Cheers to the Japanese Crowds! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Cheers to the Japanese Crowds!

cooper

Medalist
Scared much? The best way to deal with truth is to tell it's a lie. How typical for Yuna fans. Everything what is not flattering for her is a lie. Judges who don't make her 1st are cheaters. Her boyfriend is a Monsieur Alfonse looking for her money. How dared she choose a boyfriend without her fans' approval! :laugh: NHK that showed a Korean flag on Mao's banner faked it all. Other skaters's fans are bots. Etc. :rofl:

I want Yuna to compete in 2018. The world will see again how her country treat her- as a great display of Korean nationalism, a thing, a possession that belongs to the country, they call it national treasure. With her banners putting on all other skaters' banners, crowds cheering hangug whenever anyone skates. Sochi will look like toddlers with mommy's milk on lips. :p

Such a beautiful thread. Great thanks to Japanese crowds. Not a surprise that Yuna fans got jealous and dragged her majesty here as well. No thread without YUNA! :popcorn:

wait... http://media0.giphy.com/media/LhV9LprOEnrIA/200_s.gif

:laugh:

nguyhm

On the Ice
One thing I noticed and admired was the way Mao and the Japanese skaters in general bowed to the crowd as a way of showing appreciation and being grateful. I also appreciate non-japanese skaters who made an effort to do the same to the audience, Ashley Wagner was one of them and hats off to her. I'm sure there were others and I think that it was such great gesture. Japanese audience rocks and :thumbsup: to all skaters who reciprocate the excitement and appreciation.

anyanka

Record Breaker
One thing I noticed and admired was the way Mao and the Japanese skaters in general bowed to the crowd as a way of showing appreciation and being grateful. I also appreciate non-japanese skaters who made an effort to do the same to the audience, Ashley Wagner was one of them and hats off to her. I'm sure there were others and I think that it was such great gesture. Japanese audience rocks and :thumbsup: to all skaters who reciprocate the excitement and appreciation.

As did Fabian Bourzat, who bowed with his hands in prayer at the end of the FS, to all four sides of the arena.

TMC

Record Breaker
I will never forget Shen/Zhao's rousing ovation at 2003 Worlds in Washington DC. It was epic!

Oh wow :cry: Thank you so much for that - I'd never seen that program before and just checked it out on Youtube...... and I'm just speechless. Out of this world. Gonna rewatch a thousand times :)

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Japan really is "the Home of Figure Skating." Japanese fans have the perfect mindset for figure skating: knowledge, good manners, and deep-rooted passion for the sport. As one of the most illustrious countries in skating right now they could have easily fallen into the trap of partisanship, but instead you could come from the most insignificant country in the skating world and they will welcome you with open arms. :clap:

It really makes me wish the winter Olys could be held in Japan, though unlikely soon, (since they "just" had Nagano, and with Pyeongchang and Tokyo coming up) but I hope they keep getting big events :)

hiromoru

Spectator
It's not related to …

Your forgot another example of unsportsmanlike cheer in Sochi coming from Yuna fans who put a Korean flag on Mao's banner to cover Mao's face. :disapp: Oh wait, wait! Rules play different for Yuna and her fans. :laugh:

I am a Japanese Mao fan and was very sad when I saw it on TV. However, it is not related to cooper at all.
There is no need to worry cooper about it.

Sorry for my poor English.
Thanks for kudos to the japanese crowd.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome to Golden Skate, hiromoru! Your English is just fine! Post long and often. We need more posters who recognize that it is wrong to blame all fans for the wrong actions of just a few fans.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Wasn't the title of the subject "Cheers to the Japanese Crowd?"
There are far too many bored and frustrated members here compensating.....

The crowd was wonderful in both its number and attitude!
Thank you!!!

TMC

Record Breaker
http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/32712-final-thoughts-from-worlds

"While dining in restaurants, waiting for trains or browsing in stores, I was constantly struck by how many times figure skating came up in the conversations of those around me. It was quite a strange yet lovely experience to be in a place where Mao Asada's triple Axel or Yuzuru Hanyu's quad were everyday topics for young and old alike."

