Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs | Golden Skate

Shocking news - proposal to eliminate short programs

cooper

Medalist
in all seriousness.. ISU is not making any profits?? like mathman said it looks like they're broke..

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Wow. Here's a shocking suggestion: let's clean up the sport from the top down

- become a professional organization run by respected figure skating experts elected by all the federations
- remove conflicts of interest from decision making - policy level and at a judging level
- recruit and hire competent judges who are not nominated or chosen in any way by their federations
- remove anonymous judging
- make judging decisions of international events fully transparent and accountable
- improve communication along with that transparency

If the sport can become clean from the top down, and be more transparent and accountable, and prove that good decisions/results can be made at international competitions that have nothing to do with "taking one's turn", life-time achievement awards, who's been there the longest, which music you liked best, which country one comes from, who the coach is, etc., and everything to do with how the skaters skate on the day of competition, perhaps some credibility will come to the sport. And with credibility, perhaps some money will come too.

Ven

Match Penalty
Looks like Cinquanta created this pot stirrer as smoke and mirrors to push aside the judging controversy discussion at Worlds.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
all of these ideas are so dumb

if they keep trying to cost cut like this, they'll be having the skaters compete via ozmosis from their hotel rooms

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I was hoping this was April Fool's Day! :cry:

The short program is half the fun.. now we only get to watch one instead of two. This is a horrible idea! lol. I guess that means the short dances go too.

kikakiks

On the Ice
I am shocked...this man is delusional...I am extremely respectful of the elderly, but at 75 years old couldn't he step down already?

sk8in

Match Penalty
his logic seems poor. track and field basically works on the exact same principal of 'long' and 'short' events. You have the 100 meter dash all the way up to 2 mile runs. They are different disciplines/require different training.

jcsamex

Rinkside
OMG!!! All his suggestions seem to come from someone who's done with skating in all its forms and just want to cut expenses no matter what (his suggestions in speed skating are simply outrageous).

When it comes to figure skating, I absolutely agree on simplifying the scoring system but eliminating the short program basically eliminates as well half the emotion there is on a competition as we all now nowadays is absolutely makeable to come back from a poor short program and get a medal.

As for the anonymous judging, I think it has hurt skating competitions credibility much more than anything else ever before.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I hope members of the ISU’s governing council will protest so speedy won't have his plans executed as he wants.:bang:

I am shocked...this man is delusional...I am extremely respectful of the elderly, but at 75 years old couldn't he step down already?

Article 13, paragraph 4, of the ISU Constitution:

In order to be eligible for election, any candidate for election or re-election as an ISU elected Office Holder, (except for Technical Committee Chair or member as specified in Article 20, paragraph 2 and the Special Regulations), must not reach the age of 75 prior to being elected for any elected Office.

This article was set aside in the case of Cinquanta.

Article 13, paragraph 1:

Elections of the President, Vice Presidents, Council members, Technical Committee Chairs, Technical Committee members, the Disciplinary Commission Chair and Disciplinary Commission members shall be held only at Congresses every four years. The original term of office shall be for four years and all offices shall be deemed to be vacant immediately before the elections. Beginning with the 2014 Congress and subject to paragraph 3 of this Article, all elected Office Holders as listed above may serve for a maximum of three successive four-year terms.

Cinquanta served five+ terms, but this provision did not apply to him, only to his successor.

Cinuyanta's position in the ISU is basically Dictator for Life.