Steven Spielberg thanks Lipnitskaya for playing girl in red of Schindler's List | Golden Skate

Steven Spielberg thanks Lipnitskaya for playing girl in red of Schindler's List

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Steven Spielberg thanks Lipnitskaya for playing girl in red of Schindler's List

Full article is on the link
http://www.eurosport.ru/figure-skating/world-championships/2013-2014/story_sto4173569.shtml

Letter from the famous American writer and filmmaker , directed personally Olympic champion in figure skating , was praised comparable with gold of the Games in Sochi, said personal trainer Lipnitskaya Etery Tutberidze .

" Julia herself in the hands of this letter has not yet been held . It was late in a person who was supposed to convey. The letter says thanks for the fact that I could carry the image of the girl in the red coat ( from the film ) through speech - quoted Tutberidze RIA "Novosti" . - I think that for us this praise on par with the gold medal of the Games . "

also Julia was offered to star in a role for one of Speilberg's new films said Julia's mother in late February.
I just hope Spielberg includes Gracie Gold too along with Julia :)
if he ever does invite cameos for his new films

* also mentioned Julia thought of quitting had she won gold in individuals because the Olympics cycle was already a huge pressure
but now she plans to continue

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Full article is on the link

also Julia was offered to star in a role for one of Speilberg's new films said Julia's mother in late February.
if he ever does invite cameos for his new films

* also mentioned Julia thought of quitting had she won gold in individuals because the Olympics cycle was already a huge pressure
but now she plans to continue
Lol...I already started a thread on this.

Edit- I guess I just put it in fan fest. :slink:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Good for Julia. Her program in the team and euros was great and now new people know all about SL and maybe even the holocaust

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Good for Julia. Her program in the team and euros was great and now new people know all about SL and maybe even the holocaust

also her coached said Speilberg congratulating Julia was as good as gold in individuals, lol
maybe she will appear in some cameos in films along with Gracie Gold, one can dream :)

usethis2

Medalist
Good for her and it's nice of Spielberg to offer kind words to a skater. I liked Yulia's costume in that program even outside of the background music/story.

Just.. stop.. :rofl:

usethis2

Medalist
And Tarasova has the perfect look to play a femme fatale and a damsel in distress in one flesh.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Before this turns into a bash Sky_fly20 via Gracie thread I want to say that Yulia having the courage to do such a controversial theme was very admirable. So many of my friends who do not watch FS at all come up to me and say"OMG...what do you think about Yulia" and"she really makes me feel the emotion of the little girl in the red coat" or in some cases "I watched SL for the first time because of her". The fact is she brought a character and a tragic event to the forefront of the worlds attention. The Ukranian Jewish Society named a star after her and a Jewish Journal based in LA thanked her and said "may we never forget". Not bad for a 15 yr old.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Exactly. Because that's why Spielberg made SL in the first place. Good for Yulia, indeed! :agree:

And please, no more comments re: blondes/aryan looks, not even as a joke. Too much potential for interpretation/mis-interpretation.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
http://www.jewishjournal.com/martini_judaism/item/schindler_on_ice

They discuss the controversy of using SL in figure skating but ultimately say she is bold and in fact doing it in a repressive state such as Russia is even more bold and worthy of praise!!

http://evreiskiy.kiev.ua/zvezda-the-girl-in-red-coat-zazhglas-na-12819.html

Translation:

15-year-old figure skater Yulia Lipnitskaya won the hearts of audiences around the world. Her performance at the Olympics in Sochi shocked with judges skill, polished performance techniques, soulfulness and sincerity. In the word "artistry" is something artificial and Julia seem natural and peculiar only to teenagers youthful maximalism. It can that can not afford the older and more experienced skaters. Its "gold" in the Sochi Olympics included not only in the history of the sport, it has entered into the hearts of people.

Young skater skating sports fans delivered aesthetic pleasure. But other than that, the performance of Julia Lipnitskaya contributed to preserving the memory of the Holocaust, and much larger than the activities of the efforts of many Jewish and non-Jewish public organizations. Lipnitskaya managed to revive the memory of the Jewish tragedy, even in the hearts of those who was not a direct participant or witness to the tragic events.

Her "girl in red coat" from "Schindler's List" came to life in front of an audience of spectators around the world in penetrating skating on ice. Do you remember the "Schindler's List", he black and white. Often, it looks so carried from one year to the event in memory of the victims of the Holocaust of the Jewish people. When the film appears a little girl in a red coat in Schindler's minds there is a fracture. - Faceless weight being shot in the ghetto Jews converted in the heart of Schindler in the real people who lived, had a family, raising children, dreaming about the future.

At the Olympics only give medals for sporting success. Olympic award for his contribution to the transfer memory of the Holocaust victims, alas, are not provided.

Because Ukrainian public organization "Ukrainian Independent Council of Jewish Women" has decided to name a star «The Girl in red coat» and give it to the Olympic champion Yulia Lipnitskaya.

"Julia Lipnitskaya showed the world today, after more than 70 years after the terrible tragedy of the Jewish people, the girl in the red coat of" Schindler's List. " This girl in the Oscar-winning film by Steven Spielberg turned life Schindler, she melted his heart, she healed him from the terrible disease of mankind - indifference. Oskar Schindler saved from death in the gas chambers of more people than anyone in the history of war. Julia demonstrated to the world not only the highest sportsmanship. For its human feat she can give the title of Righteous Among the Nations. But this title we can not assign. So we decided to name a star «The Girl in red coat» and give it to Julia Lipnitskaya. This bright star Julia and will belong to all people. It will shine every day and remind humanity of the girl in the red coat and the horrors of the Holocaust, which should not be repeated in any form anywhere on the planet, "- said the president of an independent Ukrainian Council of Jewish Women, the chief editor of the media project" Kiev Jewish "Eleanor Groisman.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
That's absolutely terrific !

I have high hopes for the future from this little one, hope she's the next Barishnikov ;)

caelum

On the Ice
Surprise. I man who exploited the victims of genocide for cheap voyeurism and profit (the shower scene from Schindler's List is unforgivable) admires an ice skating routine that trivializes the murder of children.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Good for Julia, I remember my first review of this program at season debut was.. 'Wow i can see this winning the Silver at Olympics if the veterans faltered'. Well the veterans didn't and I think I am half right :p

It is one of the cleverly packaged programs this season, well suited to her age. Was she wildly over marked in Sochi? Yes... sensationalism works whether we like it or not, but it still doesn't change the fact it is a nice little package that hid her flaws, and made her weakness appear as strength. The question is will she able to keep it up next year and in the future. One can only rely on ready builtin sentimentality for so long, I look forward to see her develop her range. She is my still my fav Russian skaters, since her days of Kungfu panda.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Surprise. I man who exploited the victims of genocide for cheap voyeurism and profit (the shower scene from Schindler's List is unforgivable) admires an ice skating routine that trivializes the murder of children.

Well, That's one way to look at it :laugh:

At least cinematically the scene was impressive, But yes, That and the Horseback soviet were a miss
(And admittedly some of Lips's choreography is pretty ludicrous imo, Though She still is becoming very expressive)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

pointyourtoe

On the Ice

Could you elaborate? :)
The movie features his trademark sentimentality, yes, but overall I thought it was still moving and cinematically accomplished
Any movie that tackles this subject is going to be bombarded with criticisms but I don't see how it was disrespectful or particularly exploitative, and Spielberg himself is Jewish so I am willing to believe he had pure intentions.

And the attack on the shower scene is almost cliched yet none of the arguments have any basis imho.

As for Lipnitskaia's performance, the fact that she wore the red coat and decided to portray the little girl struck me as manipulative but in the end it was still a lovely performance. The choreography itself wasn't ridiculous.

Could you elaborate? :)
The movie features his trademark sentimentality, yes, but overall I thought it was still moving and cinematically accomplished
Any movie that tackles this subject is going to be bombarded with criticisms but I don't see how it was disrespectful or particularly exploitative, and Spielberg himself is Jewish so I am willing to believe he had pure intentions.

And the attack on the shower scene is almost cliched yet none of the arguments have any basis imho.

As for Lipnitskaia's performance, the fact that she wore the red coat and decided to portray the little girl struck me as manipulative but in the end it was still a lovely performance. The choreography itself wasn't ridiculous.

I agree. Alas, the one thing I've learned through life is that you can't please everyone. Christopher Hitchens publicly criticized Mother Teresa, whom most people praise as selfless, as a cold authoritarian. On the subject of the Spielberg film, I remember a complaint from a U.S. legislator (can't recall if he was a senator or a congressman) that Spielberg's movie was "immoral" because it showed a nude scene. (That shower scene, in fact.) I think after a quiet talking-to by someone, the representative backpedaled and said that he now understood the context.

Moviemakers make movies; that's how they interpret the world. Spielberg is on record as having made movies since childhood, when he probably used his family's old movie camera and neighborhood kids as his actors. In Schindler's List, he was showing the humiliation of something that really took place, in a bold way that wasn't acceptable in the days when fine movies such as The Diary of Anne Frank or Judgment at Nuremberg were made. Were those movies exploitive, or were they powerful stories that few people could resist trying to film? Closer to our time, did Louis Malle practice cheap voyeurism for profit when he showed a Jewish child passing as a gentile being turned in to authorities by another child in Europa Europa? Malle shot his film on a smaller budget, but he did get paid to make the movie and profited from its release. Doctors and nurses get paid for their work, as do firefighters. It's still work done with integrity. I doubt Spielberg sat there and said, "Gee, I bet I'll bring in a crowd if I show half-starved Jewish guys in the altogether." He'd have had more of an audience by showing hot young guys with oiled muscles, in fact.

Lipnitskaia may have been manipulative in using Schindler's List, but she's also a sentimental teenager, and this subject matter would have been very compelling to her. Maybe as an obscure high school student she'd just have written poetry about the girl, but since she had the opportunity to perform on the world stage, she seized it. And performed very well, might I add. I doubt she was any more manipulative than Paul Wylie, who also used the piece (and who frequently chose emotional or sentimental topics to explore in his programs). And then there's Katarina Witt, who risked a lot of criticism choosing this music because she is a German gentile. I'm sure some people took offense. Some people always will.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Lipnitskaia may have been manipulative in using Schindler's List, but she's also a sentimental teenager, and this subject matter would have been very compelling to her. Maybe as an obscure high school student she'd just have written poetry about the girl, but since she had the opportunity to perform on the world stage, she seized it. And performed very well, might I add. I doubt she was any more manipulative than Paul Wylie, who also used the piece (and who frequently chose emotional or sentimental topics to explore in his programs). And then there's Katarina Witt, who risked a lot of criticism choosing this music because she is a German gentile. I'm sure some people took offense. Some people always will.

Why are we assuming that she made this choice and that it wasn't made for her?