Ice dance rule changes 2014-2015 | Golden Skate

Ice dance rule changes 2014-2015

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ice dance rule changes for 2014-2015

Ice dance rule changes for 2014-2015:
I think other threads have touched on these, but the relevant excerpt from IceNetwork is below.

New rules will change the look of ice dance next season

Gilles Vandenbroeck, technical controller of the ice dance event and member of the ISU dance committee, held a meeting to inform interested coaches, skaters and judges about changes in the ice dance rules for the 2014-15 season. An official ISU communication is forthcoming soon.

The required pattern dance in the senior short dance is the Paso Doble, but only one section of the compulsory must be done. Teams must also execute creative steps to the Paso Doble rhythm that the technical panel will grade according to the same key points used to grade the pattern dance section.

Junior dance teams must include two sections of the Silver Samba pattern dance in their short dances next season. This is proving controversial, as many coaches feel the sections take up too much time and do not leave room for the choreography of the rest of the program.

In both the junior and senior free dance, the number of lifts will be reduced by one in order to leave more time and energy for dancing and choreography. In addition, teams may choose whether to do a choreographed lift, as they did this season, or a "choreographic spin movement," which is new for the 2014-15 season.

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/03/14/69357510/usas-hawayek-baker-cook-up-dance-gold-in-sofia (Mar 14)​

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Reducing the lifts will be a good way to kill off any general interest in the sport. Again, the ISU shows that its collective IQ still has yet to climb out of negative numbers. Honestly, you would think someone is paying them to screw up.

BlackPack

Medalist
Reducing the lifts will be a good way to kill off any general interest in the sport. Again, the ISU shows that its collective IQ still has yet to climb out of negative numbers. Honestly, you would think someone is paying them to screw up.

:laugh:

GF2445

Record Breaker
This compromise is a great idea as it will mean that couples will need to really focus hard on the dancing aspect of ice dance. In recent years it has become increasingly athletic so this is a good step.

elif

Medalist
Lifts are only elements teams are changing every year. Spins, twizzles and steps usually looking same. If they want more dance, they should remove spin not lift. Why take out 6 seconds wow factor but not 15-20 seconds meaningless dance element.:rolleye:

elle_e

On the Ice
Not too important in regards to the rule changes; but does that mean the maximum score for the free dance will drop with the removal of a lift?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Also,they need to let the compulsory portions go. People said that the compulsories were like the musical scales of ice dance. Yes, its important that every musician practices their scales but the general audience doesnot pay to go to a concert and watch a musician play scales!
Yes keep the pattern dances for the novice and lower levels and ice dance couples should continue to use compulsory dances for training purposes (just like how some singles skaters can benefit immensely if they practiced figures to learn how to do all figure skating steps and turns properly) to learn their skating vocubulary but to be asked to integrate a set pattern dance into an original work just doesnt go well with me. This years quickstep pattern in the junior division is a great example of this. The rigid steps of the quickstep pattern didnt go well with the music most of the time.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Not too important in regards to the rule changes; but does that mean the maximum score for the free dance will drop with the removal of a lift?

I hope not. I like how the maximum total score is now around 200 points (200.50 to be exact) for senior ice dance. If they do remove it and dont change the scoring, the maximum toal score will be 195 points.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Twizzle sequences need to go away as a required element. Twizzle turns can already be featured plenty in footwork sequences. Let teams do stand-alone twizzle sequences as an optional element in the FD if they want to.

I completely agree that spins should go away as a required element in dance as well. Why were they ever forced to do this to begin with? Just stupid. Again, let spins be an optional element for teams in the FD.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Twizzle sequences need to go away as a required element. Twizzle turns can already be featured plenty in footwork sequences. Let teams do stand-alone twizzle sequences as an optional element in the FD if they want to.

I completely agree that spins should go away as a required element in dance as well. Why were they ever forced to do this to begin with? Just stupid. Again, let spins be an optional element for teams in the FD.

Maybe they shouldve kept the same number of lifts but instead giving couples the choice of either doing twizzles or the spin.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
less lift ? thats depressing
isn't Ice dance a sport ? athleticism must come first :disapp:

Hawayek / Baker and Hurtado / Diaz must be thrilled

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
This compromise is a great idea as it will mean that couples will need to really focus hard on the dancing aspect of ice dance. In recent years it has become increasingly athletic so this is a good step.

Imagine. A sport becoming increasingly athletic. Oh, the horror! :sarcasm:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Imagine. A sport becoming increasingly athletic. Oh, the horror! :sarcasm:

Ice Dancing after all is more art, lol

I wonder if they did this shift considering D/W and V/M have retired, D/W pushed the envelope in innovative lifts
but since they retired they want now all dancers do have equal chances ? its still not right
even I/K have been pushing difficult lifts, this new rule is a step backwards in ice dancing

KKonas

Medalist

LOL! If twizzles, spins, and lifts are eliminated from ice dance, we are back to simply compulsory dances. Talk about boring. It will kill ice dance for sure.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
LOL! If twizzles, spins, and lifts are eliminated from ice dance, we are back to simply compulsory dances. Talk about boring. It will kill ice dance for sure.

It'll be pre-Torvill and Dean days, and if I remember correctly the general response to Ice Dancing then was, "This is a sport? How?"

Twizzles are another general-audience favorite. They're easy to understand (unlike, say, edge work and key points), they're flashy and fun. Like I said, you have to wonder who is paying the ISU to be this stupid.

elif

Medalist
Davis/White's spin in free dance took 15 second, Virtue/Moir's spin 20 second, Ilinykh/Katsalapov's spin 25 second. Yes remove a 6 second lift so we will see more dancing :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If they were going to get rid of a lift, I would rather that they got rid of the choreographic lift.

What this will probably do is spell the end of the combination lift for most teams. This is too bad IMO.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Probably what the article said:
In both the junior and senior free dance, the number of lifts will be reduced by one in order to leave more time and energy for dancing and choreography. In addition, teams may choose whether to do a choreographed lift, as they did this season, or a "choreographic spin movement," which is new for the 2014-15 season.

Jean Luc Baker is echoing arguments he hears at home, and that are probably common among older dancers, and perhaps the tech committee as well:
Baker -- the son of four-time British ice dance champion Sharon Jones -- is in favor of the new rules.
"I was brought up [with] more vintage-style ice dance, not 'Look at me, how strong I am, I throw my partner around like a doll,'" he said. "That's more pairs. I like to see the dance in ice dance.
"I wish they could incorporate dancing a little more and not so much technique," he continued. "It's so hard with the quickstep this year to really show the style of a quickstep because we have to do so many technical things and we can't really allow the dance to flow as it was created. It's hard to do two things at once."

This change will be hard on Coomes and Buckland, but it might be good for the Shibsibs.

Last edited: