Worlds articles, tweets, etc: | Golden Skate

Worlds articles, tweets, etc:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wasn't sure where to put this...

I found this tweet soft of interesting. Granted I'd like to see an article for context:

Nick McCarvel
‏@NickMcCarvel
In #Worlds2014 interviews: Max Aaron aiming to get 3 spots back for US men, Jeremy Abbott says it's not his focus there #figureskating
11:41 AM - 20 Mar 2014

Also Ice Network has a nice Q&A with Pechalat/Bourzat regarding competing at Worlds:
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/03/19/69628222/not-finis-yet-p233chalat-bourzat-head-for-worlds

Icenetwork: At the beginning and throughout the season, you stated clearly that you would not go to Saitama and would end your career right away after Sochi. What made you and Fabian change your minds?
Péchalat: That's right. We changed our mind because Igor told us that we were ready to go and that it would be a nice way for us to end our career with an additional world medal. (Péchalat and Bourzat won the bronze medal at the world championships in Nice in 2012.) The fact that these Championships are held in Japan has motivated us tremendously. We have always felt warmly supported by the Japanese audience. We have been many times to Japan to skate shows. We felt that skating in Saitama would be a great way for us to thank our Japanese skating fans and wish them goodbye -- at least on competitive ice.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I may have blown a fuse when I saw that Tweet. So Abbott is going and a skater who will actually try and fight is going to be left at home. Gosh, this sounds familiar. Where did I hear this before already this season? Oh yeah, THE OLYMPICS.

Poor Jason.

centerpt1

On the Ice
1. Abbott is not in Jason's place, Aaron is.
2. Abbott tries....and perhaps over-tries. Abbott's issue is not lack of try. Or fight.
3. If both men skate to the best of their ability, they may get 3 slots. Doubtful, but possible. (no matter who is sent)
4. Jason really should have been assigned to Worlds. Not sure why he wasn't. If he had won Nationals, he would be going to Worlds.
5 The time at home will allow Jason to work on his quad, perfect his 3A, and get a start on next year's programs. SOI will take up some precious time. This extra training could make all the difference for next year.
6. Not sure why Jason fans love to attack Abbott. Abbott is on his way out, and a non factor.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I found this tweet soft of interesting. Granted I'd like to see an article for context:

Nick McCarvel
‏@NickMcCarvel
In #Worlds2014 interviews: Max Aaron aiming to get 3 spots back for US men, Jeremy Abbott says it's not his focus there #figureskating
11:41 AM - 20 Mar 2014 ...

Thx for starting the thread, Mrs. P.

Agree that the tweet begs for an article to give us context for Abbott's comment, which I hope does not reflect self-absorption. (Although I wonder where McCarvel would post such an article at this point -- NBCOlympics.com no longer makes sense as an outlet for his reporting??)

And/or if Abbott is available to all media on a pre-Worlds conference call, I trust that someone will follow up with him regarding this comment. Nancy Armour raised an eyebrow in response to McCarvel's tweet.

Surely Abbott will fight for the podium. Why else would he bother to stick around for Worlds?

Anyway, Max's team mentality is admirable :yay:, but not surprising. The importance of the third spot for the team and for himself always will be clear to him, esp. after his near miss for Sochi. And he has enjoyed being a good team player, literally and figuratively (no pun intended), going back to his hockey days.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... 4. Jason really should have been assigned to Worlds. Not sure why he wasn't. If he had won Nationals, he would be going to Worlds. ...

Love Jason, but obviously he did not win Nationals.

