South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 50 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

bara1968

On the Ice
@qwertyskates

Your analysis is incorrect. In LP, Sot's one jump combo got negative GOE yet Yuna did not have ANY element getting negative GOE at all. Sot got more advantageous GOEs in other elements than Yuna did. You have to compare the average of positive GOEs only, to make your point accurately. For me, Sot's average GOE in LP with mistakes higher than Yuna's simply shows how lenient and ignorant judges were, to Sot's mistakes.

As the analysis frim Italian physicist shows, it is true that Sot got extremely generous GOEs from two judges and lot more generous GOE from two other judges compared to other five judges. This kind of disparity somehow happens only to two Russian skaters according to his analysis of TES in LP at Sochi. Therefore it is natural to have a doubt whether at least two judges were extremely in favor of Russian skaters in LP.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mmm, I may not be correct, but I think it was 70.73 in 2014 European championships.

You are correct and in GPF she scored 68.38
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1314/gpf1314_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

It's hard to compare anything to her Sochi FS because outside of Euros she wasn't exactly nailing it this season and the scores are a bit wild. She did seem to deliver that SP well all season long and it was getting respect pre Sochi and putting her in position for wins.

Petitefleur

Spectator
and 2 months after the Euros,Adelina skated better...so 74 points is not outrageous. And everything can change, from one day to another (Mao for exemple)...
Given all the writings in circulation, if I was at ISU, I would say that many people think one thing and the other think the reverse, that 9 judges selected by random ruled in their conscience, that only a final difference of 5 points is not outrageous, and a silver medal for a semi-retired skater is unexpected ... well, :slink:!!!

Jewels

On the Ice
and 2 months after the Euros, she skated better...so 74 points is not outrageous. And everything can change, from one day to another (Mao for exemple)

Yeah 5 point difference in each competition is not that outrageous right?-she received about 60 in COC, 64 in Eric Bompard, 69 in European, 74 in Sochi. Whole 14 points up in one season. Let's look at Carolina who had similar route. About 65 in COC, 68 in Rostelecom cup, 71 in European, 73 in sochi. And do you honestly believe Adelina deserved higher pcs in sochi than Caro, with almost all of them over 9 except transition which was 8.96? Better skating skills, better transitions, and better choreography?

sk8in

Match Penalty
It is outrageous when her PCS already went up by 5 points. There has to be a ceiling of improvement on someone's PCS when they're skating the same program all season long. Bottom line is PCS are there to reward skaters who work on their packaging/movements outside of jumps and spins. It isn't supposed to go up just because a skater's improved athleticism---which naturally happens in a competitive season.

Petitefleur

Spectator
Yeah 5 point difference in each competition is not that outrageous right?-she received about 60 in COC, 64 in Eric Bompard, 69 in European, 74 in Sochi. Whole 14 points up in one season. Let's look at Carolina who had similar route. About 65 in COC, 68 in Rostelecom cup, 71 in European, 73 in sochi. And do you honestly believe Adelina deserved higher pcs in sochi than Caro, with almost all of them over 9 except transition which was 8.96? Better skating skills, better transitions, and better choreography?
Yuna is good in everything, Carolina had the best choreography, but fighted with a few of her jumps.
A difference of 14 points within 4 months is not a scandalous improvement.
If you compare to Hanyu: he was second behind Chan at SC and TEB... at skate Canada, Hanyu obtained 234.80, at TEB he obtained 263.59, and in Sochi he obtained 280.09...

evangeline

Record Breaker

Look...I'm not saying that Adelina's PCS in Sochi were correct (let's face it, it's undeniable they were inflated) but 14 points of PCS difference in one season, especially an Olympic season, is nothing new or special. You can't compare scores across different judging panels--scores tend to go up throughout the season for the same program, especially when it's a big event like the Olympics. Here is Yu-Na's PCS for her Gershwin LP during the 2009-2010 season:

2009 Skate America: 61.52
2009 Trophee Eric Bompard: 66.40
2009 GPF: 61.52
2010 Olympics: 71.76

= basically a whole 10 points up in one season.

Or for an example this season, let's look at Yuzuru Hanyu's LP PCS:
2013 Skate Canada: 76.86
2013 TEB: 81.94
2013 GPF: 92.38
2014 Olympics: 90.98
2014 Worlds: 91.42

= so basically Hanyu's PCS had an approximately 15 point spread over the course of one season for the same program. Note the impressive 11-point jump between TEB and the GPF.....now, that is something interesting.

Jewels

On the Ice
Yuna is good in everything, Carolina had the best choreography, but fighted with a few of her jumps.
A difference of 14 points within 4 months is not a scandalous improvement.
If you compare to Hanyu: he was second behind Chan at SC and TEB... at skate Canada, Hanyu obtained 234.80, at TEB he obtained 263.59, and in Sochi he obtained 280.09...

