2014-2015 GP predictions | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GP predictions

ice coverage

Record Breaker

YLFan

Match Penalty
If a host picks a top seed can that top seed refuse.

For example. If Canada picks Yulia. What if she says she would rather go to China.

jace93

On the Ice
don't think so, but why should one refuse? usually when a federation use his host picks rights on top seeder is to help him/her/them, not to harm them... :confused:

FSGMT

Record Breaker

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:eek: It's incredibly late!! We used to discover the assignments around the end of May-beginning of June!

Strategy maybe? Like how federations kept their team event assignments top secret until the last minute -- you know, to ensure that the competition wasn't so predictable. :sarcasm:

Alba

Record Breaker
:eek: It's incredibly late!! We used to discover the assignments around the end of May-beginning of June!

It might have to do with the new proposal at the Congress, about the juniors age.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If a host picks a top seed can that top seed refuse.

For example. If Canada picks Yulia. What if she says she would rather go to China.

Yulia is the top seed. She can name her preferences, which will be honored. I don't see why Skate Canada would want her anyway, since she would be stiff competition for Osmond, who needs a podium placement to boost her standings. Of the top 3 seeds, Gold is probably the most vulnerable.

YLFan

Match Penalty
Attendance and exposure I am thinking. I'm not sure if the field can be made weak enough for Osmond to podium.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Just curious, what are people's predictions for how the events will be doled out between Lipnitskaia, Pogorilaya, and Gold?
Gold obviously for SA, but other than that, I have no idea. Lip or Pogo for RC? Or neither?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Just curious, what are people's predictions for how the events will be doled out between Lipnitskaia, Pogorilaya, and Gold?
Gold obviously for SA, but other than that, I have no idea. Lip or Pogo for RC? Or neither?

I'm hoping:
Lip - CoR, SC
Pog - CoC, TEB
Gold - SA, NHK

Although I'm guessing:
Lip - CoR, NHK (Russia is where she can rely on an easy win, and NHK she can build her popularity in Japan)
Pog - SC, TEB (She'll probably get the rough end of the stick, but she had a good experience in TEB last year, and it's a good idea to present Pogo to NA audiences)
Gold - SA, CoC (USFSA will probably want to give her the greatest chance to make the GPF)

NMURA

Medalist
If a skater has a choice, she shall avoid China because of air pollution. Overall poor performances of last year should be attributed to it. So it's very likely that China will be a leftover. Lipnitskaya has the first choice but Russia seems to be a jinx for her (save for the Team event). The Russian federation may want to give preferences to Sotnikova, in that case Lipnitskaya could be out of it anyway. If she wants to "sweep" GP titles, this year could be the only chance as far as NHK trophy is concerned.

assuming Kostner is not doing GP

Lipnitskaya SC and NHK
Pogorilaya Russia and TEB
Gold SA and China

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Although I'm guessing:
Lip - CoR, NHK (Russia is where she can rely on an easy win, and NHK she can build her popularity in Japan)
Pog - SC, TEB (She'll probably get the rough end of the stick, but she had a good experience in TEB last year, and it's a good idea to present Pogo to NA audiences)
Gold - SA, CoC (USFSA will probably want to give her the greatest chance to make the GPF)

I basically agree with this. No way Gold isn't a host pick at SA. Lipnitskaia will surely choose NHK - she says she likes Japan, building popularity there is important, and Japan has a depleted ladies' field for the 2014-15 GP circuit so no great risk from a host pick there. However, I'm not as sure about Lip at CoR. Will the Russian fed want to pick Sotnikova as a host pick? If they do, could we then see Lip choosing somewhere else, likely TEB? I do agree Anna will go to SC since Lip was there last year and to get herself over to North America.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That isn't how it works. It is NOT true that a skater's federation has true control over where a skater will skate (except for host picks and the top two seeds)

The hosts first get their host picks (of their own skaters). The way it works out this year, USFS and Russia have the most control.
Because USFS always has the reigning US Champ at SA, Gold of the top 3 will get a host pick; possibly Edmunds of the second 3 could get picked also.
Russia could pick Lipnitskaia or Pogo, but not both, as they are in the same tier.

Then the top 3 seeds are allowed to choose where they want to skate. Neither Lipnitskaia nor Pogo can skate at SA because Gold will be there.
If Lipnitskaia didn't get picked for CoR, she gets to choose which two of the remaining events (SC, TEB, CoC, NHK) she wants; if she did get picked for CoR, she chooses one of those four events. If Pogo did/didn't get picked for CoR, she gets to choose whichever event/s Lipnitskaia didn't want. Gold gets the event Lipnitskaia and Pogo didn't want.

Except for one of the US ladies, who could get a host pick, the 4th through 6th seeds are chosen by lot (hosts draw for the order of selection). All the other skaters are selected by the same method. The skater's home federation has no say over where that skater is going to skate (other than the host pick, if available).

flutzy13

On the Ice

I see Yulia getting CoR and NHK.

Assuming kostner is out, I think USFS will pick Park and avoid Gracie facing Ash or Polina. Although Polina v Gracie at SA would be worth the price of the all event tickets alone. The other two ladies US host picks will be interesting. My money is on Cesario and one of Cain and Miller. I wholeheartedly doubt they'll pick Mirai but won't be entirely shocked should Zawadski get a nod or Gao should she continue.

Anyone have guesses for the host picks in other disciplines? I am beyond perplexed with pairs.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I see Yulia getting CoR and NHK.

Assuming kostner is out, I think USFS will pick Park and avoid Gracie facing Ash or Polina. Although Polina v Gracie at SA would be worth the price of the all event tickets alone. The other two ladies US host picks will be interesting. My money is on Cesario and one of Cain and Miller. I wholeheartedly doubt they'll pick Mirai but won't be entirely shocked should Zawadski get a nod or Gao should she continue.

Anyone have guesses for the host picks in other disciplines? I am beyond perplexed with pairs.

Well, honestly, any fed looking to protect their skaters will be gunning to get So Youn Park. I like So Youn, but she's clearly the most unproven seeded skater right now. Since the 4-6 seeds are selected by the host federations, in order according to lot, it will depend if USFSA gets a good selection slot in the draw. I tend to doubt USFSA wants to match Gracie against another seeded US lady, too, but I could be wrong!

I'll take a crazy stab at pairs, which as you'll see is maybe not as perplexing as it seems. Here are the apparent seeds:

Savchenko/Szolkowy (split, he retired, she has new partner)
1. Stolbova/Klimov
2. Duhamel/Radford
Moore-Towers/Moscovitch (split)
3. Peng/Zhang
4. Sui/Han
Bazarova/Larionov (split)
5. Antipova/Maisuradze
Berton/Hotarek (rumored split, still don't know if this was confirmed??)
6. James/Cipres

With Stolbova/Klimov, Duhamel/Radford, and Peng/Zhang as the apparent top seeds, then it could play out something like this:

Stolbova/Klimov likely get CoR as a host pick. Now, if Trankov/Volosozhar are skating the GP (are they??) and get chosen as a Russian host pick and S/K doesn't, then what would S/K choose? That's the big question.
Duhamel/Radford certainly get SC as a host pick.
Peng/Zhang get CoC as a host pick, they are the top Chinese team after retirements.

Given that I'm guessing each of the top 3 seeds ends up at their home fed's event, where do we think each team would want to go for their second event?

Stolbova/Klimov - CoR, NHK? (the big question is which event in addition to CoR would S/K choose? NHK would be my guess, especially as they already did SA last year)
Duhamel/Radford - SC, TEB? (they have done TEB 3 years in a row, would they want to again??? If, as I guess, S/K choose NHK, then it seems like D/R would rather do TEB yet again than do both North American GPs...???)
Peng/Zhang - CoC, Skate America (which is what would be left at that point, given my other guesses?)

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Stolbova/Klimov likely get CoR as a host pick. Now, if Trankov/Volosozhar are skating the GP (are they??) and get chosen as a Russian host pick and S/K doesn't, then what would S/K choose? That's the big question.

Wouldn't matter if Volosozhar/Trankov do CoR - S/K can also get it. S/K can get seeded into CoR, and Volosozhar/Trankov can still get one of the other 2 spots at CoR

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Wouldn't matter if Volosozhar/Trankov do CoR - S/K can also get it. S/K can get seeded into CoR, and Volosozhar/Trankov can still get one of the other 2 spots at CoR

I know. But S/K get to choose their fate to some degree.

If the Russian fed chooses both V/T and S/K as host picks for CoR, it's settled. S/K likely choose NHK as their second event IMO.
If the Russian fed chooses only S/K as host picks for CoR, it's also settled. S/K still likely choose NHK as their second event.
If the Russian fed chooses V/T and not S/K as host picks for CoR, what would S/K do in that situation? That is the weirdest/most interesting scenario to imagine. Would they want to go up against V/T at CoR or avoid them, and do two out of NHK/TEB/SA?