Worlds articles, tweets, etc: | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Worlds articles, tweets, etc:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Abbott does not come across any better in the full thing.

He especially looks stupid when he says "it's nobody's focus" but Max says it absolutely is.

In my opinion it's not really possible to "focus on a third spot" while you don't know where the other skater will place. You can focus on doing your best or set a goal and focus on that. Then hope that the other skater is good enough for the combined placements to be 13 or less. Which I'm sure both Max and Jeremy wish.

Yeah. And he was the top-placing American at Worlds in 2010 and 2012.

To be fair to Jeremy he has the best placement of US men since Lysachek-time. 5th in 2010, where he and Adam(6th) kept the three spots. It was Dornbush, Miner and Bradley who lost a spot in 2011. In 2012 Jeremy(8th) and Adam(13th) didn't manage to win it back. Neither did Max(7th) and Ross(14th) in 2013.

OK, I understand the frustration with Jeremy, but not why some posters are so angry with him. It's like he is working as a scapegoat for US men's failures this last quad.

desertskates

Medalist
Everyone is different. Some skaters have a set schedule for the Grand Prix events/ final that they like to stick to. I think I remember reading in an interview that Ashley does this. I'm sure jet lag won't be an issue in her performances.

Very true. I notice even amongst family and friends, everyone does jetlag differently, or not at all. Athletes at this level certainly can predict the response of their bodies.

amc987

On the Ice
In my opinion it's not really possible to "focus on a third spot" while you don't know where the other skater will place. You can focus on doing your best or set a goal and focus on that. Then hope that the other skater is good enough for the combined placements to be 13 or less. Which I'm sure both Max and Jeremy wish.

To be fair to Jeremy he has the best placement of US men since Lysachek-time. 5th in 2010, where he and Adam(6th) kept the three spots. It was Dornbush, Miner and Bradley who lost a spot in 2011. In 2012 Jeremy(8th) and Adam(13th) didn't manage to win it back. Neither did Max(7th) and Ross(14th) in 2013.

OK, I understand the frustration with Jeremy, but not why some posters are so angry with him. It's like he is working as a scapegoat for US men's failures this last quad.

I don't get the vitriol either. The frustrating and hand-wringing from his fans is understandable. He probably has the most talent of all the men apart from Chan and Hanyu. Yet he has, relatively, so little to show for it. I think it's a potential maximization thing. Everyone knows how great he could have been.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

OK, I understand the frustration with Jeremy, but not why some posters are so angry with him. It's like he is working as a scapegoat for US men's failure this last quad.

I'm not angry with Jeremy and I hope he does well this week and proves us all wrong, but I think part of the frustration is the fact that Jeremy SHOULD be a world medalist based on his championship performances at Nationals. And Phil Hersh is right that he has underperformed relative to other past U.S. Champions.

Max Aaron finished 7th despite having no major international experience last year and competing against a much tougher field. Jeremy's 5th place in 2010 came with a much weaker field. His main competition back in 2010 was Daisuke Takahashi and Patrick Chan. He could have beat Brian Joubert (3rd) and Michel Brezina (4th); even Adam Rippon (6th) beat Jeremy in the FS.

I did a quick rundown of U.S. Champions the last 20 years and Jeremy's worst finishes are only better than one skater, Ryan Bradley, who finished in 13th in 2011. Even if you account for the fact that some of the U.S. men in the late 1990s and early 2000s had less tougher fields, Jeremy still underperformed.

I don't think it's an attack on Jeremy to point out the facts.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I'm not angry with Jeremy and I hope he does well this week and proves us all wrong, but I think part of the frustration is the fact that Jeremy SHOULD be a world medalist based on his championship performances at Nationals. And Phil Hersh is right that he has underperformed relative to other past U.S. Champions.

Max Aaron finished 7th despite having no major international experience last year and competing against a much tougher field. Jeremy's 5th place in 2010 came with a much weaker field. His main competition back in 2010 was Daisuke Takahashi and Patrick Chan. He could have beat Brian Joubert (3rd) and Michel Brezina (4th); even Adam Rippon (6th) beat Jeremy in the FS.

I did a quick rundown of U.S. Champions the last 20 years and Jeremy's worst finishes are only better than one skater, Ryan Bradley, who finished in 13th in 2011. Even if you account for the fact that some of the U.S. men in the late 1990s and early 2000s had less tougher fields, Jeremy still underperformed.

I don't think it's an attack on Jeremy to point out the facts.

I was just referring to the last quad, where I saw many underwhelming US men with potentials, being US champions or not. I don't think there is a SHOULD be.

