showed up and people respect that, even though the wear and tear on her training and mental game showed. Despite her troubles, her Worlds performance had no bearing on her OGM win. It was just chalked up as a "bad day" or not enough training time or having had major distractions since her OGM.

Adelina doesn't get the benefit of that because her OGM itself is disputed and not being here to answer any questions didn't help. The speculations will continue to fly until she makes a competitive reappearance because otherwise, people will just say Russia is hiding her and maybe they are. Who knows?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always love to see Olympic champions at the immediately following Worlds... I hate how Worlds is so backburner in Olympic years but hey, Kimmie Meissner is forever a World Champion because some skaters didn't show up at Worlds immediately following Turino, just saying!

It would have been great to see Adelina compete here and face the world and her critics. We'll probably never know if this was her decision or the federation's. As with all ladies OGMs, I can only imagine the media firestorm around her OGM so if she didn't have time to literally train, that's one thing... but hiding out because of the judging backlash from Sochi just adds fuel to the fire. There are lots of people who would love to see her fail and vindicate that her OGM was "gifted." It's really up to her to show the world otherwise and seeing how emotional and angry she was at having become Russia's #2 after the team event, I'm willing to bet that the Russian federation cut her out of these Worlds. Knowing her attitude and fire from Sochi, I bet anything that she was dying to be here to prove herself and shut up a lot of peeps in the world.

I figure every OGM gets the benefit of the doubt at every post-OGM competition, assuming their OGM-winning performance itself is bulletproof. Yuna had a terrible time at Worlds following her OGM but you know, she showed up and people respect that, even though the wear and tear on her training and mental game showed. Despite her troubles, her Worlds performance had no bearing on her OGM win. It was just chalked up as a "bad day" or not enough training time or having had major distractions since her OGM.

Adelina doesn't get the benefit of that because her OGM itself is disputed and not being here to answer any questions didn't help. The speculations will continue to fly until she makes a competitive reappearance because otherwise, people will just say Russia is hiding her and maybe they are. Who knows?
I have way more respect for Yuna showing up at Worlds in 2010 then Adelina not showing up. All season Yuna had the weight of a country on her shoulders to win that Olympic Gold medal and didn't need to skate at Worlds but did anyways. The strain and pressure finally got to her but she showed anyways. Adelina never had any of that pressure compared to Kim but still bailed out of Worlds. Tells me who is a real champion.