South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 67 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

sk8in

Match Penalty
People seem to forget this.

Adelina has always had the goods to compete at the top; I've been saying it for years. When she skates well she gets high scores, regardless of what country she's in. Her inconsistency is what has hurt her for the longest. Both of the GPs she finished 2nd at this year were ones she could have won if she didn't make so many mistakes. Sochi was the first time she nailed two programs in years so the comparisons about how she never won anything don't hold much water b/c there's nothing to judge that against.

I don't think her scores deserved to be as crazy high as they were in Sochi. BUT skating at 95% the girl deserves 70+ and 135+ scores regardless of what country she is in.
Polina Edmunds' short program had more technical content than Sotnikova's, and yet she placed in seventh behind Ashley Wagner. The difference? Adelina made up NINE points in GOE, and SEVEN in Components. Where is the push for "new and upcoming" skaters when it comes to Edmunds? Oh that's right, Edmunds isn't a Russian.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Adelina versus Yuna was David and Goliath. Sometimes it goes one way, sometimes the other. ;)

Indeed it was David and Goliath, except you have got the wrong David and the wrong Goliath MM.

As far as I am aware Yuna has always been the David in this sport since the very beginning, who eventually out maneuvered everyone by consistently better, faster, creative, smarter, wiser, precise, agile and nimble. That was why her story is inspiring to many young skaters from no power federation, because they believed as long as they work hard, perform better, better techniques, better programs are enough to succeed in this 'sport'.

The story of Sochi shattered this illusion. It is more like the sequel to David and Goliath. The one where David grew up, became the king to his own kingdom but having to fight for its future survival by taking his final battle at Goliath Head quarter against Princess Goliath knowing this time Goliathes are well prepared with rules changes already, plus a judging panel and audiences consists of mostly Goliath's cousins and friends who are out for revenge doing whatever is necessary. Achilles heel is well boot strapped, sling proof no matter what David did.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Yeah I wouldn't call a premiere Russian skater, skating in Russia with the backing of its federation, a "David" under any circumstances.

Poor Goliath. Everyone wants to be David.

Remember, David was the one who came without having won any battles previously and prevailed only because of help from Above.

Goliath had never finished off the podium.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
This sport's mantra might as well be

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive"

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Polina Edmunds' short program had more technical content than Sotnikova's, and yet she placed in seventh behind Ashley Wagner. The difference? Adelina made up NINE points in GOE, and SEVEN in Components. Where is the push for "new and upcoming" skaters when it comes to Edmunds? Oh that's right, Edmunds isn't a Russian.

Edmunds was not one of the famous up and coming skaters. The "golden trio" was: Yulia, Adelina, and Gracie. These were the over scored ones. Didn't Polina fall too?

sk8in

Match Penalty
In her free skate yes, not in her short. Gracie Gold also had more technical content in her short than Adelina and was a whopping 6 points behind after the short. Julia fell on her 3F and got a score over 4 points higher score than Polina Edmunds, who skated clean. Yes, Julia actually fell on a jump and scored higher than the equally young American who skated totally clean.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In her free skate yes, not in her short. Gracie Gold also had more technical content in her short than Adelina and was a whopping 6 points behind after the short. Julia fell on her 3F and got a score over 4 points higher score than Polina Edmunds, who skated clean. Yes, Julia actually fell on a jump and scored higher than the equally young American who skated totally clean.

Polina's 3lz-3t was downgraded while Lip nailed hers. Also Yulia's last two spins scored great GOE. There is a 6 point difference right there. Can't we just say Polina had a great debut. Why bring her into this? They both made errors in the SP.

sk8in

Match Penalty
No errors were selectively applied by a pro-Russian, biased technical panel and judges. You don't make up 4 points on spins after falling on an element as valuable as a 3F. Sorry, that it just a load of crap. Julia's components were marked FIVE points higher than Polina's. Her technical score was only higher by a point after GOE inflation (her base value was TWO points lower than Polina's at a mere 28). Stop try to spin Julia's scores with some crap about how she can dislocate her pelvis. That is not a valid explanation for what is a blatant case of horrible bs judging.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah the old load of crap theory. Very compelling. She was scored 9pts lower than her WC score without a single Russian judge on the panel.

