2014 Worlds - Ladies Free Skating | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Ladies Free Skating

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I think theses results are really due to overeaction to the Olympics fiasco. Tech panel didn't do their job at Sochi so they were making calls left and right here. They made sure the Japanese girls couldn't be accused of getting home ice inflation. Also most people agree that Carolina deserved higher than bronze at the Olympics, so they propped her up here. I kind of feel like she was rewarded for never questioning the results and actually showing up at Worlds plus everyone seems to love Carolina as a person anyways. The Russians were already gifted an OGM so Anna was not making the podium.

ahy

Final Flight
LOL. No I'm not, and also, just saying in my ideal world, she would have won gold. She was the only one to give a full clean performance that actually captured my attention. Everyone else was so sloppy.

I actually agree and I'm so impressed by her... although the spins level weren't high but she is the only doing a clean program... but with the PCS maybe not gold but top 5

Alba

Record Breaker
the way some on the forum laughed when Gracie fell and was celebrating when she didn't medal is disgusting :disapp:

Italian commentators (Rai Sport tv, not Eurosport Ita), one of those is the coach of Marchei and B&H, start laughing as well.
Many fans were writing on FB about it and got very angry. I hate them and I hate that kind of attitude.
It's such a low thing to do for everyone, let alone an official commentators on pubblic tv.
:disapp::disapp:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I tend to stay quiet about this, but I agree. The music really carried her, and while she is GRACEFUL, she doesn't have the musicality as of now. Wonder what music she'll use next. If they continue to package her so well though, it might not make a difference. I've realized this season just how much the music will affect one's PCS. Inevitable, but a slightly annoying phenomenon

case in point, Carlolina's short and Pogo's Free. Carolina is a lovely skating with great musicality, but if you mute the sound, there really isn't that much choreo going on. Ana on the other hand, had a great skate TCS wise (those jumps though), but the music selection really brought down her PCS. She isn't the most expressive skater, but things probably would have turned out differently if her music had been a bit more palatable

I enjoyed Anna's Mermaid Theme. But I agree in that I see problems on the horizon for Julia in the future, if she stays in "sad girl" comfort zone. German commentator's already predicted she will have it hard in Russia because there are better girls in juniors that are up and coming. (Their quote not mine) I hope Yuzuru and Julia will get better programs next season.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
why would ppl devote time into being bots against a b-rate off-the-podium finisher? most of them are casual skating fans from the general public who are callin a spade a spade

are you Selene ? the Gracie hater
pseudos and multiple accounts are not allowed on the forum

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I tend to stay quiet about this, but I agree. The music really carried her, and while she is GRACEFUL, she doesn't have the musicality as of now. Wonder what music she'll use next. If they continue to package her so well though, it might not make a difference. I've realized this season just how much the music will affect one's PCS. Inevitable, but a slightly annoying phenomenon

case in point, Carlolina's short and Pogo's Free. Carolina is a lovely skating with great musicality, but if you mute the sound, there really isn't that much choreo going on. the Ave Maria sets a great tone and atmosphere, and Caro is able to take advantage of that. Ana on the other hand, had a great skate TCS wise (those jumps though), but the music selection really brought down her PCS. She isn't the most expressive skater, but things probably would have turned out differently if her music had been a bit more palatable

Thoughtful points -- great post.

elee63

Final Flight
I think theses results are really due to overeaction to the Olympics fiasco. Tech panel didn't do their job at Sochi so they were making calls left and right here. They made sure the Japanese girls couldn't be accused of getting home ice inflation. Also most people agree that Carolina deserved higher than bronze at the Olympics, so they propped her up here. I kind of feel like she was rewarded for never questioning the results and actually showing up at Worlds plus everyone seems to love Carolina as a person anyways. The Russians were already gifted an OMG so Anna was not making the podium.

Pog was also skating to the PIRATES... the middle section with the step sequence was unbearable to listen to

jaylee

Medalist
Italian commentators (Rai Sport tv, not Eurosport Ita), one of those is the coach of Marchei and B&H, start laughing as well.
Many fans were writing on FB about it and got very angry. I hate them and I hate that kind of attitude.
It's such a low thing to do for everyone, let alone an official commentators on pubblic tv.

...Especially given the performance that Kostner gave.

andyjo24

Medalist
I actually agree and I'm so impressed by her... although the spins level weren't high but she is the only doing a clean program... but with the PCS maybe not gold but top 5

Of course she's not gold by any means. Fine, I take back the gold comment, but she gave the best performance in my eyes today. So happy that she was able to get 2 spots for Korea without Yu-na's help.

Congratulations Mao on your third Gold!

And as much as I love Kostner, she was so grossly overscored in PCS. More than Asada after a really sloppy performance? How does that make sense?:mad:

elee63

Final Flight

Oh that's disgraceful. The commentators did that live?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

a coach laughing at a skater falling ?
they should be banned or something even taht of Marchei or B/H

they were probably happy Carolina PCS Queen will be on the podium
when Gracie fell

gotoschool

Medalist
I thought Mao said after the Olympics that she was only 50 / 50 on retirement. But, on the Eurosports stream they kept saying her retirement was definite, just like you are all doing here on this forum. Is there some new information I am missing out on? Seems like the Japanese Skating Federation will put a lot of pressure on her to continue with her world record Sp and grace under pressure LP in the Worlds, especially considering the meltdown of most of the other top contenders. She seems like she has really peaked this season, with a Grand Prix, World Championship, world record Sp, stellar Sochi Lp, and a new personal best overall and free-skate score. I get the feeling she will stick around to try and break the Grand Prix Finals championship record because she's tied with Slutskaya with 4 right now and try and win some more World titles. Besides, who else can possibly challenge the Russian young bloods? Without Mao, the Russians look like they will have a complete and justifiable lock on the podium. Even the Russian score inflation at Sochi doesn't change my mind about that. Maybe Edmunds or Gold can squeeze out an occasional bronze.

jcsamex

Rinkside
Part of the reason I love Julia is due to her frowned eyebrows. It makes her looked like a troubled kid, and I can't help myself wanting to hug her.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1) making fun of mao's "engrish"
2) taking a photograph of herself scrunching up her face and squinting her eyes and calling it "asian face"

and worst of all

3) filming a black parking attendant only doing her job to make fun of her on twitter/vine and titling it "sass at ohare" (using the word sass to refer (inappropriately) to an angry black female, how novel!)

Wait...whaaaat? :confused:

TMC

Record Breaker
The problem I have with her is she skates everything in the same mood. I call her Little Miss Forlorn. Unrequited teenage love. Nazi atrocities. All forlorn. All the time. There's no difference. But she's very young. I wonder what she would be like skating to a Latin program. Would that be forlorn too? I wonder...

I agree. I would like to see her try programs like Polinas SP, more light and playful, more suitable for her age

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can someone get Gracie a technical coach so Frank leaves her jumps alone? She doesn't need to retool them like Mao just get them back to what they were.