2014 Worlds - Pairs Free Skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Pairs Free Skating

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well I wouldn't go through them myself, I suck at math. But I'm sure someone else on the boards will!
Agreed with you on S/S, wonderful team and I'll miss them.
I hope Aljona is either satisfied skating with a new partner, or looks back on her career with pride and joy, just like those of us who've enjoyed them for the last decade.
They are supreme athletes and beautiful artists.

It's not so much the math for me as it is remembering all the abbreviations: PCpSp4. It's like a demented game of Battleship!

Alba

Record Breaker
Good point, but the sequence is FAR more difficult to execute -- I mean, it's two triples in a row with not many steps separating them. And of course, the unison and timing of a 3T in sequence, as in the jumps and the steps between them in series, also has to be there.

Of course a 2 triples in a row are very difficult, especially for a couple. Mind you, it's easier with few steps in terms of timing and unison.
Anyway, my guess is that the idea is to give more credit to the timing and the unison, which is more important for pairs.
Doing it 3 times is more difficult in that sense. I think both sequences could have same points though, but I'm not sure.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Mr. p and whatif could make up a good pair if goldenskate forum is a rink. Like cat-dog relationship but do really well in competition. :biggrin:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Congrats Stolbova/Klimov with well deserved silver medal. Didn't like S/S today, but well... congrats to them too, and bye.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
1 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER 224.88 1 1 video
2 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS 215.92 3 2 video
3 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD CAN 210.84 2 4 video
4 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN 205.52 6 3 video
5 Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG CHN 194.83 5 5 video
6 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN 192.10 4 9 video
7 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV RUS 189.44 7 6 video
8 Julia ANTIPOVA / Nodari MAISURADZE RUS 186.22 8 10 video
9 Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK ITA 184.28 10 7 video
10 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES FRA 183.90 9 8 video

Thanks for posting these!

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Oh my. Finally saw the end of J/C. That looked painful! And his face after she fell like it was her fault. Ugh.

Morgan does have the best butt in pairs skating though so I forgive him.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
:agree:

Hope you are celebrating big in Germany, MaiKatze! :)

Haha, not yet. Watching the ladies live now and pairs later. If you're not watching live you have to decide if you check the results or let yourself be surprised. I just had to know. :) Cat characteristics coming through.

aramina

Rinkside
For anyone curious, I did a check real quick and it looks like at 2015 Worlds China will be the only country with 3 Pairs slots, Russia and Canada are both going to go down to 2 slots each, with Germany, Italy, France, and the USA doing well enough to maintain their two slots. It will definitely be nice to see China go back to 3 slots, I'm hoping we get even more good pair teams from them, I have fond memories of the 2010 Olympics when they were fantastic in the Pairs competition.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For anyone curious, I did a check real quick and it looks like at 2015 Worlds China will be the only country with 3 Pairs slots, Russia and Canada are both going to go down to 2 slots each, with Germany, Italy, France, and the USA doing well enough to maintain their two slots. It will definitely be nice to see China go back to 3 slots, I'm hoping we get even more good pair teams from them, I have fond memories of the 2010 Olympics when they were fantastic in the Pairs competition.

Russia is 2+7 = 9 < 13 for 3 spots.
Canada with 3+4 = 7 < 13 for 3 spots.

According to my calculations:
3 spots: China, Russia and Canada
2 spots: Germany (missed 3 by one spot!); Italy; France and U.S.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I just looked at S/S again and that level 1 for the twist may've been well deserved. Definitely no full split there. Other elements I'm not 100% on, but I'm no judge. If no one but B/L got level 3s then probably they deserve the level 1s.

I love arguing over stuff that doesn't affect the placements. :)

I'm disgusted that throw 3Salchow didn't get full 3s though. That was definitely as good if not better than any throw 3S V/T did. (Yeah, disgusted is hyperbole.)

aramina

Rinkside
Russia is 2+7 = 9 < 13 for 3 spots.
Canada with 3+4 = 7 < 13 for 3 spots.

According to my calculations:
3 spots: China, Russia and Canada
2 spots: Germany (missed 3 by one spot!); Italy; France and U.S.

Oh my bad, You're completely right, I had misremembered the rules!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Huh???? russia and Canada I think are in a better position than China for three spots.