2014 Worlds - Pairs Free Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Pairs Free Skating

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I think there are more pairs Olympic champions that 5 times world champions :) This should comfort them at least a little I guess

I agree. 5 WCs is a huge achievement!

The protocols are up by the way.

Boy they were sticklers on the levels for the twists. S/S got level 1. B/L were the only level 3 triple twists.

Pretty big sticklers on the GOEs too. (Except for S/S.)

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I was in tears during S & S's performance as well. They are legendary and they really rose to the occasion tonight. There's something about them that both enchants and moves me deeply. I will miss them so much!!!

auser

Record Breaker
Is anyone else listening to the post comp interviews? Did Robin just say something about enjoying the last comp of the season .... is he leaving the door open to continue skating? Or am I wishfully reading into this?:biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Is anyone else listening to the post comp interviews? Did Robin just say something about enjoying the last comp of the season .... is he leaving the door open to continue skating? Or am I wishfully reading into this?:biggrin:

I heard that too! They had so much fun out there today! I could see them beaming throughout their performance...maybe that convinced Robin to stick around a bit longer? :biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Strong performance by the Germans. And a 5th World title! :clap:

S/K were great too, but sharper in Sochi, obvs. Well deserved silver though.

Congrats to D/R! Too bad about the 3S, otherwise they might have edged out S/K, but two bronzes in a row isn't bad. Also props to MT/M for another superb FS!

Small technical CoP quibble... I hate how a 3T+3T(SEQ) (done by the Germans) is actually worth less in base value than a 3T+2T+2T (done by S/K). It's stuff like that which makes the CoP weird... can we just eliminate the stupid 80% SEQ thing?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

You are definitely wishfully reading too much into it.

Looking at the protocals I can now see what some mean when they say M-T&M are undervalued on PCS. They lost the bronze to D&R entirely on PCS over the two programs really. I can see how technically they can be beaten by other teams, but is their PCS really weaker than D&R.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Damn,

I got the hots for Klimov :confused:

It looks like S\K are holding back tears :\

Anyone know of any reason why they were in such a "Let's get it over" mood this week ?

whatif

Medalist
Based on the scores all season and even this competition, I am not sure what S/S want to prove by staying? S/K beat them twice this season and were very close doing it again here without any gifting. Imagine what will happen when the real politics begin next season. They will be buried.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I just choked up again watching Robin and Aliona on the medal stand. They exude class and dignity while still being sparky and spunky and adorable. Love them. How cute was Aliona biting her medal?! and I love the German National Anthem.

I am not a Duhamel and Radford fan but they skated very well in this competition and it's nice to see them looking so happy and relaxed. Megan finally loses her manic intensity and seems actually at peace!

Stolbova on the other hand looks miserable, almost on the verge of tears?

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Yes, keep telling yourself that.

Anyone who is questioning their amazing career is either a V/T extreme uber fan or in denial. This pair dominated since 2007-2008 season and led the sport for two Olympic cycles, winning medals at every single international competition they have entered since 2006. Sure, they will probably always regret their Olympic misses but overall they have one of the best career of pairs history (at least modern pair history). Totmianina/Marinin won the Olympics gold and I don't think they will ever come even close to the level of recognition S/S are getting. Olympic gold is not everything and on the long run, they will be much missed and appreciated for what they brought on the ice, not for their medals.

whatif

Medalist
Damn,

I got the hots for Klimov :confused:

It looks like S\K are holding back tears :\

Anyone know of any reason why they were in such a "Let's get it over" mood this week ?

She said "It's OVER" at the end to him. They are just very very tired this season. It's just gruelling. We, fans, selfishly just do not pay attention how difficult is the Olympics season. That's why the Olympians who go to Worlds need to get and extra bonus some kinda.

Also, you are not alone with your feelings about Klimov.

whatif

Medalist
Anyone who is questioning their amazing career is either a V/T extreme uber fan or in denial. This pair dominated since 2007-2008 season and led the sport for two Olympic cycles, winning medals at every single international competition they have entered since 2006. Sure, they will probably always regret their Olympic misses but overall they have one of the best career of pairs history (at least modern pair history). Totmianina/Marinin won the Olympics gold and I don't think they will ever come even close to the level of recognition S/S are getting. Olympic gold is not everything and on the long run, they will be much missed and appreciated for what they brought on the ice, not for their medals.

Where did I question their career?

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Based on the scores all season and even this competition, I am not sure what S/S want to prove by staying? S/K beat them twice this season and were very close doing it again here without any gifting. Imagine what will happen when the real politics begin next season. They will be buried.

I think your definition of the word "buried" is pretty idiosyncratic.

Anyway, yes, please retire on a high note S/S!!! I doubt V/T are retiring for a few years, and the judges obviously won't let them lose without a few major screwups. And V/T likely won't be doing that anytime soon.

BounceAround

On the Ice

From Valentina's facebook post, I got the sense that the "sleeping in the arena" was more of a positive than a negative. It sounded like the organizers had some (very pretty!) beds installed in the arena so that the athletes could "rest between the practices". The skaters' hotel seems to be an hour away, and I presume that that's where most of them sleep.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats S/S for their fifth world title. Their career is nothing short of amazing even with that elusive gold medal

They are truly the Michelle Kwan of pairs. Other than maybe Kim, nobody since the inception of CoP has been so dominant... in any discipline.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think there are more pairs Olympic champions that 5 times world champions :) This should comfort them at least a little I guess

Well, they wanted an Olympic Gold so much. To me is all the same tbh.
My fav.lady was Kwan and she never got one. Like Peter O'Toole with Oscars, my absolute fav. actor, never got one. :)

Becki

Medalist

Wait...

how exactly did S/K beat S/S TWICE this season? S/S placed 1st in every competition they entered except for the Olympics (3rd). And how will they be buried? o_O they haven't been buried all these years, why next year?

whatif

Medalist
Wait...

how exactly did S/K beat S/S TWICE this season? S/S placed 1st in every competition they entered except for the Olympics (3rd). And how will they be buried? o_O they haven't been buried all these years, why next year?

So how can somebody place 3rd and still not be beaten??? LOL. I forgot that they WDed at Euros so technically the were not beaten. BUT S/K did beat V/T in FS.

All I am saying is that time of dominance ends at some point. When they competed there were few teams as consistent as S/K and V/T. I wish them all the best and i hope they stay, I enjoy them. But I also do not see any reason for them NOT for fans.