Please don't retire, Mao and Carolina! | Golden Skate

Please don't retire, Mao and Carolina!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Both skated so well today. Carolina has such an ease about her and her focus on the performance, rather than the result, has led to some of her best skating ever. Mao is also skating better than ever; her Sochi LP was so shocking because I didn't even think she could skate that well in practice! Her new WR was so impressive today and I'd love for her to be the first skater to top 80 points in the SP, perhaps by including a 3-3 at some point in the future. If they retire there will be such a huge void.

After watching these champions skate, the idea of Gracie and Julia dominating the next quad is depressing.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I have a feeling that both may continue once they have gone away for a few months. They are both still the top two around.
Mao has unfinished business at the Olympics too.

Suzzie

Rinkside
yes please.
they both were so perfect today. they are top skaters. they can skate few seasons, I believe. and Mao can fight for Olympic gold 2018 for sure.

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
yes, especially carolina.

this is the best she has ever skated and she's finally skating with ease and confidence- it would be a shame if she retired this year.

i want to see more beautiful programs from carolina. they're the best!

Becki

Medalist
I think Carolina will probably still for a one or two max if her heart is in it.

Mao might go on and off until the next Olympics. Either way, I hope she stays. She's wonderful to watch!

tana

Match Penalty
I'd love too if both can continue... However, they're not getting any younger and it must be quite tough on their body as time goes. Whatever they may decide, I support their decision. After all, fans exist for them, not the other way around.

Meoima

Match Penalty
They could retire and move on to ice shows, we can still enjoy their performance at ice show.

noskates

Record Breaker
I won't miss Carolina but would miss Mao. I think she was lovely today and seemed to be enjoying skating so much more than she did at the Olys. I dont' know that I've ever seen her smile so much.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Caro's already come and gone, she had that period in 2012 where she contemplated retirement and then took it slowly the following season. Mao has competed non-stop, even with her mom's death she only missed the GPF, and has been carrying the hopes of her country for nearly a decade.

I'd love for them to continue as they seem to have only become better, but I think it'll be lovely if both got some rest and took time away for themselves. They've given so much to their nations, the sport and their fans that we can't expect too much more from them. They have made their fortunes from their sport, Mao especially being the most popular athlete in the entire country, and wouldn't remain in competition for monetary gain, plus their participation in ice shows would be lucrative.

That being said, part of me wonders if Mao would go away for two years and then try a Kim-style comeback for 2018 by suddenly popping up at NRW 2016 and killing it at 2017 worlds ;)

Let's give Gracie some time to develop, she's not my fave at the moment but she has vastly improved under Frank Carroll. I think Julia will have another growth spurt and her body will adjust again. Plus, I love Julia's competitive spirit, I haven't seen that kind of pure unmasked hunger in a competitive skater in a long time. If she were to translate that into big jumps, she *could* be unstoppable.

raress

On the Ice
Carolina said in a recent interview that she is not thinking about retirement yet,because her love for skating is to big and she loves training very much,so hope we can still see 1 or 2 more seasons from her!:)

BusyMom

Medalist
Yes, please stay. The future of Lady Figure Skating needs both of them to push NKOTBs to develop their artistic and SS. The jumping beans and frantic footwork are so not impressive.

I haven't been a big fan of Carol. But after I saw this year's Opera on Ice, I fell in love with herskating. I cracked up so much when I read the news article talking about the Monaco princess and her superb 3A, plus mention Carol as her skating partner.

For Mao, I hope after her Sochi FS and today SP, she has relight her fire to stay.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Carolina said in a recent interview that she is not thinking about retirement yet,because her love for skating is to big and she loves training very much,so hope we can still see 1 or 2 more seasons from her!:)
REALLY??!! :yay::love: Please post the link! :bow:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
It's sad that Carolina is probably retiring right when she found a way to enjoy skating without all the pressure and the expectations. Her skating has a sense of freedom now that is pure and fresh. It is so rewarding watching her skate nowadays. I never thought I would see Caro entering the jumps with a big smile on her face like she did at Sochi. I want her to continue as long as she feels happy doing it.
As for Mao, I have mixed feelings, I want her to continue but on the other hand she skated non-stop for so many years and so many things happened to her, I think she needs at least a break. I would hate it if she would go on just because of the expectations around her if her heart is not there 100%.
Whatever these 2 ladies decide, I must agree that figure skating without them will be sad for a while. These two are my favorite skaters since forever and no other lady skater managed to come even close to them in my book (I mean the ones currently competing)

JayW

Final Flight
I bet Mao won't retire, she will chase the elusive Olym gold.
Caro is just happy at the moment. I wish she could stay as long as her heart tells her so.

usethis2

Medalist
It's sad that Carolina is probably retiring right when she found a way to enjoy skating without all the pressure and the expectations. Her skating has a sense of freedom now that is pure and fresh. It is so rewarding watching her skate nowadays. I never thought I would see Caro entering the jumps with a big smile on her face like she did at Sochi. I want her to continue as long as she feels happy doing it.
Tell me about it. My first real encounter with Carolina was 2009 world..

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Both skated so well today. Carolina has such an ease about her and her focus on the performance, rather than the result, has led to some of her best skating ever. Mao is also skating better than ever; her Sochi LP was so shocking because I didn't even think she could skate that well in practice! Her new WR was so impressive today and I'd love for her to be the first skater to top 80 points in the SP, perhaps by including a 3-3 at some point in the future. If they retire there will be such a huge void.

After watching these champions skate, the idea of Gracie and Julia dominating the next quad is depressing.

CArolina has been around too long and I would like to see her leave on top; she has never been consistent and we will see if she can skate the long program but iti s kind of like P and B who by waiting around (okay a bit of luck too may end up with a world title. But there is a time in life to move on and at least with Carolina the time seems to be now. She is on top and skating well but in time maybe the juges won't hold up her pcs her transtions and choreography are reather simple and at some point the judges might see that.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'd love too if both can continue... However, they're not getting any younger and it must be quite tough on their body as time goes. Whatever they may decide, I support their decision. After all, fans exist for them, not the other way around.

Good point. But Carolina has been lucky so far I would hat to see her push her luck and fade out medocre.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Not trying to be a downer because I love Caro but that could be taken out of context. For example if someone asked her this "how do you prepare for WC's knowing this is your last skate ever?" then maybe she would say she is enjoying skating to much to think about retirement. I hope I'm wrong but I really think both are done and it might be in their best interest to explore life outside of the rink. I for one hope Yulia is done by the time she is 23. She could skate three Olympics and then go to college as a veterinarian which I believe is still one of her goals.