Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And she had fun doing it!!!! I love the weird robot like step sequence and when she stops and goes back into the original music she completely sells it. Loved the robot arm bow she did :laugh:

starlight97

Final Flight
Very nice!
She really has a thing for jumping with her arm aloft, hasn't she? Really suits her, and of course, every point more or less counts.

uhh

Medalist
Very nice!
She really has a thing for jumping with her arm aloft, hasn't she? Really suits her, and of course, every point more or less counts.

Serafima taught her how to do it, they are very close friends & now in the same training group.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Serafima taught her how to do it, they are very close friends & now in the same training group.

That's funny actually considering Medvedeva actually does it better in terms of stability. :p It's nice to hear of skaters getting along, especially when they're both in direct competition and are such beautiful skaters. :love: Maybe being in Medvedeva's group has taught Serafima to land more upright? JGPF this year is going to be fun!

Loved the individual parts of Medvedeva's program but I don't think they quite fit right as a whole. Her SP is superior in my opinion, even if it isn't as fun. ;)

starlight97

Final Flight

Oh so Serafima is also with Eteri? Nice :)
Yes it's very nice! You'd think that they wouldn't exactly 'share' their abilities with the others, especially since that arm aloft jumping upgrades Evgenia's points and, like you said, they are direct competitors.

Alba

Record Breaker
And she had fun doing it!!!! I love the weird robot like step sequence and when she stops and goes back into the original music she completely sells it. Loved the robot arm bow she did :laugh:

About her FS in her interview: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...mmer-to-autumn-2014.92797/page-8#post-4314382

The free is very original. It is about a girl and her dream. It's a very good and proper girl, she does everything as she is told. But she wants to show another side of herself, even if just in a dream, to be bold and daring. It's in my program. Soft and fluid movements are replaced by jerky motions with broken lines, like in contemporary dance. Very unususal and intersting choreography in the middle. And in the end it disappears, the demon turns back into an angel sleeping quietly during the summer night. I am not going to tell all the secrets, but I'm preparing a surprise.

Both programs are choreographed by Alexander Zhulin.

gotoschool

Medalist
About her FS in her interview: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...mmer-to-autumn-2014.92797/page-8#post-4314382

The free is very original. It is about a girl and her dream. It's a very good and proper girl, she does everything as she is told. But she wants to show another side of herself, even if just in a dream, to be bold and daring. It's in my program. Soft and fluid movements are replaced by jerky motions with broken lines, like in contemporary dance. Very unususal and intersting choreography in the middle. And in the end it disappears, the demon turns back into an angel sleeping quietly during the summer night. I am not going to tell all the secrets, but I'm preparing a surprise.

Both programs are choreographed by Alexander Zhulin.

Thanks for your post Alba. It really helps explain something I was confused about, which was the abrupt change in the middle of her LP program, though she handled the transition quite smoothly. I really like her take on a contemporary style. The most unusual bow I have ever seen to the audience. She plays the role of an endearing robot. I really like Evgeniya and Maria Sotskova, and they are now my favorites among all the Russians. Really impressed with Evgeniya's grace under pressure to skate so cleanly and beautifully when those around her were faltering with mistakes in either the SP or LP or both. Wasn't she the only one to go clean in both? So consistent on the jumps. I think her PCS scores were too low in both programs.

This is what I thought about Evgenia's short program: She skates with natural elegance, genuine expression, with beautifully symmetrical revolutions to her jumps and spins that provide a dynamic because of their rapid acceleration and whip saw motion. I love the way she centers her hand over her head when she jumps delightfully like a ballerina spinning in a toy music box. In addition to her wonderful lines and extensions, her exquisite positions and elegant motions are natural expressions of her soul that are synchronized beautifully to the music. She also has smooth motion and erect posture heading into and out of her jumps and doesn't hunch, with an ethereal, meditative style that draws the attention in slowly, captures it and doesn't let go, instead of flashy gestures busily packed in for a quick, diversionary show. Finally, she puts the viewer at ease because she wears her heart on her sleeve with her authentic cheerfulness.

papa

Match Penalty
Beautiful skater - exquisite and elegant. Amazing SP dress. :love:
Remember reading somewhere in this forum that Evgenia is the least talented Russian junior.
If it's so, I feel sorry for rest of the world. :rolleye::biggrin:

Alba

Record Breaker
Thanks for your post Alba. It really helps explain something I was confused about, which was the abrupt change in the middle of her LP program, though she handled the transition quite smoothly.

Tbh I didn't like the cuts in her FS, and in her SP I didn't see "the thrill of a a love story" that she was trying to express, as she said in her interview. Maybe that's why her PCS were still a bit low.
She's still young though, so I'm not paying too much attention to it, but she needs to work on that.
Gubanova, for example, is way better than her in that aspect and she is much younger.

starlight97

Final Flight
Yes if I hadn't known the backstory to her FS and what it's supposed to mean, I wouldn't have guessed it and just would have been a bit irritated.
But no matter what one thinks about the music and such, the technical content is undeniably great!

Alba

Record Breaker
But no matter what one thinks about the music and such, the technical content is undeniably great!

