Cheers to the Japanese Crowds! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Cheers to the Japanese Crowds!

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
AND there is such overt warmth being shown to skaters who have indicated that they will be retiring after this season finale event. Further evidence of a decent and knowledgeable crowd. It is what ALL of the athletes deserve. Embarrassing to not see even shades of this at an event on the level of the Olympic Games

r1kubu

Rinkside
In Japan, "BAD" manners of japanese figure skating fans are hot topic right now!
Triggerd by women who shouted "Yuzu Aishiteru~~!!(I Love Yooooou!!)" just immediately before Hanyu began to skate his SP.
Media and people say figure skaters are athletes not pop idols. I also agree.
So thanks for your appreciation but we are still learning.

BusyMom

Medalist
In Japan, "BAD" manners of japanese figure skating fans are hot topic right now!
Triggerd by women who shouted "Yuzu Aishiteru~~!!(I Love Yooooou!!)" just immediately before Hanyu began to skate his SP.
This is what make Japanese Unique. They are big on the manner perspectives. One mishap from an eager audience is not a big deal, especially compare to the recent OG. You guys are the best as it is. Don't worry about it.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
And that never happened for Daisuke? But then the aunties are maybe more reserved than the young fangirls, haha. I like that they are enthusiastic but it shouldn't impact the concentration. It was great how that worked for Mao.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker

Not a sin at all in the over-all scheme of things, and Yuzuru did say the "shoutout" didn't affect his concentration. If you say you are still learning, many have to learn a lot from you. Kudos :)

auser

Record Breaker
I love you Japan. I love the warmth, hospitality and appreciative nature of your figure skating fans. Thank you for lifting my heart during this World Championships.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Still you guys are the best fans ever! Don't worry about that!

TMC

Record Breaker
I am so thankful for the Japanese crowd.

Funny how the number of clean skates have also been significantly higher than Sochi, too. Obviously there was Olympic pressure, but you can't help but wonder if a supportive crowd brings out the best in skaters (captain obvious says yes).

Nice to see a crowd who lauds the skating before they laud the placements.

I'd put the number of clean skates down to two influences: 1) A day's rest between skates, and 2) A glorious audience.

Which one matters more depends on the skater I'm sure, but in my opinion number 1 is absolutely essential in future comps if we want to avoid splatfests

TMC

Record Breaker
Oh and the Japanese audiences are partly to thank for Caro's amazing performance (bold added by me):

"Performing to “Ave Maria”, Kostner hit a triple flip-triple toeloop, a triple loop, double Axel and picked up a level four for two spins and the footwork. The 2012 World Champion earned 77.24 points. “This afternoon I felt much more nervous than in Sochi. I kept asking myself why. I think I was not sure if I was able to skate one more time with such a freedom, but then I kept on thinking about the Japanese audience, they have been waiting since 2011 to have this world championship here, so for me it felt almost an honor to skate and go on the ice and skate, and I felt the appreciation of the people. I calmed down and to remember what is important in skating (is) not just to think about the jumps and other elements, but to create something together”, the Olympic bronze medalist told the post event press conference."

http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...world-figure-skating-championships-2014-day-2

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'd put the number of clean skates down to two influences: 1) A day's rest between skates, and 2) A glorious audience.

Which one matters more depends on the skater I'm sure, but in my opinion number 1 is absolutely essential in future comps if we want to avoid splatfests

And not to mention the team event which took place BEFORE all the individual events. Why didn't they put it last? Whose idea was that? Speedy, I suppose? He was not a skaters so he wanted to punished them all, huh?

TMC

Record Breaker
3rd in a row, sorry :D

I felt such an overpowering need to tell the Japanese how awesome they are I just went and tweeted this:

"HUGE thank you to the entire audience @ #Worlds2014 in #Saitama Japan for making the event special after Sochi gloom #BestCrowd #StandingO"

I have a problem keeping my appreciation to myself when something is absolutely top-notch perfect :biggrin:

TMC

Record Breaker
And not to mention the team event which took place BEFORE all the individual events. Why didn't they put it last? Whose idea was that? Speedy, I suppose? He was not a skaters so he wanted to punished them all, huh?

We totally need a Change.org petition against Speedy & his French heir apparent...

ovaskater

Rinkside
I have to agree, while I am Russian (though American born) I felt like the Sochi crowd wasn't friendly. I know countless athletes have talked about loving the crowd in japan. I know Jason Brown has tweeted about past events, and all the support he received. I know the athletes appreciate the support and so do I! :agree:

anyanka

Record Breaker
People wear the masks in Japan if they have a cold so they don't infect other people. Very considerate :) Also, people wear the masks if they have allergies. Allergy season has begun here in Tokyo.

They wear them in Hong Kong, China and Taiwan too. Also in parts of Canada where there is a big ethnic Chinese population (mainly Vancouver / Toronto).

lavender

Record Breaker
I wanted to log in just to say how much I appreciate Japan. My heart broke for the skaters in Sochi but it has made me appreciate the other countries that have hosted the Olympics/Worlds even more.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Extreme Russia haters can't even accept russian crowds cheering loudly for Russians but treating all other skaters with total respect.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I think that the atmosphere is less tension-filled than the Olympics, since the Olympic medals aren't at stake. This probably affects the audience as well as the skaters. Notice how everyone is really enjoying themselves? I include the athletes too, which is why the quality / level of performance seems to be higher so far than what we've seen in Sochi, and there is less pressure. But that's just the nature of a worlds immediately following an Olympics (e.g. Calgary after Torino, Torino after Vancouver). (But now that I've said it, perhaps the free dance and ladies final become splat-fests. Don't blame me if I jinx it!)