And the U.S. selection criteria for Worlds differ from those for the Olympics. For Worlds, the events considered (in order of decreasing importance) are:
- 2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships
- 2013 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
- 2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championships
- 2013 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
- 2013 ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships
- 2013 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final​
(Although the Olympic criteria included 2013 GP events and 2013 Nats as well, the Worlds criteria do not. Thus Max's results at 2013 Worlds and Four Continents would have carried greater weight in the selection of the team for Worlds as compared to the Olympics, I would think.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
1. Abbott is not in Jason's place, Aaron is.
2. Abbott tries....and perhaps over-tries. Abbott's issue is not lack of try. Or fight.
3. If both men skate to the best of their ability, they may get 3 slots. Doubtful, but possible. (no matter who is sent)
4. Jason really should have been assigned to Worlds. Not sure why he wasn't. If he had won Nationals, he would be going to Worlds.
5 The time at home will allow Jason to work on his quad, perfect his 3A, and get a start on next year's programs. SOI will take up some precious time. This extra training could make all the difference for next year.
6. Not sure why Jason fans love to attack Abbott. Abbott is on his way out, and a non factor.

Ahem, a few fans who happen to be fans of Jason Brown attacking Abbott =/= Jason fans attacking Abbott. Nuance is appreciated.

TMC

Record Breaker

I don't want to attack Abbott. But it is precisely because he's on his way out that he shouldn't be saying stuff like this, like he doesn't care about others in the team. It just sounds bad. Whether he actually thinks that way or not (wise to wait for the full interview) it'd serve him better to keep it to himself.

centerpt1

On the Ice
His focus should be on skating his best. So should Aaron. If they both skate their absolute best, the 3rd slot will be taken care of. (like in 2010 when Abbott was 5th and Rippon was 6th)

Not sure why this is un team like.

Abbott has never, ever been good at PR speak. Remember Kung Fu? That's one of the reasons I like him. But he has always supported the team.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Lynn Rutherford tweeted comments from media calls of several Canadian skaters

Kevin Reynolds:
Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford Mar 19
On media call Canada's Kevin Reynolds said while he still boot problems, he is training better than he was before his nationals or Olympics.

Kevin Reynolds call, cont.: "I'm getting through daily grind, doing run-thrus." He plans to stick with 2 quads in his SP & 2 or 3 in his FS.

Final Kevin Reynolds note: He is looking forward to season's end, so he can work w/custom boot manufacturers to construct well-fitting gear.

Kaetlyn Osmond:
Interesting media call with Kaetlyn Osmond @kaetlyn_23 who is determined to have the top 8 finish at worlds, that eluded her in Sochi.

.@kaetlyn_23 Osmond told media she plans 3F/3T, 3LZ in her SP, no changes to FS: "I just have to let it happen the way it does in practice"

Weaver/Poje:

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford Mar 17
On media call 2day @WeaverPoje say they r targeting TES of SD for improvement at worlds. Weaver: "We left a good 5 pts on table" in Sochi.

.@WeaverPoje comment on post-VirtueMoir, DavisWhite worlds "It's going to be a free-for-all. . . We're ready to stake our claim for Canada."

Duhamel/Radford:
On media call today Meagan Duhamel @mhjd_85, Eric Radford @Rad85E sound motivated & ready to make run for podium at worlds.

Duhamel, Radford cont.: Have moved 3S/2T to 1st half of FS, added 2T to make it 3S/2T/2T: "The whole program breathes easier" Duhamel said.

Duhamel, Radford cont.: About free skate, Duhamel said, "If we nail it the way we do in practice, we're confident we will be on podium."

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
...I found this tweet soft of interesting. Granted I'd like to see an article for context:

Nick McCarvel
‏@NickMcCarvel
11:41 AM - 20 Mar 2014

The following Twitter conversation -- including a comment from Abbott's own mother -- ensued:

@Novebarne
@NickMcCarvel Focus should be on skating their best. Then the 3 spots will be taken care of. Why do you hate Abbott?
3:44 PM - 20 Mar 2014
https://twitter.com/Novebarne/status/446779236552957952

‏@NickMcCarvel
@Novebarne There's no hate; I'm reporting what they said. Max said it's a focus, Jeremy said it wasn't.
4:45 PM - 20 Mar 2014
https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/446794596970799104

