What do Moore-Towers & Moscovitch need | Golden Skate

What do Moore-Towers & Moscovitch need

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It seems this team just cant break through in the judges eyes. Here at worlds even a SP score on par or better than the 2 Chinese would have won them the bronze, but they were dumped even for their clean SP. Their PCS are lower than a team like Duhamel & Radford which I find strange. I get the impression the judges find they skate too small in comparision to some of the other top teams. Their twist is only ok and adequate, doesn't compare to pretty much all the other medal contenders. They don't skate as fast and big, and their tricks aren't as big, apart from their overhead lifts which are tremendous. I think that is what holds them back in the judges eyes.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I find them slow compared to the other top teams. I think they should also try to learn a throw triple lutz and SBS triple lutzes, or even loops or flips so they can get a higher TES score.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Yeah. They currently do Throw Salchow and Loop. Maybe try a flip or do something difficult with the Salchow to bump up the GOE.

They can try Salchows in the SP
and maybe add a 2T to their 3T+3T sequence.

gottadance

On the Ice
another thing I think might hold them back in the judges eyes is that , this year at least , both their SP and LP had a " cutsie" theme - I know that they do this very well and I find them absolutely lovely to watch but many judges it seems like the drama stuff .
I agree that their twists are too low and I wonder why when Dylan is clearly a strong and well built guy?

noskates

Record Breaker
I think they'll be great this year. I didn't notice them being slower than the other teams. But they do need a much higher twist! The top teams just about hit the rafters with theirs. But quite frankly, I like them much better than Duhamel and her partner.

anyanka

Record Breaker
They're all smiles and sunshine all the time. That's just their style, but their persona doesn't allow them do something dark and dramatic as a contrast.

For example: in a piece like "La Strada", she's got a perma-grin which is inappropriate for the performance. It doesn't add to their presentation when the source music is from one of the saddest pieces of cinema Fellini's ever made in the Italian neo-realist movement.

Bottom line: pairing them (pun intended) with a more unexpected (for them) piece of music, acting classes to emote better, and a bit more speed. And yes a higher twist is in order. How about spending a couple of weeks in training camp with V/T? Or Robin could come over now that he's not hanging out with Aljona and Ingo these days to give some pointers? I could see Robin as a great freelance pairs technical consultant.

L_Canada

Rinkside
I prefer them to Duhamel and Radford as well! Just heard D&R will be staying in next year?? UGH!

tulosai

Record Breaker
I basically agree with what's already said. They need a bigger twist and also bigger throws (certainly) and if at all possible, they need to slightly up their jump content.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Other than the fact they skated clean programs, I found them a little boring to watch, and their movements are not as refined as even D/R (not that I am a fan of D/R). Moore-Towers has the feminine look unlike Duhamel, but she also has that very earthy, girl next door look (opposite the ice princess look), which will probably hold them back from reaching the very top. And aren't they also reusing their SP from last season?

elif

Medalist
better death spiral
better twist
better pair combination spin

Those elements holding them back in short programs.

gold12345

Medalist
As other posters have mentioned, their twist isn't as good as the others. I think there was some improvement in it last season, but this season it was lower again. In fact, their twist looks somewhat similar to the twist Dylan had when he skated with his sister a while back, and she was much taller than Kirsten. So it seems to be a technical issue on both their parts. A lot of pairs struggle with twist technique and it seems to be a difficult fix once you get used to doing it a certain way.

And of course it would help to learn the harder 3F/3Lz throw. Their 3Lo throw has good distance (not the greatest height, but still good), but their 3S throw is small. This is a powerful pair, but their throws don't really match that power.

As great as their lifts are, maybe it would help to try to learn a backward or reverse lasso lift.

The death spiral in the SP hurt them this year, but luckily for them, the required death spiral changes each season, and they're better at the others, although still not great. I think that Kirsten has mentioned before that back flexibility is a weakness for her. I remember that Caydee Denney used to have similar struggles with the back inside death spiral, but hers ended up improving, so maybe it's possible to get better there.

As they've continued to get new programs year after year, I think their "look" on the ice and overall presentation have gotten better. There's room for improvement though, of course. They seem most comfortable being perky and playful, for sure.

euroskate

Final Flight
as mentioned above they are kind of boring, although they have everything. they need different programs and different ideas for transitions. something special. and every element xould be a little better to really be on top

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
They're all smiles and sunshine all the time. That's just their style, but their persona doesn't allow them do something dark and dramatic as a contrast.

For example: in a piece like "La Strada", she's got a perma-grin which is inappropriate for the performance. It doesn't add to their presentation when the source music is from one of the saddest pieces of cinema Fellini's ever made in the Italian neo-realist movement.

Bottom line: pairing them (pun intended) with a more unexpected (for them) piece of music, acting classes to emote better, and a bit more speed. And yes a higher twist is in order. How about spending a couple of weeks in training camp with V/T? Or Robin could come over now that he's not hanging out with Aljona and Ingo these days to give some pointers? I could see Robin as a great freelance pairs technical consultant.
I think David Pelletier is a better and more likely choice. I think he has helped teams in the past.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
What do they need? The judges need to wake up and realize that they are the overall better team than D/R. I thought the tide had shifted at the Olympics, but based on Worlds maybe not. MTM were ridiculously underscored in the World SP - they may not have SBS triples lutzes (which D/R often land sloppily and/or underrotate), but MTM's overall quality and look on the ice are both much better than D/R