Absolutely. She has improved a lot her basics this year also. More speed, more smooth, good edges.
I think she and her team knows what to do and are working on it. She is great and reaching the seniors already.
I mean Polina got 66.39 on Tech at Worlds on her FS (126.91 total FS), while Medvedeva 64.91 (118.43 total FS).

shine

Record Breaker
Beautiful skater - exquisite and elegant. Amazing SP dress. :love:
Remember reading somewhere in this forum that Evgenia is the least talented Russian junior.
If it's so, I feel sorry for rest of the world. :rolleye::biggrin:
It's all relative. I'm sure she'd be many countries' number one. But of the four girls that competed in JGP last season, I do still find her to be the least interesting. All the others IMO have more of the "it" factor in someway or the other. The SP this year is quite unmemorable and the LP just...weird. I'm pretty surprised Zhulin was behind it. But there's no denying that she has improved her SS and jumps, and appears to be pretty consistent.

gotoschool

Medalist
Tbh I didn't like the cuts in her FS, and in her SP I didn't see "the thrill of a a love story" that she was trying to express, as she said in her interview. Maybe that's why her PCS were still a bit low.
She's still young though, so I'm not paying too much attention to it, but she needs to work on that.
Gubanova, for example, is way better than her in that aspect and she is much younger.

I guess I'm fortunate that I didn't read any of this back story material before or after I watched Evgeniya's performances because it allowed me to enjoy them directly for their beauty, whimsy and grace. Honestly, I'm glad people have criticized her performance here because in doing so it has made me realize how much I really liked both of them, though I preferred her SP. I may not have gotten the thrill of a love story or a prudent girl's transformation into a robotic dare devil, but I was definitely impressed with some fantastic and consistent skating with no real mistakes. The transformation in the LP was a bit jarring to a sense of continuity, but I am open to a wide range of expression, and I like the way she seemed to humanize the robotic movements even when she was bowing to the audience. I also thought she had smooth rhythmic moves and grace in the step sequences, which to me made the transition more pleasing. It wasn't my favorite at first but in a few seconds I was willing to roll with it and actually got into it.

Honestly, I think she is more musical and a better dancer than Lipnitskaya or Sotnikova which is who I was comparing her to when I watched it. Her rendition of contemporary dance impresses me more than Sotnikova's because I think she is more rhythmic and elegant. Evgeniya is apparently thought to be a "cellar dweller" on the Russian team when to me she seems to be one of the most artistic and emotionally compelling skaters, along with Maria Sotskova.

Maybe Evgeniya isn't as dazzling as Radinova, but she has some kind of emotional resonance, humble elegance in her movements, ethereal and whimsical expression, and gracious charm in her skating and presentation that really appeals to me. She may not be the next queen with the "It" factor, which to me is often overwrought and unapproachable, but just a delight to watch with a wonderful charm.

Honestly, I didn't like Russian skaters that much until I saw Evgeniya's performance in the SP this season. Then, when I looked at youtube through the other Russian juniors, I saw that I also really liked Maria Sotskova's Vivaldi too. So, Evgeniya unexpectedly opened a door that led me to explore which led to a new perception of Russian skaters. For that I am thankful.

I know people are praising her improvement in tech content to over 64, but to me her performances gave me so much more emotionally and artistically, and I didn't understand the low PCS score, other than I noticed she didn't skate that fast. But to me, that doesn't distract from the beauty of her skating.

By the way, does anyone know if Maria will be skating in the Junior Grand Prix because I can't find her name in the first four events?

Alba

Record Breaker
I guess I'm fortunate that I didn't read any of this back story material before or after I watched Evgeniya's performances

I read the interview after, but I thought the same thing before. Just didn't like her music cut in the FS.
Her SP I thought was generic till I read the interview about love.
Just trying to explain why the PCS scores, maybe.

As I said, she is still young. So, plenty of time in her hand to work on that. Not a big deal.

gotoschool

Medalist
I read the interview after, but I thought the same thing before. Just didn't like her music cut in the FS.
Her SP I thought was generic till I read the interview about love.
Just trying to explain why the PCS scores, maybe.

As I said, she is still young. So, plenty of time in her hand to work on that. Not a big deal.

No problem. I understand everyone has their own view. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was just trying to explain why I liked Evgeniya with a little bit of drama. I just have felt a void because Mao is out and Evgeniya has surprisingly helped to fill it, though I am not looking for a replacement but someone unique, which I think she is.

Barb

Record Breaker
I really liked Evgenia´s programs, her blue dress not much, but she is progressing fast. It is very mortifying that only will be 3 spots in Korea with so many talented girls, Adelina, Yulia, Anna, Evgenia, Serafima, Maria, Proklova, etc.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No problem. I understand everyone has their own view. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I was just trying to explain why I liked Evgeniya with a little bit of drama. I just have felt a void because Mao is out and Evgeniya has surprisingly helped to fill it, though I am not looking for a replacement but someone unique, which I think she is.

I think Evgenia has character! I was never that warm to her before but both of her programs this year strike me as new and fresh. I for one felt connected to her a lot more than I expected.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really liked Evgenia´s programs, her blue dress not much, but she is progressing fast. It is very mortifying that only will be 3 spots in Korea with so many talented girls, Adelina, Yulia, Anna, Evgenia, Serafima, Maria, Proklova, etc.

It's going to be the most mortifying for those of us who watch every group and not just the primetime coverage.