The EBU and ISU strike new Broadcasting Deal. | Golden Skate

The EBU and ISU strike new Broadcasting Deal.

GF2445

Record Breaker
If you have a network under the EBU, more coverage is on the way!

"The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) and the International Skating Union (ISU) have reached an agreement on exclusive media rights from 2015 – 2019, marking 50 years of EBU-ISU partnership. The agreement covers traditional EBU territory with the EBU also becoming the media rights partner of ISU in the rest of the world (excluding China, Japan, Korea, USA and Canada, which remain under the control of ISU).

This new deal will ensure that more than 130 events over the four seasons (2015/16; 2016/17; 2017/18; 2018/19) will enjoy maximum free-to-air exposure on EBU Members’ radio, TV and online channels. The portfolio covers 52 World and European Championships in the three ISU disciplines of Figure Skating, Speed Skating and Short Track as well as the series of Grand Prix and World Cups, together with "ISU World Team Trophy of Figure Skating...."

Click Link below to read the whole article.
http://www.isu.org/en/news-and-events/news/2014/03/isu-ebu-news-statement

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I honestly don't get what they're saying here. First they talk about free-to-air through EBU channels, but the article also states:

ISU President, Ottavio Cinquanta said: “The ISU is delighted to continue its long term partnership with the EBU by not only renewing its current contract with EBU Members but also by intrusting the EBU with the sale of TV/media rights in countries that currently do not show ISU disciplines.

What does that mean, exactly, for, say, Eurosport countries? Does the EBU resell the rights to them? (Eurosport have had the rights for the big championships for quite some time)? Exclusive media rights vs the word sale have me a bit confused now. ;-)

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I'm thinking that they will sell what they can sell, and (hopefully) stream rest of it for free for us to see...

But seeing as Eurosport usually buys the right for all ISU figure skating competitions and then proceed to not show a lot of it, I am still sceptical whether we (Europeans) will actually get to see more figure skating in the future.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
sequinsgalore: Yes, that sounds very likely. Guess for us, in the end, nothing much changes, then.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, after the chaos that has ensued due to the IOC not renewing the Olympics contract with the EBU, it is great to see that the ISU has had the sense to continue with them!

Question.

Is eurosport under the ebu or is it under discovery?

What does that mean, exactly, for, say, Eurosport countries? Does the EBU resell the rights to them? (Eurosport have had the rights for the big championships for quite some time)? Exclusive media rights vs the word sale have me a bit confused now. ;-)

Mmmmm. I had never heard that Discovery had bought into Eurosport, never mind that they had increased their stake to over 50%. I thought Eurosport was still completely owned by TF1 (the French state broadcaster).

However, TF1 still owns 49% of Eurosport. And since TF1 is an EBU member, I think Eurosport will still have access to EBU material. At least, I hope so!

After losing MotoGP and the Olympics, losing the figure skating as well would be a major blow not only to Eurosport, but to us as viewers.

CaroLiza_fan