Skate America to be in Chicago area (Hoffman Estates, IL) Oct. 24-26 | Golden Skate

Skate America to be in Chicago area (Hoffman Estates, IL) Oct. 24-26

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://www.hhonorssponsorships.com/figureskating/news/1578/

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (March 25, 2014) – U.S. Figure Skating announced today the selection of Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Ill. (suburban Chicago), as the host venue for 2014 Hilton HHonors Skate America. Hilton HHonors, the guest loyalty program of Hilton Worldwide’s 10 distinct hotel brands, celebrates its fourth year as the title sponsor of Skate America, the first of six stops on the International Skating Union (ISU) Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series. Competition featuring 56 world-class skaters from around the world will take place Oct. 24-26.

“The Greater Chicago area is home to many of our clubs and has an extensive skating fan base,” U.S. Figure Skating Executive Director David Raith said. “U.S. Figure Skating is excited to bring our principal international event to this skating-rich area.”

Skate America, the premier annual international figure skating competition held in the United States since 1979, will be held in the Chicago area for the first time. The event will be the first major U.S. Figure Skating event, domestic or international, held in Greater Chicago since the 1946 U.S. Championships. Sears Centre recently hosted the 2014 Midwestern & Pacific Coast Synchronized Sectional Championships in January. The Hilton Rosemont/Chicago O’Hare will be the official host hotel for the event.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Quandary. Do I go to Skate Canada, which is actually closer to my house? Or do I go to Skate America, which is in one of my fave cities and would give Mr. P an excuse to ride the Empire Builder? Decisions, decisions.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Oh, holy cow, my hometown (well, HE is about 20 minutes from the suburb I live in) AND it's also a football bye week for my college team! :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh, holy cow, my hometown (well, HE is about 20 minutes from the suburb I live in) AND it's also a football bye week for my college team! :)

Ooohhh a chance to meet the famous (to me, anyway) mskater93? Hm.....

tulosai

Record Breaker
Quandary. Do I go to Skate Canada, which is actually closer to my house? Or do I go to Skate America, which is in one of my fave cities and would give Mr. P an excuse to ride the Empire Builder? Decisions, decisions.

Come to SkAm with me!!! You can't beat Chicago!

MINE TOO!! I no longer live there but Chi is where I'm from and where I went to college!

mskater93

Record Breaker
At least we don't get earthquakes, forest fires, and torrential rain (oh, wait, we got that LAST spring :think:) in Chicago.

Hey, PITD, it's possible that it will START snowing here for NEXT winter that week...:eek:hwell:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Also just so everyone knows, the Sears Center is pretty far out of the city center. Like, even in ideal traffic 45 minutes out. And it isn't reachable with public transport. So be aware of that.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
At least we don't get earthquakes, forest fires, and torrential rain (oh, wait, we got that LAST spring :think:) in Chicago.

Hey, PITD, it's possible that it will START snowing here for NEXT winter that week...:eek:hwell:

Or at the rate we've been going, mskater, a couple of weeks before.....lol.

tulosai, no fair taunting those of us who have suffered through such a LONG winter. Good call on explaining the location, by the way.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also just so everyone knows, the Sears Center is pretty far out of the city center. Like, even in ideal traffic 45 minutes out. And it isn't reachable with public transport. So be aware of that.

Not even via Metra?

tulosai

Record Breaker
Or at the rate we've been going, mskater, a couple of weeks before.....lol.

tulosai, no fair taunting those of us who have suffered through such a LONG winter. Good call on explaining the location, by the way.

Oh unfortunately I'm not in SoCal... just love to visit... :) the winter where I currently am isn't like Chicago bad, but hasn't been a picnic by any stretch of the imagination. it snowed today fairly heavily.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Last time I drive thru Chicago I was paying tolls to the point I ran out of change and just went thru a gate and this siren went off. Will I be welcomed back. I mean...I owe the city like 45 cents or something.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So I guess I shouldn't point out that I ran in t-shirts and shorts the other day in Washington state.... :slink: