Closest finishes of all time at World Championships and Grand Prix events - COP system | Golden Skate

Closest finishes of all time at World Championships and Grand Prix events - COP system

sowcow

On the Ice
Closest finishes of all time at World Championships and Grand Prix events - COP system

Closest finishes of all time at the World Figure Skating Championships (under the COP judging system)

~~ 2014 World Figure Skating Championships (Saitama, Japan) - DANCE ~~
175.43 - Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE (ITA)
175.41 - Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN)
175.37 - Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT (FRA)
Δ¹˙² = 0.02
Δ²˙³ = 0.04

~~ 2012 World Figure Skating Championships (Nice, France) - PAIRS ~~
201.49 - Aliona Savchenko / Robin Szolkowy (GER)
201.38 - Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov (RUS)
Δ = 0.11

~~ 2014 World Figure Skating Championships (Saitama, Japan) - MEN ~~
282.59 - Yuzuru HANYU (JPN)
282.26 - Tatsuki MACHIDA (JPN)
Δ = 0.33

From memory, I believe the above are the closest finishes ever at the World Figure Skating Championships (under the COP judging system). Am I missing any?

Have there ever been any closer finishes at any of the Grand Prix or other Championship events? Specifically at:
Four Continents
European Championships
Grand Prix Final
Skate America
Skate Canada
Cup of China
NHK Trophy
Trophée Eric Bompard
Rostelecom Cup

:points:

Last edited:

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
i guess this is what happens when the olympic medalists decide to take a vacation instead, i can't believe this is happening across all the disciplines at the SAME world championships

(well up until mao blows everyone away by twenty points later, kNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!)

Meoima

Match Penalty
If I remember correctly, Hanyu won against Javi with a tiny tiny gap in Rostelecom cup a couple of years ago.

pohatta

On the Ice
Another anomaly in the dance competition was that the LP winner didn't get a medal. I don't think that has happened in a major competition since Euros 2009 (Yannick Ponsero).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And never in dance, AFAIR.

When it's this close, it tells you the judges haven't a clue. Really, they should round to +/- 1, since GOE can only be given in those increments. If they rounded, then there would be 3 gold medals, which would be a trip. Would all of them stand on the top step of the podium for the whole medal ceremony? Would all 3 anthems be played?

I'm smiling just picturing it.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
In the GP, for Ladies maybe we should consider this season's Rostelecom Cup, where Carolina lost to Julia because of 0.68

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In twosies, it's been that close. At 2009 Worlds D&W missed the bronze by 0.09 to V&M.

And there was the Weir / Lysacek tie at US Nationals that Lysacek won by tie breakers.

Last edited:

deneb

On the Ice
At 2012 Euros Cappellini-Lanotte missed the bronze by 0.03 to Ilinykh-Katsalapov
At 2013 Euros Bobrova-Soloviev beat Ilinykh-Katsalapov by 0.11
At 2011 GPF Savchenko-Szolkowy and Volosozhar-Trankov divided by 0.18

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I remember Kevin Vad der perren winning Bronze at Europeans twice by about 0.15 each time
I think you mean by less than 0.15 in total - he won by 0.07 over Davydov in 2007 and by 0.06 over Ponsero in 2009; Ponsero won the FS to move up from 9th place after the short.

DelSchoes won 2007 Euros by 0.31 points over DomShabs in an all D/S dance podium.

Miki Ando won 2007 Worlds by 0.64, finishing second in both the SP and the LP, and there was a fifth place tie between Nakano and Kostner (advantage: Nakano); in ice dance, Belbin/Agosto won their bronze by 0.24 points over DelSchoes. One year later, Mao Asada's margin of victory at Worlds was also less than a point, while Khokhlova/Novitski beat out Belbin/Agosto for the bronze by 0.26 points. Laura Lepisto's 2010 Worlds bronze was won by 0.20 points over Miki Ando, and only 1.31 points separated the 3-6th place ladies (Phaneuf and Kostner being the other two).

desertskates

Medalist
Certainly not one of the closest ever, but it is of note: the logjam of the 5th through 7th place ladies at the Saitama Worlds. Only 1.42 points separated the three.

5 Gracie GOLD
USA
194.58 5 7
6 Akiko SUZUKI
JPN
193.72 4 8
7 Ashley WAGNER
USA
193.16 7 4

Has to be frustrating knowing that one tiny mistake could have made a big difference in placement.