Nam Nguyen - the future of Canadian figure skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Nam Nguyen - the future of Canadian figure skating

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Do you have a crystal ball? Nam looks like he enjoys being in the spotlight already...half the battle. Who knows what is in his future? Anyway, it is exciting to see another new skater developing under the coaching skills of Brian Orser.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Lol, I enjoy both Patrick and Nam. I like Nam because he is a promising talent, but he is still young so I don't think putting too much pressure on him is a good point. Patrick lost the gold in Sochi, but he still belong to the top of the top. He is an excellent skaters and he is at his peak, I don't think he should give up at this moment. Anyways, the men field would be quite boring without a big fish like him. He is like a pressure factor for younger skaters.

Franklin99

Medalist
Patrick is still young, he is just 23, he could improve more. It is not too late for him. PChan is still the king of Canadian skaters at the moment. Nam is still young and unpolished. You can't say farewell to the reigning king at the moment. He will come back.

I agree, and to blow Chan off for a junior skater after he (Chan) gave so much to Canada and mens skating as a whole is quite disheartening. And how is winning an OSM and three Worlds gold medal makes his Canadian reigning FS king a questionable thing? Why don't we just wait and see how Nam is able to succeed against the top dogs of the senior men's FS group before we blow Patty off for fresh meat.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
It's soon to say goodbye to Patrick, Nam still has a loooong way to be at the top, he sure is talented though

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I would be very sorry to see Patrick go. The contrast and rivalry between him and Yuzuru has made this year quite fun.

littlexflower

Rinkside
Can't stand Pchiddy's douchey (public) personality but I enjoy his skates and they give me a totally different, fresh feeling after I have replayed like a billion times Yuzu's performances.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Well, welcome, Nam! It's a great chance for him to take part in the senior world competition, hopefully he'll do his best. But the fact that Canada has a good new skater isn't necessary a goodbye for Patrick. He's still young and he's the only one who can beat Yuzuru. It's normal that he needs a break after Sochi, but he'll probably come back and we're going to have a great rivalry between him and Hanyu.:)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow - everyone is so ready to bury Patrick!

I wouldn't say that. Chan's continuation is a question mark, so people are looking for the next great thing. As mentioned, Chan is only 23, so he could continue if he wanted to, but it might be very difficult getting that motivation.

He could easily medal at every GP event, and likely the GPF for some time... it's whether he wants to wait 4 years for another shot at Olympic gold that's the million-dollar question.

In the meantime, it's lovely to see a talent in Nam. :)

Wow - everyone is so ready to bury Patrick!

That struck me, too. The man was supposed to be the greatest thing on skates since Jackson Haines. He has legions of devoted fans, deservedly so, and he has gold and silver medals galore. Suddenly he's passe because he got a silver instead of the gold in Sochi? (Granted, it was an awful long program, but Hanyu's wasn't all that sparkling either.) How could not just his career but his importance have just evaporated like that? Can one of his more ardent fans please comment on this thread so we can get a better picture of what's going on?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Nam Nguyen is a promising skater, for sure.

But he's got a LONG way to go before he can step out of Chan's shadow, so it's a bit premature to say goodbye to Chan (assuming Chan isn't thinking of retiring).

I'd say he's also got a long way to go before he can step out of Kevin Reynold's shadow (assuming Reynolds can get a steady supply of skates that fit him properly! o_O)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That struck me, too. The man was supposed to be the greatest thing on skates since Jackson Haines. He has legions of devoted fans, deservedly so, and he has gold and silver medals galore. Suddenly he's passe because he got a silver instead of the gold in Sochi? (Granted, it was an awful long program, but Hanyu's wasn't all that sparkling either.) How could not just his career but his importance have just evaporated like that? Can one of his more ardent fans please comment on this thread so we can get a better picture of what's going on?

I don't think he's passé, per say... I mean, Asada missed gold twice (same with Ito/Kwan/etc.) and she's still legendary for her elevating the sport.

He's still the most consistent skater of the last quadrennial and currently one of the top skaters in the world. Hanyu's on the very top at this point, but if Chan showed up at Worlds, I don't think people would count him out of winning (they've split wins this season, even though Hanyu's were obviously much more significant).

The men's competition in Sochi was a mess (and the overall Olympic figure skating competition was weird overall), but people have moved on from that.

I agree that Reynolds should hopefully give Nam a run for his money. Reynolds still has yet to win Nationals and will be the heavy favourite if Chan doesn't show up, so that's good motivation for him. Nam's got some high hopes in his corner, but at this point, let's enjoy the fact that he's so unbelievably young and has tons of potential.

Until Nam won Junior Worlds, there were lots of questions about who would follow up after Chan, and I don't think the support of Nam is casting Chan aside so much as a sense of relief that there is some upcoming potential.

Coriana

On the Ice
The Varsity, the magazine of the University of Toronto, has just reported that Patrick will begin studies in September. Patrick is quoted as not ruling out a return to competitive skating at some point in the future.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If Takahashi and Chan changed bodies, that mean's Chan's body would be moving with much more artistry and Takahashi's body would be moving with much less artistry.

Chan trying to interpret Blues for Klook would be hilarious.

I suppose we should also be amused by Takahashi trying to do 2 successful quads in one program. :sarcasm: