Skate America to be in Chicago area (Hoffman Estates, IL) Oct. 24-26 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skate America to be in Chicago area (Hoffman Estates, IL) Oct. 24-26

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
Haha, no worries. I lived in Chicago (albeit it was like a decade ago) so I do remember seeing traffic pretty frequently. Though at the time I had no car (just my trusty 1970s Schwinn bicycle) and used CTA a lot so, I guess I was never really exposed to it that much.

Also I should mention I did my first half marathon was in Chicago back in 2005. :)

There is a half-marathon that weekend in downtown Chicago, but I think it might be a bit much. There's also a 5 and 10 k...maybe I'll do one of those instead!?

Mrs. P, you're making me pooped just thinking of running at all and then going to Skate America!!! But props to anyone committed to running, because I could never do it.

Glad you're familiar with the landscape here. My sons live in the city and one has now left his car at my house all winter long because he's tired of dealing with snowplows in the winter and street cleaning in the summer. So a Schwinn and public transportation sounds perfect down there.

If you stay in Rosemont, there may be a shuttle from the hotel to the el, which takes you straight into O'Hare. If I have to travel for the day, or even overnight, I'll often park there and just take the el the rest of the way in.

Speaking of sons, one went to Ohio State, so we're also Buckeye's fans. Except when they're playing Indiana University, where my other son went, then we're neutral. Sort of.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yeah, the Chicago Marriott Northwest is a mile away and a cab each way once a day, assuming you couldn't find a ride buddy, is still much cheaper than a rental car....but its $200 a night.....please, Ontairo Calif. put in for SkateAmerica again.
Yeah I am possibly reconsidering too... it might just not be realistic for me without public transit unless I can rent a car for considerably less than it is looking like I can at the moment...

Restaurants right there are nonexistent but in Schaumburg (10-15 min away) there are many and everything. Hotels will probably run between $100 and $150 a night- if you want the one closest to the arena currently it is going for $139/night for those dates.

Yes, a car is a necessity. The ONLY way you could realistically (meaning without a TON, truly a TON of hassle) make it work without a car would be to stay in the hotel closest to the arena (it's still about 3 miles away), take a cab to and from the airport, and take cabs back and forth from the arena, with the arena and the hotel being literally the only places you went.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P, you're making me pooped just thinking of running at all and then going to Skate America!!! But props to anyone committed to running, because I could never do it.

Glad you're familiar with the landscape here. My sons live in the city and one has now left his car at my house all winter long because he's tired of dealing with snowplows in the winter and street cleaning in the summer. So a Schwinn and public transportation sounds perfect down there.

If you stay in Rosemont, there may be a shuttle from the hotel to the el, which takes you straight into O'Hare. If I have to travel for the day, or even overnight, I'll often park there and just take the el the rest of the way in.

Speaking of sons, one went to Ohio State, so we're also Buckeye's fans. Except when they're playing Indiana University, where my other son went, then we're neutral. Sort of.

I was almost a Hoosier! I applied and got accepted to IU, but the out-of-state tuition was a bit much for me (I was living in Louisville, Ky. at the time). Ended up going to an in-state school.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
I was almost a Hoosier! I applied and got accepted to IU, but the out-of-state tuition was a bit much for me (I was living in Louisville, Ky. at the time). Ended up going to an in-state school.

Wow - you have been all over!! I know what you mean about the tuition - especially if you're in a state that gives you a break for going to an in-state school. IL isn't exactly the best with that so going out of state wasn't that much more.

I'm moving out of Lake County because the property taxes are so high (11K a year for a 3 bedroom home?!) and the thought of purging and packing is overwhelming, but you seem to have done it more than once, so I'm hopeful I'll survive.

Then again - you're younger and run marathons....lol.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow - you have been all over!! I know what you mean about the tuition - especially if you're in a state that gives you a break for going to an in-state school. IL isn't exactly the best with that so going out of state wasn't that much more.

I'm moving out of Lake County because the property taxes are so high (11K a year for a 3 bedroom home?!) and the thought of purging and packing is overwhelming, but you seem to have done it more than once, so I'm hopeful I'll survive.

Then again - you're younger and run marathons....lol.

Wow! That is ridiculous! I guess I'm not surprised given the area -- I had a roommate whose family lives in Lake Villa and I recall home prices being pretty high over there.

I have been all over! Spent most of my growing up years in Pennsylvania (mostly Philadelphia and vicinity); moved to Kentucky at 16, went to college there. Spent summers in between college years in internships in Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Orlando. Lived in Chicago briefly after college than moved to Washington state about 8 years ago.

Moving is not that bad. In fact, it's a great chance for you to declutter so you can pack light. :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
And it looks like you can avoid going through downtown Chicago by taking the i-55/i-294/i-290 to 90 (though I"m sure those roads are terrible during rush hour also).

One option I'm considering is staying near the airport (O'Hare) and renting a car. That way I have access to CTA but still within a reasonable drive to Hoffman Estates.

As long as you aren't driving from Midway to anywhere with a definite deadline (eg straight to mens sp, you should be fine & it's certainly closer than Milwaukee. If you get a cheap flight I say go for it. Just be prepared for the traffic! When I moved back here after quite a while in NYC I was shocked by how bad it had gotten (of course I didn't drive in NY so that may have colored my perception). If you do stay near OHare it's pretty barren as to most stuff but for those of you who like to shop there is a new upscale outlet mall quite nearby. Can't remember name but if anyone is interested I will look it up and post later. I haven't been but I know it has Gucci, can't remember what else.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
As long as you aren't driving from Midway to anywhere with a definite deadline (eg straight to mens sp, you should be fine & it's certainly closer than Milwaukee. If you get a cheap flight I say go for it. Just be prepared for the traffic! When I moved back here after quite a while in NYC I was shocked by how bad it had gotten (of course I didn't drive in NY so that may have colored my perception). If you do stay near OHare it's pretty barren as to most stuff but for those of you who like to shop there is a new upscale outlet mall quite nearby. Can't remember name but if anyone is interested I will look it up and post later. I haven't been but I know it has Gucci, can't remember what else.

Papagena, good information. I forgot about that mall. Here is a link: http://www.fashionoutletsofchicago.com/

I noticed they list hotels that have 'shop and stay packages' which may provide some kind of room discount.