What's the point though.. Your not interested in discussing this fairly.

Yulia's last two spins are worth more than Mao's 3a. :think:

Add up the spins:yes:

Yulia ~14
Polina~11

I think if Yulia only has a fall and doesn't mess up anything else her PCS now and in the near future...especially Sochi will score higher. IMO and many others this isn't unfair.

sk8in

Match Penalty
I just pointed out to you that she was upgraded over Polina on components not GOE for spins. Really, the bottom line is that a program with a fall should NOT have a TES that is higher than a program that is completely clean. When Adelina is only doing 2 3T and 1 3F, you see very clearly how the judging was warped in favor of Russians. It did not favor "up and comers," it did not favor spins, and it did not favor veterans either. If you got bonus points that night, relative to the other skaters, it was because you were Russian.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You have every right to believe what you want. It's just unnecessary to call my opinion a load of crap. I'm not just trying to upset you. I truely feel Yulia is a better skater than Polina ATM. She had a great skate with a fall. It's not supposed to destroy your PCS. That's not how judging works. Now if she was falling all over from element to element...missing steps and all..sure.

I still don't understand why Polina is being brought into this. She did fine:yes:

sk8in

Match Penalty
No it is not a belief that Yulia's score was inflated by components and spins had little to do with it. It is a fact visible to anyone on the score sheets. Being a fan of someone is not an excuse for favoring them because of nationality. It is disgusting to openly let one's fandom supercede the integrity of the sport. Julia did not deserve to score above Polina that night, and you should readily admit it.

cooper

Medalist
Polina's 3lz-3t was downgraded while Lip nailed hers. Also Yulia's last two spins scored great GOE. There is a 6 point difference right there. Can't we just say Polina had a great debut. Why bring her into this? They both made errors in the SP.

edmund's 3lutz-3toe was downgraded?? and yet julia's small jumps didn't.. and received goe's+ and adelina's non call on her flutz? yeah.. there's no bias indeed from the tech panel composed of one russian and baranova who was seen backstage waiting in line to hug adelina..

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
edmund's 3lutz-3toe was downgraded?? and yet julia's small jumps didn't.. and received goe's+ and adelina's non call on her flutz? yeah.. there's no bias indeed from the tech panel composed of one russian and baranova who was seen backstage waiting in line to hug adelina..

Yeah it's weird. Almost as if the judges used all the bullet points and not just height like there supposed to. Come on ..be fair please. She didnt flutz that jump and even if some judges deducted one point for an unclear edge it wouldn't necessarily show up on the score sheet as an (e). Look at the GOE guidelines if you don't believe me. She got mostly 2's and 1's. It was a good jump. The replay I saw looked good and the commentators even said so. There is however a suspicious GIF that had weird angles at one point.

mich2

Match Penalty
Adelina has won two senior international events in her career: the Golden Spin of Zagreb (Croatia) in 2011 and the 2014 Olympics.

Sarah Hughes won three: 1999 Vienna Cup, 2001 Skate Canada, and the 2002 Olympics.

Peaking at the right time. :yes:

Adelina versus Yuna was David and Goliath. Sometimes it goes one way, sometimes the other. ;)
Like Yuna. Peaking at the right time in Vancouver and never really had clean skates before or after.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Yeah it's weird. Almost as if the judges used all the bullet points and not just height like there supposed to. Come on ..be fair please. She didnt flutz that jump and even if some judges deducted one point for an unclear edge it wouldn't necessarily show up on the score sheet as an (e). Look at the GOE guidelines if you don't believe me. She got mostly 2's and 1's. It was a good jump. The replay I saw looked good and the commentators even said so. There is however a suspicious GIF that had weird angles at one point.
Bullet points used by Sochi judges for Julia's GOE: "+she is really short!, +her dress is blue! +look at that mournful sullen expression!"

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bullet points used by Sochi judges for Julia's GOE: "+she is really short!, +her dress is blue! +look at that mournful sullen expression!"

Is that what it's come to? Reduce anyone's skate you don't like to the lowest common factor. You're really respecting the integrity of the sport.

I now see your simply trolling. :popcorn:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about Yuna's 10/10/9.75/9.5/9.5 for PCS. How does that for into your scenario. Is that a fair score?