Programs from this quad that will be talked about in 20 years | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Programs from this quad that will be talked about in 20 years

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think D/W's Scheherazade, Jason's Riverdance and Yuzuru's Parisienne Walkways. None of the ladies really did anything standout for me in Sochi. I was certainly unimpressed by both Yulia and Yuna, and while Adelina skated clean, they weren't that sort of trademark program that everyone would remember forever.

I was rather hoping that Joshua's Schindler's List would become such, but unfortunately, he didn't have a good season. And Max's Tron SP will always be remembered by the Tron fandom :p

bramweld

Record Breaker
I/K's Schindler's List (Juniors), Swan Lake (OG 2014) good range. They just need to mature.

jace93

On the Ice
I'd say:
Hanyu PW and romeo and juliet v01
Kim les mis
Asada olympic free skate (Idon't remember the name of the music)
Kostner Bolero
Chan Short (again I don't remember the name of the music)...
V/M Carmen
D/W Giselle
Brown river dance

Matilda

Medalist
D&W: NDP and Scheherezade
V/T: Masquerade Waltz
Yuzu: PW
Dai: Blues for Klook
Akiko: O (NHK 2012)
Mao: Rachmaninov 2 at the Olympics
Kostner: Ave Maria at the Olympics.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I think Julia's SL and Caro's Bolero (although it was not my favorite i'm sorry to admit). I think memorable programs are usually caused by having iconic music and skating lights out to it. It's hard for me to think of any program being unforgettable if the music was has been over used or if the music is something I've never heard (with the exception of Michelle Kwan's East of Eden which i had never heard but instantly loved, but I digress since that was not from this quadrent...)

smileyhi

Match Penalty
Yuna's Les Miserables, Homage to Korea, and Adios Nonino

Mao's Rachmaninoff

Carolina's Bolero

jcsamex

Rinkside
Mao's, Yuna's, Adelina's (yes, as I think no Yunafan will ever get over it for all the good or wrong reasons), Carolina's and both disastrous Chan's and Hanyu's long programmes at the Olympics as well as Lipnistkaia's lp at Europeans which was absolutely Magical in spite of that minor wobble on her first double axel.

As perfect as they were, I don't care for any of D/W performances... Maybe too perfect, lol.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Carolina Kostner's Ave Maria and Bolero (nobody will understand how she only won bronze)
Dai's 2012 programs, the best 1-2 punch by any man in recent memory
S/S's Pina
Possibly V/M's Carmen, Lipnitskaya's Schindler's List and Jason Brown's Riverdance

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Yu na Kim's heartbreaking Olympic performance. Yu na Kim's triumphant world champion 2013.
Hanyu's incredible short program at the Olympics
Moa's emotional free skate in Sochi
Kostners spiritual short program and clean long program
The incredible Masquerade waltz by T and V in Sochi
Scherezade by D/W will be remembered as a symbol of their precision and powerfulness

aschiutza

On the Ice
I will remember:

- Plushenko's farewell skates in team competition. He went away like a king in an epic medieval story.
- Hanyu's short program , a new era begins
- Mao's FS , a fight when was nothing more to win
- T/V SP , true beauty

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Even though he wasn't a top-level skater, I'm hoping some will still remember Shawn Sawyer's Mad Hatter routine. If you can't tell from my display pic, I'm a uber.

I agree about most of the ones already mentioned, but I'd like to add..
Kavaguti/Smirnov - Claire de Lune
Takahashi's 2011 Mambo SP
Weaver/Poje - Je Suis Malade
Jeremy Abbott - Exogenesis
Virtue/Moir - Mujer Latina (mostly because they used it for a FD and an SD)

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
Carolina Kostner's "L'après midi d'un faune", "Galicia Flamenca", "'Shostakovich'", "'Mozart'", "Young Frankenstein / The Devil's Trill", "Bolero" and "Ave Maria". In my humble opinion, music/choreography/skating (when at their best) wise, all those are figure skating masterpiece programs that will succeed the test of time. Kostner's skating qualities and taste are a delicious rarity in the sport.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Adios Nonino definitely. I think a lot of us have found that we only appreciated it after multiple viewings and this will likely hold true in the future as well.

I think V/T masquerade waltz as well. Trankov and his costume just really bring an air to the program that almost transports you to some past time.

As for Adelina's FS, I'm not sure it'll be watched for relishing as much as it'll be watched because she's the Olympic Champion. In the future though I do think she will get more credit for her great jumps (the stumble aside) and the footwork sequence because people won't be quite as bilious (who am I kidding) but there will at least be some more rationality.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I've not been a fan of figure skating for a long time so I can't really say anything about the generations before Yuna and Mao. Also, I only know about the ladies.
But here are the programs I will remember for years to come:

- Yuna's Les Mis, Danse Macabre, SITC and Adios Nonino
- Mao's highly emotional LP in Sochi (I actually teared up too T^T. You go, Mao! Four for you, Mao!)
- Adelina's LP [because of the controversy and the fact that she was overscored in every way in Sochi. I'm gonna tell you it really angered me that she beat Yuna, Mao and Caro in the quality basket (GOE and PCS)]
- And I honestly forgot about the details of Caro's Oly programs but I will never forget that her dreams came true in the Olympics (tho I feel that she was deservedly the Silver medalist)

Also, I don't hate Adelina. I admire that she proved she was not the 'other girl' and her skates, tho not as much quality as the others, were truly great and triumphant considering she's not very successful in delivering clean programs this season (esp. LP) prior to the Olympics. Though why they had to ruin her moment of shining because of her ability, I will never understand.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't understand why anyone would remember Adios Nonino. Bland, emotionless, going-through-the-motions. I didn't even know it was supposed to be a tango!

brownian

Match Penalty
Adios Nonino definitely. I think a lot of us have found that we only appreciated it after multiple viewings and this will likely hold true in the future as well.

I think V/T masquerade waltz as well. Trankov and his costume just really bring an air to the program that almost transports you to some past time.

As for Adelina's FS, I'm not sure it'll be watched for relishing as much as it'll be watched because she's the Olympic Champion. In the future though I do think she will get more credit for her great jumps (the stumble aside) and the footwork sequence because people won't be quite as bilious (who am I kidding) but there will at least be some more rationality.

I agree that Yuna's Adios Nonino program was one that could be appreciated more and more with repeated viewings. It wasn't a blatantly rousing program, but it was nuanced, sensual and cohesive. After seeing it about 4 times, I realized only a supremely talented skater could actually make that program work.

As for Adelina's LP, I do believe it will fade from memory in almost every way except for the fact that it was over-scored and marked another moment in figure skating history in which the judges got it wrong (probably a result of corruption). I've seen that LP probably 8 times and it seems pretty obvious to me that it was unrefined and mostly pointless. A few of the jumps were impressive, but the rest of it was utterly forgettable.

V/T's short program was good (primarily because of the costuming)...not sure if we'll remember it 20 years from now...but perhaps. Their Olympic LP...eh, not so much.