Allison Scott [Jeremy's mother]
‏@PCFclub
@NickMcCarvel @Novebarne I agree with both of you. Nick is reporting not bashing. If they both skate their best the spots return to 3.
4:48 PM - 20 Mar 2014 from Colorado Springs, CO
https://twitter.com/PCFclub/status/446795449635057664

ETA, not directly part of the same conversation, but I wonder whether it is the reason for the following comment:
Alexa Paige Scimeca⭐
‏@lexxapaige
Do people know that it is okay to be truthful in interviews? 😑
5:18 PM - 20 Mar 2014 from Colorado Springs, CO
https://twitter.com/lexxapaige/status/446802882650599424

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Allison Scott [Jeremy's mother]
‏@PCFclub
@NickMcCarvel @Novebarne I agree with both of you. Nick is reporting not bashing. If they both skate their best the spots return to 3.
4:48 PM - 20 Mar 2014 from Colorado Springs, CO
https://twitter.com/PCFclub/status/446795449635057664
[/INDENT]

I'm glad Jeremy's mom defended Nick McCarvel. Nick, IMO, has done a decent job despite being new to the sport (his background is covering tennis).

As I said, I wish there was a full article or something so we can get the context of this quote.

Last edited:

tripletwizzle

Rinkside
The US fed should have waited until after they saw if Jeremy would do decently at Olys to announce the Worlds team, imho. Clearly his tendency to fail to deliver in major international competition is not going away and at this point in his career I wouldn't expect anything different at Worlds. As far as Jason/Max goes: I viewed sending Jason to Olys & Max to Worlds as the fed's way of telling Max that they're not giving up on him.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The US fed should have waited until after they saw if Jeremy would do decently at Olys to announce the Worlds team, imho. Clearly his tendency to fail to deliver in major international competition is not going away and at this point in his career I wouldn't expect anything different at Worlds. As far as Jason/Max goes: I viewed sending Jason to Olys & Max to Worlds as the fed's way of telling Max that they're not giving up on him.

Most unfortunately, the USFSA are required to send the National Champion to Worlds. I have long thought this a stupid rule.

I viewed the selections of Jason/Max the same way you did.

TMC

Record Breaker
His focus should be on skating his best. So should Aaron. If they both skate their absolute best, the 3rd slot will be taken care of. (like in 2010 when Abbott was 5th and Rippon was 6th)

Not sure why this is un team like.

Abbott has never, ever been good at PR speak. Remember Kung Fu? That's one of the reasons I like him. But he has always supported the team.

I agree with you unreservedly re where the focus should be. If both Max and Jeremy had said that their focus is on doing their best then there would be nothing to discuss on Twitter or here. I'm sure Jeremy can be and really is both focused on his own performance and on doing what's best for his team. It's just that these comments can be interpreted in two or more ways, which is unfortunate (especially after the comments after the Sochi team event) because the knee-jerk reaction that most people will have is "he doesn't care about anyone other than himself". I don't know him personally but I want to believe the best of everybody until proven otherwise. So it makes me sad to think that a really good, decent, moral person may be misunderstood because of one or two misspoken comments.

amc987

On the Ice

I think Jeremy acquitted himself well in Sochi apart from his team SP. In the men's competition, he had a terrible fall on his quad attempt, but he landed everything else and received reasonable levels on his elements. His LP, while sans quad, was clean for the first time in years in international competition. I thought he was a bit underscored in PCS. Honestly, Sochi was a big step forward considering Jeremy's competitive record.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They need to finish no worse than sixth and seventh. I suppose anything is possible although not very likely.

Max finished seventh at last year's Worlds in a field much stronger than this.

The issue of course, is not Max.

centerpt1

On the Ice
The only chance they have is for Max to skate all his content squeeky clean, and for Jeremy to leave the quad out of his short and skate a clean short. Max had a good first Worlds last year, and Jeremy had his international best LP score at Sochi (even with watered down content due to injury).

It's a long shot...I don't expect 3 slots, but you never know.

If Jeremy leaves the quad in his short, though...no chance at 3 slots.