You're now comparing with men's scores? lol don't you think you've gone too far? I think they are gonna go over 300 soon.
Give me another female skater whose pcs rose more than 14 points this season.

and a silver medal for a semi-retired skater is unexpected

I would say a skater who was 9th in last years worlds, 5th in gpf, and no titles in any major competition in her senior career would be more unexpected.

Jewels

On the Ice
Look...I'm not saying that Adelina's PCS in Sochi were correct (let's face it, it's undeniable they were inflated) but 14 points of PCS difference in one season, especially an Olympic season, is nothing new or special. You can't compare scores across different judging panels--scores tend to go up throughout the season for the same program, especially when it's a big event like the Olympics. Here is Yu-Na's PCS for her Gershwin LP during the 2009-2010 season:

2009 Skate America: 61.52
2009 Trophee Eric Bompard: 66.40
2009 GPF: 61.52
2010 Olympics: 71.76

= basically a whole 10 points up in one season.

Or for an example this season, let's look at Yuzuru Hanyu's LP PCS:
2013 Skate Canada: 76.86
2013 TEB: 81.94
2013 GPF: 92.38
2014 Olympics: 90.98
2014 Worlds: 91.42

= so basically Hanyu's PCS had an approximately 15 point spread over the course of one season for the same program. Note the impressive 11-point jump between TEB and the GPF.....now, that is something interesting.

In 2010 olympic games, there were others whose pcs got up that much too. How about Mao who went from 60(eric bompard) to 67(oly)? How about Joannie who went from 58(COC) to 68(oly)? As for men, I haven't got anything to say, because I don't know about men much and I don't just assume things.

Barb

Record Breaker
So, it is ok up the pcs for Yuna, Mao and Joannie in just one season, but not for Adelina. Very convenient.

sk8in

Match Penalty
No it isn't ok for any skater. That leap for Hanyu is insane. A 15 point spread is a lot bigger than a 10 point spread. And Yuna was known for setting world records under the CoP system outside of 'major' competitions at that point. There was at least precedent for her to raise her scores like that based on being an outstanding.

Jewels

On the Ice
Adelina's pcs boost was still 4 points higher than them, can't say that's little as it can make difference to the results.
And IMO it's more appropriate to compare with other skaters from this quad. I was using Mao and Joannie's pcs because they were Yuna's rivals at that time, and I wanted to explain how 'all' of them got up not just Yuna.
So anyway are you suggesting that Adelina deserved higher pcs than Mao and Caro in Sochi? I thought that was the main argument here.

Meoima

Match Penalty
If you want to talk about men, then there are some examples:

Javier FERNANDEZ 253.92 (Olympic) ---> 275.93 (WC)
PCS: 89.14 (Olympic) --> 91.18 (WC)
Tatsuki Machida 253.42 (Olympic) ---> 282.26 (WC)
PCS: 82.50 (Rostelecom) --> 88.22(Olympic) --> 90.20 (WC)

sk8in

Match Penalty
It would be nice to see how much all the ladies skaters' PCS went up over this past season as well. Did they all get an equal boost, or were their PCS raised differently to negate their value? Carolina is known for high PCS right? And she got 10s at Sochi, but her PCS was still lower than Adelina's because you can't get higher than a 10. What the judges did was jack up Adelina's PCS so much, that there was no room for other skaters to best her in that half of the score. That is why it is outrageous. Maybe skaters typically get PCS boosts over the course of a season, but if that is the case it should be done proportionally.

Meoima

Match Penalty
so basically Hanyu's PCS had an approximately 15 point spread over the course of one season for the same program. Note the impressive 11-point jump between TEB and the GPF.....now, that is something interesting.
I think Hanyu often gets high PCS in GPF, maybe because he often peaks at that time. Note that Hanyu got 85.16 PCS in the last season GPF. From GPF 2012 (85.16) to GPF 2013 (92.38) = 7.11 point different in a year.

If you are talking about the same program, then Hanyu was tedious at Skate Canada. He was not as tedious at TEB. And very very good at GPF. The 11 point different in PCS is quite something though. The funny things is, with 102.03 TES, Hanyu only needed 82 PCS to beat PChan in GPF 2013. That means 11 point different in PCS from TEB to GPF was not essential for his win there because his TES only was enough for him to stand on the 1st place.

I think the judges were generous in PCS in all season. After worlds, Javi and Machida also gets 90s PCS now.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Adelina's pcs boost was still 4 points higher than them, can't say that's little as it can make difference to the results.
And IMO it's more appropriate to compare with other skaters from this quad. I was using Mao and Joannie's pcs because they were Yuna's rivals at that time, and I wanted to explain how 'all' of them got up not just Yuna.
So anyway are you suggesting that Adelina deserved higher pcs than Mao and Caro in Sochi? I thought that was the main argument here.

This. Gotta compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges.

Also, aren't men's PCS calculated differently?