South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 47 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

anyanka

Record Breaker
I agree with you. At first, I couldn't understand the program and was baffled at her cold looking performance. She could have chosen more enthusiastic music, but I think she chose this music because she didn't expect to get a gold medal in Sochi. And she said, she always wanted to perform this music after crying on Jeff's adios nonino that David Wilson showed her(she said it was the first time that she cried watching figure skating performance).

As someone said earlier, The music is about elegy to late father. Therefore, Yuna's performance is different from ordinary sassy Tango. It's about a memory of past, most of the performance is subdued, emotions are burning inside, occasionally a flash of lightness and smile, even a little flirtatious, and reflecting the memory of good times. in the end, reminisce of everything: good, bad, ugly.

After watching it many times, I dare say that this program is a masterpiece. Never gets boring even after watching many times.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful analysis and appreciation of the performance. It does get better the more I watch it. It didn't quite have that same "pow!" effect in Sochi, which may be part of the reason why the judges didn't go for it presentation wise? It wasn't immediate, and reading the synopsis of the piece it was indeed composed by Piazzolla as an elegy. But like a fine wine, it ages well, and gets better the more you look back at the memory of it.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When everyone thought Yulia was going to be the one to give Yuna a run for her money I posted several times that I was afraid Yulia would steal everyone's heart and win on emotion and Yuna would perform a masterpiece that would only be recognized by some and likely not until afterword would it be seen as a much better program. By that I mean the judges wouldn't see it either. I really feared for this and was afraid of Yulia receiving backlash. Now I'm just glad she fell. Is that weird?

I too appreciate your analysis on Yuna's performance. It's straight from the heart and I get it.

anyanka

Record Breaker
When everyone thought Yulia was going to be the one to give Yuna a run for her money I posted several times that I was afraid Yulia would steal everyone's heart and win on emotion and Yuna would perform a masterpiece that would only be recognized by some and likely not until afterword would it be seen as a much better program. By that I mean the judges wouldn't see it either. I really feared for this and was afraid of Yulia receiving backlash. Now I'm just glad she fell. Is that weird?

In a way the disappointing 5th was good for Yulia. She had that fight back at worlds, and I think her single focus immediately after she finished in Sochi is 2018 OGM. If nothing else, while I wouldn't say it was a wonderful thing she fell, but she will benefit psychologically and will become more of a force to reckon with for years to come.

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
For those who're still in doubt I'll post the exact words
(일부 선수들로부터 기선제압이 있었다)지난 4대륙 선수권 때 조금 심했다는 느낌이 들었다. 그렇게까지 해야할까라는 생각이 많이 들고 말려들지 않고 싶다. 대처 방법을 찾고 있다.
(There was a 'pressure' from 'few' skaters)I thought it was a bit too much in 4cc. I don't know why they did it and I don't want to be included. I'm looking for a way to get over it.
Also the 'Korean Federation' confirmed that she never mentioned a particular country or skater and that they are gonna talk with the Japanese officials. http://www.cyworld.com/yogi824_part2/2857180 (It's a blog that copied the article from Chosun Ilbo, with the name of the journalist who wrote it.)
You bring Korean blog as evidence? :laugh: Good grief. I'd rather trust Japanese Skating Federation in this case, they are officials afterall, unlike blogger. If Kim were not referring directly or not even implying that it was Japanese skaters who disdurbed her practice, why JSF would need to come with the statement in the first place? Any answer?

Okay, we should begin here- why needed to say in the interview that "few skaters" in the group of Kim+Asada+Suguri+Rochette+Zhang were blocking Kim's in practice? Who did? Rochette? Zhang? :laugh:

Okay, we should begin here- why needed to say in the interview that "few skaters" in the group of Kim+Asada+Suguri+Rochette+Zhang were blocking Kim's in practice? Who did? Rochette? Zhang? :laugh:

In actual fact it was Rochette. The video that got the most play on You Tube showed a skater whizzing by with comments about, look how close she is to Kim. Turned out to be Joannie.

Sasha Cohen was a skater who for some reason always went around the wrong way in warm-ups and got in everyone's way. She got called on it a couple of times -- once by Michelle -- but I don't think she cared.

Anyway, this old stuff has nothing to do with the petition that is the topic of this thread.

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
And it deserved -1.4 across the board. :)
:confused: Where is my reply? Again my tablet's battery failed me? :laugh: Nothing wrong with saying:

Why do you keep doing that? In SLC the second OGM was given after they removed French's judge score and ended up with 4:4. Now with anonymity no one can know what judge gave what score. Maybe Ukranian or Estonia's Kulik gave in Yuna's favor. Maybe not. What Yuna fans keep doing from Day 1 is spreading racist implications based on Kulik's, Baranova's ethnics. If they were "true" Finn and Estonian, they wouldn't be on Yuna fans black lists. :laugh:

Yes, I find this approach racist and tell Yuna fans to take it somewhere else since some of us are more civilized than reading this nonsense. I see some bias in it- to delete the posts that expose racism but to leave the racist posts untouched. How many pages did they write attacking Kulik's and Baranova's ethnics? It's not right.

cooper

Medalist
In actual fact it was Rochette. The video that got the most play on You Tube showed a skater whizzing by with comments about, look how close she is to Kim. Turned out to be Joannie.

Sasha Cohen was a skater who for some reason always went around the wrong way in warm-ups and got in everyone's way. She got called on it a couple of times -- once by Michelle -- but I don't think she cared.

Anyway, this old stuff has nothing to do with the petition that is the topic of this thread.

this.

just the usual fan war stuff.. :rolleye:

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
:laugh: Are you serious or again kidding me? Where is Rochette disturbing Kim? Link, please.:popcorn:

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
In SLC the second OGM was given after they removed French's judge score and ended up with 4:4. Now with anonymity no one can know what judge gave what score. Maybe Ukranian or Estonia's Kulik gave in Yuna's favor. Maybe not. What Yuna fans keep doing from Day 1 is spreading racist implications based on Kulik's, Baranova's ethnics. If they were "true" Finn and Estonian, they wouldn't be on Yuna fans black lists. :laugh:

Let's put aside any artistic sides and subjective scoring. What's your opinion on Adelina not getting deducted for her under-rotation and wrong edges?

qwertyskates

Medalist
Ok, this part of what you say is true. You can't account for different judges, at different competitions who have different value systems. Nonetheless, when a skater has an established their technique for certain jumps---their GOE is not supposed to fluctuate at a certain point. Unless they actually mess up a jump---or fix it in some way, or the rules change their GOE should not be swinging around wildly. That is why judges scores are averaged after all.

And this is the part of what you say is bs. There is no such thing as GOE for a "clean performance." Every element is judged individually. That is why it is called the Technical Elements Score. That is why Hanyu can fall and still win gold. The technical score is cumulative, not holistic. Thus Carolina and Mao skating their first clean programs is irrelevant to GOE markings. In fact Mao did skate a clean long program with elements that had higher base value than anyone, and her technical score was lower than Adelina's for this exact reason. Mao properly rotating a triple axle for instance is relevant to her GOE.

Also posture is part of skating skills and presentation (PCS). If a skater has poor core strength they will not be able to perform through the whole program.

First of all, did you guys who post these stats things even bothered to read them?? :rolleye: They were not only Sochi's scores but also comparison across competitions.

You are the one spouting BS as a clean program means that most or all of the technical elements were performed properly without clear mistakes, so of course GOEs on the whole go up as the TES all add up. A program without a fall (i.e. clean program) is a program with higher GOEs than one with falls. A fall not only has a -1, it also receives LOWER GOE. :rolleye:

This has nothing whatsoever about whom should win gold, as higher BV, even with lower GOEs or falls, could very well score higher than one with lower BV but no falls.

Please show me WHERE are the rules that say good posture gets higher PCS, or you're pulling rabbits out of a hat. :rolleye:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Hanyu has very bad posture with hunched over shoulders but still gets one of the highest PCS.

Yes, he does. To justify the high scores in performance/execution the judges evidently think that he excels in Physical, emotional, and intellectual involvement, Carriage, Style and individuality/personality, Clarity of movement, Variety and contrast, and Projection. At the Olympics only Chan, Fernandez, and Takahashi were rated higher in these areas.

Edited to add: Here is a skater with good carriage. :)

http://www.happyhoppe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Hamill-Skating-1.jpg

http://parade.condenast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/01-19-Dorothy-Hamill-vtr.jpg

Here's another. :)

http://andrejkoymasky.com/liv/fam/bioc5/curry02/curr2a.jpg

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/16b/181/16b181d9-a64b-4be8-8305-2ca4d012b436

Last edited:

Jewels

On the Ice
You bring Korean blog as evidence? :laugh: Good grief. I'd rather trust Japanese Skating Federation in this case, they are officials afterall, unlike blogger. If Kim were not referring directly or not even implying that it was Japanese skaters who disdurbed her practice, why JSF would need to come with the statement in the first place? Any answer?

There's more if you need. :p http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=101&oid=008&aid=0002117237 http://sports.news.naver.com/sports...&mod=read&office_id=021&article_id=0001985573 http://sports.news.naver.com/sports...&mod=read&office_id=076&article_id=0001987168 http://sports.news.naver.com/sports...&mod=read&office_id=022&article_id=0002029024 Need more? The reason I posted an article from a blog(it wasn't written by a blogger, he/she just brought it from chosun ilbo) was because it was written with most details, and I tried to find the original one from its website, but couldn't find it because it's like, 5 years ago lol.
What she can't even say she was uncomfortable in a practice? It's not like she blamed a particular country or a skater. And those above are her exact words, I heard them and saw them. I'd like to tell you the video on youtube, but it's Korean fan made, so I suppose you wouldn't like to see it.
Lol yeah this case became huge by people like you-
'Hey, Yuna said she was pressured by other skaters!' 'What? She was interrupted?' 'She probably means Japanese skaters, who else?(Korean, Japanese fans)'
'Oh hey, they say Yuna's practice was interrupted by Japanese skaters! Let's publish it into articles!(Journalists)' 'It is said that Yuna said she was blocked by Japanese skaters during practice(few days after, articles)'
'What? How dare she mock the Japanese skaters?(JSF)' 'Big news JSF reacts to Yuna Kim's interview which said she was blocked by Japanese skaters(Journalists, Japanese, Korean fans go wild)'
'Hey....Yuna never mentioned Japan though.....(Management, KSF says but everybody ignores)'
And 5 years later 'Yuna had said her practice was ruined by Japanese girls! She was SO rude wasn't she??'
:laugh:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Yes, he does. To justify the high scores in performance/execution the judges evidently think that he excels in Physical, emotional, and intellectual involvement, Carriage, Style and individuality/personality, Clarity of movement, Variety and contrast, and Projection. At the Olympics only Chan, Fernandez, and Takahashi were rated higher in these areas.

Edited to add: Here is a skater with good carriage. :)

http://www.happyhoppe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Hamill-Skating-1.jpg

http://parade.condenast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/01-19-Dorothy-Hamill-vtr.jpg

Here's another. :)

http://andrejkoymasky.com/liv/fam/bioc5/curry02/curr2a.jpg

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/16b/181/16b181d9-a64b-4be8-8305-2ca4d012b436

Exactly. This is what I meant, Carriage and Posture are two different attributes. Hanyu's Posture is terrible, but it doesn't affect his PCS. sk8in says Posture affects PCS, but nowhere in the Rulez was that stated, otherwise Hanyu would be scored badly in PCS. Hanyu's Carriage is average, if he takes dance lessons like Chan his Carriage might improve.

