Firing Ottavio Cinquanta | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Firing Ottavio Cinquanta

sinless69uk

Rinkside
Some of what he says on speed skating makes sense. It seems wrong to have the same distances competed over in both short and long track. I don't think the speed skating world is big enough to justify this.
A 250 metre track makes sense as a relatively low cost compromise.
The ISU could follow the lead of cross country skiing by having some events in one style and some in another e.g 500m as time trial, 1000m as heats/finals etc and long distance event as a mass start.
The 250m track solves the problem of people starting/finishing in/out in the 500 as they could start on opposite sides of the track as in a pursuit.

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
Some of what he says on speed skating makes sense. It seems wrong to have the same distances competed over in both short and long track. I don't think the speed skating world is big enough to justify this.
A 250 metre track makes sense as a relatively low cost compromise.
The ISU could follow the lead of cross country skiing by having some events in one style and some in another e.g 500m as time trial, 1000m as heats/finals etc and long distance event as a mass start.
The 250m track solves the problem of people starting/finishing in/out in the 500 as they could start on opposite sides of the track as in a pursuit.

I absolutely disagree.
There is a significant difference in records of short and long track. Short track is about 5 seconds per 500 meters slower and that’s logical. The distance is too short to pick up speed for real. This may be fun to watch and it’s handy because it fits into a hockey rink but it absolutely doesn’t answer the question who skates the fastest. Making short track the priority would mean replacing sport by cheap entertainment and a competition replaced by a lottery. As simple as that!

The comparison with cross-country skiing is not relevant.