Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

wanpe

On the Ice
Actually I wanted her to show me (us skating fans) that she can be on the podium outside her home country.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
lol, the Yuna fans are still here ?
didnt the so called queen retire for good alrady ? I thought that was good riddance already :scowl:

Yuna fans would like us to believe that everyone hates Adelina. Sorry not everyone eats kimchi.

I think it's sad that these two supporters of the results (If that's even what these guys are, could just be antagonisers)

are holding on so strongly to the belief that you have to be a Korean, Or even just a Yuna fan to have any negative thoughts on this,

You'd have to be pretty insecure to absolutely refuse to face the music like that...

Nadya

On the Ice
I think it's extraordinarily selfish to insist that a 17-year old gives up her best money-making opportunity on the crest of her Olympic win just so that you have the satisfaction of seeing her compete and prove whatever you want her to prove. Who is going to pay her bills? You?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think it's extraordinarily selfish to insist that a 17-year old gives up her best money-making opportunity on the crest of her Olympic win just so that you have the satisfaction of seeing her compete and prove whatever you want her to prove. Who is going to pay her bills? You?

Word. None of us know Adelina or her priorities. If she wants to cash in on her success as Russia's first female singles gold medalist (legit or not), she is totally at liberty to do that.

She has nothing to prove to any of us, and honestly doesn't care if people outside of Russia sees her gold as not legit (like Paul Hamm). There's nothing we can say or no performance good or bad enough at Worlds that would have changed her Olympic gold medal.

usethis2

Medalist
Word. None of us know Adelina or her priorities. If she wants to cash in on her success as Russia's first female singles gold medalist (legit or not), she is totally at liberty to do that.
Don't you feel a slight bit of irony for you to say such truism? I for one do not believe any of the world class skaters bother to read this forum here. Nevertheless it's the Raison d'être of this forum or many other fan forums. And you know what, sometimes fans loud voice do get heard by the public figures and it does make differences.

She has nothing to prove to any of us, and honestly doesn't care if people outside of Russia sees her gold as not legit (like Paul Hamm). There's nothing we can say or no performance good or bad enough at Worlds that would have changed her Olympic gold medal.
From what I've heard Russians are the ones who definitely do not see her gold as legit, more than anyone else. Adelina of course has nothing to prove to us, just as Putin has nothing to prove to us. Oh, and George W. Bush has nothing to prove to us, either.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think it's sad that these two supporters of the results (If that's even what these guys are, could just be antagonisers)

are holding on so strongly to the belief that you have to be a Korean, Or even just a Yuna fan to have any negative thoughts on this,

You'd have to be pretty insecure to absolutely refuse to face the music like that...

the Yuna fans will never understand, sigh :disapp:

usethis2

Medalist
I have way more respect for Yuna showing up at Worlds in 2010 then Adelina not showing up. All season Yuna had the weight of a country on her shoulders to win that Olympic Gold medal and didn't need to skate at Worlds but did anyways. The strain and pressure finally got to her but she showed anyways. Adelina never had any of that pressure compared to Kim but still bailed out of Worlds. Tells me who is a real champion.

That is a little overkill, IMO. Adelina is, frankly, not very significant. Currently she is an inkblot compared to Yuna in the skating history. No need to try compare the two in the grand scheme of things because everyone knows.

BTW, Yuna's 2010 Worlds performance was hilarious. I know she went there to keep her words but she definitely had that "F This" attitude. I remember watching her performance and laughing all the way. :laugh:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I have way more respect for Yuna showing up at Worlds in 2010 then Adelina not showing up. All season Yuna had the weight of a country on her shoulders to win that Olympic Gold medal and didn't need to skate at Worlds but did anyways. The strain and pressure finally got to her but she showed anyways. Adelina never had any of that pressure compared to Kim but still bailed out of Worlds. Tells me who is a real champion.

I am sure accusation that she bailed out is groundless. For one thing she is a fight. I do not want to go into meaningless outdated discussion on judging and the quality of her skating in Sochi. But one thing for me is certain: she showed spark and passion while Yuna was lifeless although with the nice technique. Adelina admitted openly that she was furious for not getting a chance for the team's gold and she gave all that she could.

With only 2 russian quotes no doubt it was the federation's decision to send Anna who missed Europe and Olympics to build her international name for the next season. And Radionova had to go to Juniors. Next season is for these 4. Proklova and other wonder kids will have to skip, I guess.

anyanka

Record Breaker
If Adelina is cashing in now with ice shows and new endorsements, then great for her! I think we can all agree that if she's supporting her family, and if they need the money, then it's certainly a higher priority. I would love to have seen her compete but if that's what's important to her, then I respect her for it.

anyanka

Record Breaker
With only 2 russian quotes no doubt it was the federation's decision to send Anna who missed Europe and Olympics to build her international name for the next season. And Radionova had to go to Juniors. Next season is for these 4. Proklova and other wonder kids will have to skip, I guess.

If the competition is this fierce, we might see a few competitors change nationalities or try to get dual citizenship so they don't have to deal with as much international competition. That being said, it will depend on whether or not the country they change to will have the same infrastructure and deep pockets Russia has to fund their athletes.

Thoughts?

Alba

Record Breaker

Well if you are talking about pressure I would say Adelina had the pressure of the "whole world except Russia", according to the opinion of many people in this forum and the media, right? That's bigger than South Korea, and I would say that's a much bugger weight.

However, as Sam suggested maybe the reason is because of the world standings an points? I have no idea.
Maybe she just wanted to cash as much as she can while on the crest of her Olympic, as another user pointed out. Who knows?!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oops. I accidentally deleted this trying to edit.
Second verse, same as the first!!

I might be reading the world standings and points wrong but didnt she already get the maximum amount points (1200)for the first column of how pts are awarded in the standings? Don't they only take your best score from Olympics or Worlds and that is the only points you get. What I'm saying is she had nothing to gain in terms of her standing in the rankings due to that column being maxed out at 1200 pts. In that sense letting Anna go actually strengthened the Russians overall going forward and maybe will contribute to future Russian births at Worlds. Maybe all of this hoopla about Sochi this and Sochi that is all for nothing and its all based in this line of thinking. If I'm understanding the world rankings and this is indeed how her and the federation approached it than I'd say they made a very wise decision for all involved. Unless you don't want the Russians to improve. Then I could see some frustration. :slink:

Do I understand the point system right for world rankings and its overall importance? If I'm wrong I'd like to know.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
If Adelina is cashing in now with ice shows and new endorsements, then great for her! I think we can all agree that if she's supporting her family, and if they need the money, then it's certainly a higher priority. I would love to have seen her compete but if that's what's important to her, then I respect her for it.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. When both Adelina and Lipnitskaya said they would give their prize money from the Olympics to help buy their families a house, I thought, "Even if I don't like their style of skating, or the fact that they beat so and so, I can't deny that they love their family, and that, to me earned my respect."

moviechick

On the Ice

Yes, I think we tend to forget that in some other countries, FS isn't just a rich kid's sport.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, totally! Great experience for her.

Except she was robbed of the bronze, IMO. As mentioned, she's the Denis Ten to Kostner's Patrick Chan (2013 Worlds).

That's a matter of opinion. Although Pogo skated technically clean, she also skated with ZERO expression. She beat Kostner 67.19 to 53.81 on TES, but Kostner rightfully beat Pogo 73.78 to 64.05 on PCS, and I think even 64.05 was too high. No way should Pogo get 8.07 for IN when there was no IN.

Pogo did win the FS over Kostner 131.24 to 126.59, but then Kostner did have a 10.98 lead over Pogo in the SP. Remember, Pogo was 6th going into the FS, due again to lack of expression.
So Pogo was NOT robbed.