Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Team Russia - Promising Young Skaters

Meoima

Match Penalty
A poster in FSU sai Julia Antipova is having serious illness. Not good at all. Hope she will receive the funding and get well soon.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

Alba

Record Breaker
Somehow for me Gubanova in the FS lost the magic she showed in the SP. Her skate was IMO much more junior which one would expect from a 12 year old.

On a funny note, seems like Yagudin sitting next to me in a Sochi lounge.

I don't think she skated much more junior than her age. But since she's still a little girl she might not be able to manage a LP properly.
Besides, I think her LP was not that beautiful for her. Didn't do her justice.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
^^^^^I meant that she skated SP with the artistry of a grown-up skater while during the LP she was still a little girl. But overall, no doubts, she is amazing. And I agree, one should pray that she avoids serious injuries.

Does anyone know how Proklova is doing?

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
A poster in FSU sai Julia Antipova is having serious illness. Not good at all. Hope she will receive the funding and get well soon.

I can't stop thinking about her situation. I'm not sure if I should create a thread in the main forum or not. It is in the news now and I know readers here would wish her well...

sillylionlove

Medalist
I can't stop thinking about her situation. I'm not sure if I should create a thread in the main forum or not. It is in the news now and I know readers here would wish her well...

I would create one. Not everyone will see the news here. Nelli and Alex (the German ice dance team) posted on their Facebook page that she is suffering from anorexia and she needs some serious treatment and has to go to Israel but her family can't afford it. Very sad,

Scott512

Record Breaker
Can't wait for that ice dance entertainment to happen and-

I actually start to think that it's very unfortunate that they all compete for Russia!
In the end Yulia/Adelina/Elena will dominate in MOST events, maybe Pogo also, and even out of these 4 incredible girls there'll always be one or two who can't go to a certain competition!
And these incredible talents like Serafima or Alexandra(her speed and spins are just wow) won't get all the opportunities because they are simply lacking experience in comparison so Yulia or Adelina!
If Adelina would have wanted to go to World's, Anna wouldn't even have got this chance and look how amazing she was!!

What I'm saying is that there are many huge talents that would be the number one skater in other countries, but will be overshadowed and will "drown" in the deep Russian waters :(
Good points. I believe some of the young female Russian skaters may consider switching countries in the next couple of years and I don't blame them. If Adelina keeps skating through 2018 there won't be enough room for all of the top girls.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
Ugh, this news on Julia is so horrible. I hope her situation is not "overlooked" or kept hush-hush. Eating disorders have forever been such a prevalent problem for athletes and dancers, and the most important thing is for her to get support and the help she needs to be healthy. My thoughts are with her.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Good points. I believe some of the young female Russian skaters may consider switching countries in the next couple of years and I don't blame them. If Adelina keeps skating through 2018 there won't be enough room for all of the top girls.

My view is that somehow working around 3-spot only rule is a better option than forcing skaters who are proud of being Russian and are willing to compete for Russia to change their citizenship.

starlight97

Final Flight
My view is that somehow working around 3-spot only rule is a better option than forcing skaters who are proud of being Russian and are willing to compete for Russia to change their citizenship.

Of course. But it's become almost common to switch countries, while it's completely unlikely that the 3-spots-rule will change or ever let all talent shine through.

Adelina, Yulia, Elena, Anna.
Next year these four + Serafima, Evgenia, Maria and Alexandra.

Who of them would you like to see missing out on a competition where they could clearly medal and finish waaaaays higher than 89% of other countries skaters?
Or would you rather see them skate and get the opoetunities they deserve with a different flag being shown on TV ?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I am at loss here. Of course, I want that all of them had a chance to get to the European or the World's podium. On the other hand, the flag matters. Otherwise, they would not impose the 3 spot rule in the first place. And then will their switching the country help the new country to build FS? I doubt - they will just take whatever spots they earn for this country without any likelihood of local follow-up. It is similar to footbal. We had many highly-paid foreign players in Russia. It helped neither our national team nor the sport in general here. And will Sakhanovich and Medvedeva not degenerate leaving Eteri? What about a "swiss skater" Anna Ovcharova? I understand she showed some promise. But her skate during the last worlds was just lamentable.

Next year the "fantastic four" could still sit in juniors "harassing" everybody else. But then I don't know what they will do. What I know is that quite soon the 3 spot rule will be hurting figure skating, namely the ladies' figure skating reducing its quality. May be ISU will do something when the Russian nationals become the most competitive and the highest quality event of the season.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

papa

Match Penalty
My guess is only one or two of the juniors go to seniors next year. Whoever doesn't win Gold at JWC will likely stay junior and try for it again in the following year. Maybe both Evgenia and Serafima go but I'm not sure of it.