Barb

Record Breaker
For those who're still in doubt I'll post the exact words
(일부 선수들로부터 기선제압이 있었다)지난 4대륙 선수권 때 조금 심했다는 느낌이 들었다. 그렇게까지 해야할까라는 생각이 많이 들고 말려들지 않고 싶다. 대처 방법을 찾고 있다.
(There was a 'pressure' from 'few' skaters)I thought it was a bit too much in 4cc. I don't know why they did it and I don't want to be included. I'm looking for a way to get over it.
Also the 'Korean Federation' confirmed that she never mentioned a particular country or skater and that they are gonna talk with the Japanese officials. http://www.cyworld.com/yogi824_part2/2857180 (It's a blog that copied the article from Chosun Ilbo, with the name of the journalist who wrote it.)
I dont know why you think this does yuna look better. She is accusing a few skaters, she is not saying names, so anyone could be included. It doesnt matter if she is speaking about japaneses or not. She is not talking just about feel uncomfortable, she could to feel unconfortable because she had cold, she was sick but not, she was uncomfortable because some skater was in her way, why the need of mentionating if she has not prove that it was on purpose. Even if this was not an accident of the other skater, I doubt that Is the first time that happens. I can imagine what you would be saying if Adelina would be saying something like that.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Not sure why you guys suddenly talk about something happened light years ago and had nothing to do with this subject :rolleye:

Apparently, Adelina know about this complaint through her recent interview. She is really funny I must say, said that the gold is hers, she won't give it away by any chance, lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://i.imgur.com/fX3CBft.jpg
Cre: Janet Soomin Han@Golden Yuna

ahy

Final Flight
Yeayea, an innocent girl but she isnt smart enough in answering these questions... too sensative when it comes to talking about her gold medal LOLS

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
I dont know why you think this does yuna look better. She is accusing a few skaters, she is not saying names, so anyone could be included. It doesnt matter if she is speaking about japaneses or not. She is not talking just about feel uncomfortable, she could to feel unconfortable because she had cold, she was sick but not, she was uncomfortable because some skater was in her way, why the need of mentionating if she has not prove that it was on purpose. Even if this was not an accident of the other skater, I doubt that Is the first time that happens. I can imagine what you would be saying if Adelina would be saying something like that.

It is a common etiquette to not be in the line of flow when it is other skater's turn to practice with the music. Yes you could still use other unused side of the ice BUT you MUST not be in the area where a skater is about to take off unless you want to be squashed down like an ugly fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJrl2fKOUTM

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
Not sure why you guys suddenly talk about something happened light years ago and had nothing to do with this subject :rolleye:

Apparently, Adelina know about this complaint through her recent interview. She is really funny I must say, said that the gold is hers, she won't give it away by any chance, lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://i.imgur.com/fX3CBft.jpg
Cre: Janet Soomin Han@Golden Yuna

Adelina, honey,you can keep it. Nobody's gonna strip your precious gold medal. So don't you ever feel scared or anything, you poor little soul.

Actually, the Japanese people are just being polite that's why they didn't bash her or were hostile to her like what the Russians in Sochi Oly did to Yuna and the others. That doesn't exactly mean that they don't care about Sochi controversy. Of course they do! That was the first time Mao landed her 8 triples with no glaring mistake and she wins it with a flawed program? Actually JapanTimes was one of the firsts publishers to make an article about Sochi scandal. I'm betting my bottom dollar that if she were to skate in Korea, Koreans would be polite to her too. Those people commenting in her instagram is NOT the entire country. Gosh, she sounds like some of the posters in Goldenskate.

Sounds like she was expecting (or hoping) that everyone would forget about what happened in Sochi. Personally, I think she knows, deep down, that she didn't deserve the gold. This is all just a desperate attempt to convince herself that she was the best. She should learn some humility, because her attitude is not helping her case at all. This is coming from someone who saw a lot of promise in her.