I can't compete with you on statistics :laugh: so all right Jeremy is the worst for being a US champion. Nerves then, but what I got, US nationals is supposed to be the most nerve wrecking competition for American athletes.

I like many US men for different reasons and really hope Max and Jeremy win the precious three slots. It's just hard to see a US man medaling this or next worlds. If one Farris would be my guess.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was just referring to the last quad, where I saw many underwhelming US men with potentials, being US champions or not. I don't think there is a SHOULD be.

I can't compete with you on statistics :laugh: so all right Jeremy is the worst for being a US champion. Nerves then, but what I got, US nationals is supposed to be the most nerve wrecking competition for American athletes.

I like many US men for different reasons and really hope Max and Jeremy win the precious three slots. It's just hard to see a US man medaling this or next worlds. If one Farris would be my guess.

Honestly, I think Jeremy could have dominated the last quad at least nationally based on his talent and artistry. Yes, the others had potential, but not at the same level as Jeremy, IMO. This is someone who beat Evan Lyscaek and Johnny Weir, two past U.S. Champions in his career. And won GPF against Patrick Chan and Takahiko Kozuka, two skaters who would win World medals.

For him to lose to the likes of Max Aaron, Ryan Bradley, Ross Miner and Richard Dornbush seems odd to me. Or to lose internationally to Takahiko Mura (at Trophee Eric Bompard) and Taksuki Machida (Skate America 2012).

I get why people are still fans of his despite all this, but it's hard to deny the record.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I'll break it down as simply as I can:

"It's a positive step. It's just a warmup." - Abbott after not even trying to fight for his SP in the team event.

While sitting at home were skaters who most certainly could have done better, but at the very least, would have FOUGHT for their program.

jaylee

Medalist
While sitting at home were skaters who most certainly could have done better, but at the very least, would have FOUGHT for their program.

Those skaters sitting at home didn't earn the right to go, and they couldn't have changed the outcome. Jeremy botched his SP in the team event and his comments didn't help, but the amount of hate he's gotten is disproportionate to his "crime."

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Those skaters sitting at home didn't earn the right to go, and they couldn't have changed the outcome. Jeremy botched his SP in the team event and his comments didn't help, but the amount of hate he's gotten is disproportionate to his "crime."

If you want to get technical...there is no rule stating the National Champion MUST be picked for the Olympics. Jeremy's GP season was not any better than Max's - a bronze and a seventh each.

When it gets frustrating is that every single darn time Abbott has a great Nationals, he then blows whatever comes next. Repeatedly. In a pattern that can't be denied.

No football player would be chosen for a team in that situation.

(And sorry, I know what you'll say about this remark, but two years in a row his Nationals SP has been ridiculously overscored.)

jaylee

Medalist
If you want to get technical...there is no rule stating the National Champion MUST be picked for the Olympics. Jeremy's GP season was not any better than Max's - a bronze and a seventh each.

When it gets frustrating is that every single darn time Abbott has a great Nationals, he then blows whatever comes next. Repeatedly. In a pattern that can't be denied.

No football player would be chosen for a team in that situation.

(And sorry, I know what you'll say about this remark, but two years in a row his Nationals SP has been ridiculously overscored.)

So their GP results were the same, and Jeremy's Nationals results were better. Therefore he got to go to the Olympics. Deservedly. And even if his Nationals SP was overscored, at this year's nationals, he still beat Max Aaron in the FS, deservedly so.

I don't know why you're bringing in football, but sure, let's play. How many times did Peyton Manning have an awesome regular season and then go on to blow it in the playoffs? How many times did he lose to the Patriots in the playoffs with the Colts? I lost track. How awful was his most recent Superbowl appearance? Very awful. How many Superbowl wins does he have? Just one. With his record of blowing it in big games that really matter, it's a wonder that any team keeps him as its quarterback. :sarcasm:

Jeremy bombed the team event, but I thought his comeback in the individual SP was inspiring and his FS was terrific. I hope he finishes his career off well here, for his sake, but not to shut up all the haters. The haters will never stop hating. It's sad.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How many times did Peyton Manning have an awesome regular season and then go on to blow it in the playoffs?

<snip>

Jeremy bombed the team event, but I thought his comeback in the individual SP was inspiring and his FS was terrific. I hope he finishes his career off well here, for his sake, but not to shut up all the haters. The haters will never stop hating. It's sad.

What's a Peyton Manning?

There's a difference between a "hater" and someone who's had it up to the back teeth with Abbott constantly wasting spots.