Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split | Page 113 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov Split

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9gzL72lOLw
S/K on show today( i posted Davankova/Enbert-they were great- and Zabiako/Larionov in another thread)

not bad at all for the 1st skate together after a month of training. She, for sure, looks better with Nikita. For him, not that sure, Elena still would be my choice...
As a dancer myself, something bothers me when Victoria skates. I am not sure what it is, either I want her to open shoulders more or to show more of her neck or maybe she could work more gracefully with her arms. Don't know how to explain it, but something about her upper body feels stiff.

uhh

Medalist
:unsure: I kept seeing parts of I/K's Swan Lake choreo - at 0:29, 0:54, the end is from I/K's Someone Like You ex... they aren't even trying. The lines are nice in the section when they are apart though... but I think it would have been better to wait and present something more original when they had found their own style. This is just a mush of what V/M used to do with flashes of I/K, and that doesn't help when everyone has been saying that Victoria needs to bring more personality of her own to the ice.

The 2nd lift was a mess going up and the 3rd a mess coming down, looks like the concerns people had about Nikita's ability to lift her without putting on more muscle might have been right. But then again, it's only been 2 months, there's lots of time before the start of the season.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9gzL72lOLw S/K on show today not bad at all for the 1st skate together after a month of training. She, for sure, looks better with Nikita. For him, not that sure, Elena still would be my choice... As a dancer myself, something bothers me when Victoria skates. I am not sure what it is, either I want her to open shoulders more or to show more of her neck or maybe she could work more gracefully with her arms. Don't know how to explain it, but something about her upper body feels stiff.

I agree. They look ok but she lacks extension in her upper body. It's only been a month but compared to Elena, S/K do not have the same eye popping chemistry. Elena was definitely the larger than life force in I/K. Personally I think Ruslan made out better.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I agree. They look ok but she lacks extension in her upper body. It's only been a month but compared to Elena, S/K do not have the same eye popping chemistry. Elena was definitely the larger than life force in I/K. Personally I think Ruslan made out better.
Yeah, i do too. I loved I/K, something was extremely exciting about them. Now i now what: Elena. She just catches your eye. You cannot stop watching her. In S/Z Victoria was beauty on her own, but as far as performance wise Ruslan was better. Ruslan+Elena will be(really hope) just amazing! And it was right not to open all the cards today on the show, let them train for now)

MsLiinaLii Thank you so much for finding and sharing the video with us!! :) I sincerely appreciate it.

Personally, I think they look nice together. :) She still has some work to do, but that's fine bc Nikita also has work to do.

That being said, I don't feel like it's easy to really get a good idea about how well a team will do competitively from an exhibition piece. I think that there are a lot of ice dance teams where I enjoy their exhibitions a lot, but then when it comes to their SD and FD they don't have the goods (technicality, consistency, etc.) to do really well. Let's face it, major areas of concern like twizzles and other footwork sequences can't be judged from this piece. I'm very excited to finally get to see them skate together; and I am super interested to see what they come up with this next season, but at this point I think it's too early to say how good they have the potential to be.

On a different note, uhh, I agree. I see a lot of similarities as well...which if I were them, I would want to get away from as fast as possible because people will already be comparing - why make it easier for them to compare? I hope that they find their own style instead of trying to merge their two former styles...

Alba

Record Breaker
:unsure: I kept seeing parts of I/K's Swan Lake choreo - at 0:29, 0:54, the end is from I/K's Someone Like You ex... they aren't even trying. The lines are nice in the section when they are aprt though... but I think it would have been better to wait and present something more original when they had found their own style. This is just a mush of what V/M used to do with flashes of I/K, and that doesn't help when everyone has been saying that Victoria needs to bring more personality of her own to the ice.

The 2nd lift was a mess going up and the 3rd a mess coming down, looks like the concerns people had about Nikita's ability to lift her without putting on more muscle might have been right. But then again, it's only been 2 months, there's lots of time before the start of the season.

It's too early for a new couple to have their own style. It will need more time, a year at least. This goes for I&Z as well.

On a different note, uhh, I agree. I see a lot of similarities as well...which if I were them, I would want to get away from as fast as possible because people will already be comparing - why make it easier for them to compare? I hope that they find their own style instead of trying to merge their two former styles...

You have a point there. :thumbsup: Anyway, it's too early to tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9gzL72lOLw
S/K on show today

not bad at all for the 1st skate together after a month of training. She, for sure, looks better with Nikita. For him, not that sure, Elena still would be my choice...
As a dancer myself, something bothers me when Victoria skates. I am not sure what it is, either I want her to open shoulders more or to show more of her neck or maybe she could work more gracefully with her arms. Don't know how to explain it, but something about her upper body feels stiff.

