Can Ashley Wagner keep up with the New US Ladies | Golden Skate

Can Ashley Wagner keep up with the New US Ladies

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
it appears Wagner with her limited 3-3 just wont cut it for a Worlds medal, the new skaters are capable of 3-3 arsenals
leading the rival of US ladies with Gracie Gold finishing a remarkable 4th place at the Olympics, Polina Edmunds capable of getting good scores. can Wagner hold into as No.3 US lady with new skaters like Karen Chen, Amber Glenn going seniors soon

will Wagner become the American Leonova ?
become stagnant and lose to upcoming crop of new skaters

desertskates

Medalist
Ashley was 4th in the long program at worlds, tops among the US ladies. I believe she has shaken off a few poor showings and is here to stay. Only time will tell.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Well, she's getting on in figure skating years, so it all depends on her health. If she can avoid getting injured, she can keep up with all the other so-so skaters who come in between 4th and 8th at Olympics and Worlds. It's not like she really has much competition.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Ashley was 4th in the long program at worlds, tops among the US ladies. I believe she has shaken off a few poor showings and is here to stay. Only time will tell.

Wagner isn't getting younger, she is in her mid 20's and that will typically worn out most skaters by then
there are young, fresh skaters already climbing on the US ranks aside from Gracie, you now have Polina E, then soon Karen Chen, Amber Glenn,

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ahem Wagner is 22 going on 23 (in May.) That is not mid-20s. If she is mid-20s, that means I'm in my mid-30s. :p

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be honest she still lost to Gracie even with her lackluster mistake filled LP and if Ashley can't get a consistent 3-3 she's not only looking at 6-8 placement at Worlds but the younger US girls will catch up with her. Polina as inexperienced as she is has proven she's a tough cookie and isn't far behind and who know what other girls will crop up in the next year or two.

Selene

On the Ice

She may be able to compete with the American girls, but she will never be able to compete with the Russians. They all have such difficult technical content, and Ashley couldn't rotate a difficult combo if her life depended on it. She tried to add the 3F-3T to her arsenal this season, but by season's end, the effort had failed miserably. She changed her strategy, going for the 2A-3T in her free skate, but was still called for an underrotation.

She should continue if she loves skating, but she is deluding herself if she believes she has a chance to win a world medal. Her technical ability isn't good enough.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I personally don't think she should've gotten a < on her 2A-3T. But that's my opinion.

Like any other athlete, Ashley will have to figure out how to capitalize on her strengths to make up for any deficits she may have in her skating. One thing I like about Ashley is that she's willing to take responsibility for her skating, so one thing is for sure she will make a good effort to stay competitive. I don't think she should give up on the 3F-3T. Jason Brown took three seasons with the 3A and it's still a work in progress, I don't see why Ashley shouldn't keep trying to work on the 3F-3T.

And also the other lesson is nothing is a sure thing. Ashley can't control what her competitors do, she just needs to do what works for her.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She will still be competitive even without 3-3. Had she opted for the 3F-2T in SP instead of going for 3-3, or if Gold wasn't overscored on her PCS, she would have come 5th over Gold.

And she beat a clean Polina, even with errors.

Wagner will likely continue to be a favourite for GP wins and making the GPF. Polina is capable of medaling on the GP and winning Nationals. Karen Chen is a non factor and question mark at this point (see, Junior Worlds).

Gold will continue to push Wagner, but Gold isn't assured to beat Wagner, given her lack of consistency and bombing her FS at Worlds.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
She should continue if she loves skating, but she is deluding herself if she believes she has a chance to win a world medal. Her technical ability isn't good enough.

and I don't think she'll be on the top 3 in US in the coming years
with her two footed jumps and declining technical content

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Gold will continue to push Wagner, but Gold isn't assured to beat Wagner, given her lack of consistency and bombing her FS at Worlds.

Gold may have not done so well in her FS but still placed ahead of Wagner overall
one thing for sure, Wagner isnt returning to US No.1 lady

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
She is still the U.S #2 for now, but who knows for how long. The USFSA probably realizes by now she is never going to be a world medalist. She gives them reason to dump her, and judging by her last 2 Nationals she probably will, and she will likely see herself slipping further, and fighting to even make the U.S team in the future. She will never be U.S #1 over Gold ever again.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Wagner will likely continue to be a favourite for GP wins and making the GPF. Polina is capable of medaling on the GP and winning Nationals. Karen Chen is a non factor and question mark at this point (see, Junior Worlds).

Polina Edmunds, Gracie Gold are capable of winning GP Golds next season
with many veterans retirning, so Wagner isn't assured of any GP let alone the GPF :unsure:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
and I don't think she'll be on the top 3 in US in the coming years
with her two footed jumps and declining technical content

Uh, let's compare...
Ashley Wagner's BV was 56.73 and 63.64 with GOE.
Gracie Gold's BV was 52.52 and 58.58 with GOE.

Ashley went for 7 triples... How exactly is that declining technical content? :rolleye:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If I learned one lesson in life it is to never underestimate someone who can rise to the occasion.

I though Ashley's FS was excellent today, even better than the Olympics. Her jumps looked quite good and I thought she sold the program well.

Let's put it this way. If Polina Edmunds wants to be U.S. No. 2 or even if Gracie wants to stay U.S. No. 1 Ashley isn't just going to roll over and let that happen. If Gracie and Polina are as awesome as they can be, then they should be able to beat Ashley. But Ashley shouldn't be penalized for being old if they don't.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Why assume Wagner would likely win grand prixs. Even if Asada and Kostner retire/take a year off she wont be a top 3 seed on the grand prix circuit. So she wont be the favorite to win any event she is put in, and that isn't even factoring which events Radianova and Sotnikova (if she returns) end up in too.

I do think it wont be long before Edmunds is U.S #2. One can see clearly from Nationals and worlds this year the gap is closing fast. Edmunds has far more technical potential than Wagner, so once the PCS go up to even respectable, it will be almost impossible for Wagner to stay ahead. Plus the USFSA would be far more invested in a future hopeful like Edmunds than a spent force with no hope of a world medal ever in the future like Wagner.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I do think it wont be long before Edmunds is U.S #2. One can see clearly from Nationals and worlds this year the gap is closing fast. Edmunds has far more technical potential than Wagner, so once the PCS go up to even respectable, it will be almost impossible for Wagner to stay ahead. Plus the USFSA would be far more invested in a future hopeful like Edmunds than a spent force with no hope of a world medal ever in the future like Wagner.

Wagner beat Polina in FS by a hair, only in PCS
Polina E. will be US No.2 soon

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Polina Edmunds, Gracie Gold are capable of winning GP Golds next season
with many veterans retirning, so Wagner isn't assured of any GP let alone the GPF :unsure:

Wagner won a GP gold this season and a GP silver and a GPF bronze. No guarantee of GP medals next year but that can be said about any skater.

Gold won a GP bronze, and that's it. Despite many thinking she was assured wins and a GPF spot. She is a very good example of how no skater (except Kim) is assured GP medals no matter how talented they seem.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Wagner won a GP gold this season and a GP silver and a GPF bronze. No guarantee of GP medals next year but that can be said about any skater.

Gold won a GP bronze, and that's it. And is a very good example of how no skater (except Kim) is assured GP medals no matter how talented they seem.

yet Gold placed ahead at Worlds
so who is to say Gracie wont beat Wagner in GP medals next season ?