From a few years back :)
https://pp.vk.me/c624329/v624329904/1934/SCHbbeUnPXg.jpg
https://pp.vk.me/c540109/c540105/v540105393/1cc2a/RCdUwlESjNU.jpg
https://pp.vk.me/c624329/v624329904/193c/PmLGIOto7fA.jpg
Yulia was smiling much more back then. :eek:hwell:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am at loss here. Of course, I want that all of them had a chance to get to the European or the World's podium. On the other hand, the flag matters. Otherwise, they would not impose the 3 spot rule in the first place. And then will their switching the country help the new country to build FS? I doubt - they will just take whatever spots they earn for this country without any likelihood of local follow-up. It is similar to footbal. We had many highly-paid foreign players in Russia. It helped neither our national team nor the sport in general here. And will Sakhanovich and Medvedeva not degenerate leaving Eteri? What about a "swiss skater" Anna Ovcharova? I understand she showed some promise. But her skate during the last worlds was just lamentable.

Next year the "fantastic four" could still sit in juniors "harassing" everybody else. But then I don't know what they will do. What I know is that quite soon the 3 spot rule will be hurting figure skating, namely the ladies' figure skating reducing its quality. May be ISU will do something when the Russian nationals become the most competitive and the highest quality event of the season.
The thing is they haven't gone through puberty yet. It's undeniable that they are all talented. But until puberty hit them, we can tell nothing for sure.
let's be realistic here, if they survive puberty, they can do anything they want, including skating for other fed, with their talents. ISU will likely not approve any new rule for Russian fed only. It's not their way.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Then I would imagine (just dreaming) that some russian money-bag whose daughter or grand daughter or whoever are mad about FS will found a "real" ladies' world championship with the name, say, "golden cup". It will be either before or just after ISU worlds. Top 24 ladies will be invited irrespective of their country including those who are in the junior circle (Sakhanovich had 191 in Lyublyana - how many senior ladies will go above that this season?). Everything will be paid for (hotels, tickets). In addition the winner will have the money prize worth of 10 kilos gold, second place 5 kilos gold, third place 3 kilos gold. And everybody from 4 through 12 - will receive 1 kilo which is still $40k. I think it will be a good incentive for everybody to show up - seems like no millionnaires left among active skaters. ISU might or might not cooperate. The former case of course is better - they will get some extra ranking points. In the latter case it would be the matter of prestige (competing against the best of the best) and the money.

MalAssada

Medalist
Maybe they could increase the number from 3 to 5, but no more than that IMO. That way there would still be competition to see who goes to Worlds, but less tears.

I really wish little countries would get into skating, but for some there is always the heat problem. Brazil has some awesome roller skaters that I do think would perfom amazingly on ice if they were given the chance. Also, it's such an expensive sport, and some federations aren't willing to take the chance of investing so much for little or no results :cry:

Samkrut, if only... It would sure be an amazing competititon to watch.

Amei

Record Breaker
The thing is they haven't gone through puberty yet. It's undeniable that they are all talented. But until puberty hit them, we can tell nothing for sure.

Except many female skaters are very competitive before they go through 'full puberty'. According to an article on the University of Maryland website, most girls complete puberty by 17 http://umm.edu/health/medical/ency/articles/puberty-and-adolescence

Look at Elena/Julia (2 skaters that started competing at the GP level at 14) and 1 of which went to all the major competitions at 15 (and received some type of medal) - even if at 17 they develop lots of curves and retire that doesn't diminish their accomplishments that they got on the senior circuit.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Except many female skaters are very competitive before they go through 'full puberty'. According to an article on the University of Maryland website, most girls complete puberty by 17 http://umm.edu/health/medical/ency/articles/puberty-and-adolescence
Look at Elena/Julia (2 skaters that started competing at the GP level at 14) and 1 of which went to all the major competitions at 15 (and received some type of medal) - even if at 17 they develop lots of curves and retire that doesn't diminish their accomplishments that they got on the senior circuit.
My point is, the current rule might be against these young ladies. Right now they are 14, next year when they are 15 and goes senior, if their bodies will not change much then I am glad for them. If puberty hit them in that year, it will be harder.
Just image if Tara Lipninski was not allowed to compete in Olympic at the age of 15, she could never made it into the next Olympic when she was 19. The thing is their bodies might change constantly during a certain short time. Look at Mao Asada. She could have been the winner in 2006 but was too young, 4 years later her jumps faltered.
In sport it's like "now or never", especially with FS. We can't use the "we have too many talents here" reason to make ISU change the rule. Because ISU might fire back with "they are children we need some certain limit".
Not to mention, we all know big feds like Russian, USA, Canada, Japan...often get more favor from ISU than smaller feds. Asking for too many favor from them might be too demanding.