The problem I have with her is that she looks cold and distant. That's the feeling I have and the impression she leaves me when she's skating.
I'm talking when she was skating with Ruslan because now with Nikita I need to see more from them in order to have an opinion.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
The problem I have with her is that she looks cold and distant. That's the feeling I have and the impression she leaves me when she's skating.
I'm talking when she was skating with Ruslan because now with Nikita I need to see more from them in order to have an opinion.
Yes, I agree. I think I wrote before that she needs express the emotions better. This being said,when I watched worlds videos, her facial expression were fine, that is why I am trying to find the reason why it can be so. Right now, I think it is the upper body movement and arms. Look at Elena's arms, they are exquisite!

bramweld

Record Breaker
I thought it was lovely, reminded me of V/M and P/I nice on the lines. They are just beginning and it shows i.e. speed etc; but they are very lyrical, soft gentle. I sort of felt that they would be given this route given their look. Good, so nice excited to see I/Z. (Now I really appreciate Elena's very soft knees and speed). I have a feeling I/Z will be more unusual.

elif

Medalist
Not bad after a month but you can see how Zoueva exaggerate their potential. This program was not even technically demanding -like all gala programs- but everyone can see they are not fastest in the world, actually not even close. I can see a lot of Black Swan moments in this program, add a bland music in there. :scowl:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Yeah, i do too. I loved I/K, something was extremely exciting about them. Now i now what: Elena. She just catches your eye. You cannot stop watching her. In S/Z Victoria was beauty on her own, but as far as performance wise Ruslan was better. Ruslan+Elena will be(really hope) just amazing! And it was right not to open all the cards today on the show, let them train for now)

They have the Summer to work on the elements. It will be interesting to see how they make out once the competitive season starts. Victoria is definitely a looker, really beautiful but I don't think she emotes well. I felt that was when she skated with Ruslan. I don't feel like she puts a connection out to her partner or the audience. Time will tell. I definitely think it's wise for I/Z to just straight train and unveil their programs competitively. I don't feel like this performance did any favors for S/K, especially when there are choreographic similarities to I/K programs.

Alba

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree. I think I wrote before that she needs express the emotions better. This being said,when I watched worlds videos, her facial expression were fine, that is why I am trying to find the reason why it can be so. Right now, I think it is the upper body movement and arms. Look at Elena's arms, they are exquisite!

No but I agree with you. It's not her facial expression that I'm talking about. It's her body movement.
It's the expression through her body that I have a problem with, not her face.

Alba

Record Breaker
I don't feel like this performance did any favors for S/K, especially when there are choreographic similarities to I/K programs.

And especially after all the hype that Zueva created around them.
elif is right. This program is not at all technically demanding (like all gala programs, so fair enough) but where is the "fastest in the world" here, in their blue eyes? :rolleye:

Alba

Record Breaker
I thought it was lovely, reminded me of V/M and P/I nice on the lines.

Oh no please. :disapp:
V&M are in the league of their own, :bow:, and nothing in this couple can remind me of them. Nothing, but that's just me.

Who's P&I? :think:

Meoima

Match Penalty
No but I agree with you. It's not her facial expression that I'm talking about. It's her body movement.
It's the expression through her body that I have a problem with, not her face.
True, I can't see her face from that camera view but her body looks a bit stiff to me. Both of them look awkward and the lifts were not please looking. Considering it's just a short time so I will try to spare them this time.
But...
WHERE IS THE FASTEST TEAM IN THE WORLD? :popcorn:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
And especially after all the hype that Zueva created around them. elif is right. This program is not at all technically demanding (like all gala programs, so fair enough) but where is the "fastest in the world" here, in their blue eyes? :rolleye:

I think Marina shot herself in the foot on this one. I say this because Marina can do wonderful things with choreography but she is not the technician Igor was. With the obvious lack of upper body extension on Victoria and the technical issues that Nikita seems to suffer from, I wonder if she was the wisest coaching choice.

elif

Medalist
Who's P&I? :think:

Paul and Islam.

They have the Summer to work on the elements. It will be interesting to see how they make out once the competitive season starts. Victoria is definitely a looker, really beautiful but I don't think she emotes well. I felt that was when she skated with Ruslan. I don't feel like she puts a connection out to her partner or the audience. Time will tell. I definitely think it's wise for I/Z to just straight train and unveil their programs competitively. I don't feel like this performance did any favors for S/K, especially when there are choreographic similarities to I/K programs.

No connection to music or each other dd not help too.

I really missed Virtue/Moir and I don't even like when they skate romantic stuff. :cry:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Paul and Islam. No connection to music or each other dd not help too. I really missed Virtue/Moir and I don't like even when they skate romantic stuff. :cry:

The connection makes me shake my head. I really hope this wasn't my girlfriend and I should skate together. Just because people make a good couple off the ice doesn't mean they will make one on the ice.

uhh

Medalist
I do agree with everyone saying it was nice, they don't look bad together or anything... but it was safe, and yes it reminded me of V/M, and I/K and a little bit of P/I (Paul/Islam for Alba :) ) and I don't think that does them any favours. I can't think of a team that gets to be at the top of the world by aping what other people have done, without having their own distinct style. And it's very early for them to be able to develop it, but then I don't understand why it was necessary to do this show so early, especially after Marina had talked them up so much. It just leaves you "thinking is that it"? The similarities with I/K are the biggest problem for me, because then I just compare Victoria with Elena, and she is not on Elena's level. The problem is, I can't see them doing anything but this - Marina is not good at thinking outside the box choreographically, you just have to look at what she's done for the Shibs to see that, and in all her senior career I haven't seen anything from Victoria to make me think she can really express a range of emotions. V/M were known for their young love programs like this one, but they were still convincing in their Latin & Carmen programs which had a completely different feel.

I hope I/Z take their time before performing in public so they can wow everyone from the off. There is no need to rush to get something out before you are really ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.