Brb, booking a Japanese class & one-way ticket to Tokyo......

deedee1

Record Breaker
Agreed. That Ru-ssi-a cheer was the most annoying thing ever.

The Japanese are a modicum of humility, class, and being amazing fans. They cheered at the appropriate moments, genuinely felt for skaters when they made errors, and were very supportive in general. Even for So Youn's I saw a couple people standing, which I certainly would have done myself, even if she weren't popular or a favourite. Certainly for Anna's they were appreciative.

Oh, yes. My husband and I were two of such people, actually. :) So Youn Park skated just brilliantly there. So Youn has become one of 'must-watch-out-in-future-competitions' skaters at this year's Worlds, for both of us officially. :yes: So has Hae Jin Kim. Korea has a bright future, I think!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
deedee, can you answer a question for me? If you sit, say under the roof in the Saitama Super Arena and your favourite skater finishes the program, is it possible to reach the lower stands fast enough to throw your presents and flowers on the ice? I have a hard time imagining this!

anyanka

Record Breaker
deedee, can you answer a question for me? If you sit, say under the roof in the Saitama Super Arena and your favourite skater finishes the program, is it possible to reach the lower stands fast enough to throw your presents and flowers on the ice? I have a hard time imagining this!

I imagine there is a queue and they brief people to line up in designated spots. I did note the lines to throw flowers up and down the aisles and across were extremely efficient. It looked like rush hour in Tokyo!

deedee1

Record Breaker

Where I sat with my hubby for four days was exactly 'under the roof'; called the level 4 meaning 4 floors up from the rink (fyi, our closest seats to the ceiling was on DAY 4 (only 2 rows behind us to the complete ceiling! ;)) So, my answer is 'no way!', MaiKatze. It probably would have taken me FOREVER if I had wanted to go down three levels/floors down to throw a flower or present to the rink, while literally crawling thru thousands of people, like rush hour in Tokyo as anyanka perfectly describes. Your imagination is just correct, on this one. :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I thought so, thanks for answering. Too bad if you have presents for your favourite skater and are that high up!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/32712-final-thoughts-from-worlds

"While dining in restaurants, waiting for trains or browsing in stores, I was constantly struck by how many times figure skating came up in the conversations of those around me. It was quite a strange yet lovely experience to be in a place where Mao Asada's triple Axel or Yuzuru Hanyu's quad were everyday topics for young and old alike."

Brb, booking a Japanese class & one-way ticket to Tokyo......

I went to Japan a few years ago (2 weeks before the tsunami, coincidentally), and on a weekend trip to Kyoto, I had a lovely chat with two of the girls from the ryuokan I was staying at. They were positively giddy when I mentioned Mao and Daisuke... and we chatted (as well as we could). I was one of my favourite moments, to chat figure skating with people from a completely different country. And they love Canadian skaters too! :biggrin:

The Japanese in general are a reverent, polite people, and partisanship doesn't come into play for their competitions and they respect the efforts of all athletes. All other nations could really take a page from their books.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Where I sat with my hubby for four days was exactly 'under the roof'; called the level 4 meaning 4 floors up from the rink (fyi, our closest seats to the ceiling was on DAY 4 (only 2 rows behind us to the complete ceiling! ;)) So, my answer is 'no way!', MaiKatze. It probably would have taken me FOREVER if I had wanted to go down three levels/floors down to throw a flower or present to the rink, while literally crawling thru thousands of people, like rush hour in Tokyo as anyanka perfectly describes. Your imagination is just correct, on this one. :laugh:

Thanks for the recap! I've never been to a worlds but given it was in Japan and watching how the crowd moved like a well-oiled imagination, I just thought of logistics. Heck, if I got that maybe I should go work one of these events in operations and crowd control. :p

mary01

Final Flight
Cheers for the Japanese crowd not just for supporting all skaters, but also for always filling the arena the way the do, it's really hard to spot a single seat that's empty. I also appreciate the way they always give a standing ovation when they see a fantastic skate.