Which skaters have correct jumping technique? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Which skaters have correct jumping technique?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Timothy Goebel. The rest of his skating is, well... But his quads (especially the salchow) were the most effortless in the world. Still not surpassed.

That being said, I'm not sure if he had the best technique or if he was just a darn good jumper/spinner. His quads left him pretty quickly after injury set in.

Today? Javier Fernandez. His 4S is better than his 4T. Reynolds is too prone to URs.

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
Who do you think has the best 4Salchow technique?

And is it ok, if the position before the jump is not λ as it is supposed to be? I mean some men before the jump look like as if they use free right leg as pushing too rather than using just the edge of take-off left leg. Is that even right?

By far Kevin Reynolds' 4S seems the closest to me, also Florent Amodio's

IMO Kevin Reynolds gets no height in his 4S or speed out of it. He's so skinny he just rotates fast and somehow lands it.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Reynolds has a very weird jump technique. His air position looks really loose and his arms are kinda saggy. He somehow gets the job done (URs aside), but it's not pretty and not what I'd call textbook. I suspect, if we lock all the old Russian champions in a room and have them watch Reynolds, they'd be scratching their heads, wondering how he manages to land his jumps. :scratch:

Klarnet

On the Ice
Wow, Goebel's jump is really good. With Reynolds I meant mostly take-off position which is closer to correct. Fernandez' or Kovtun's take-off position is not clear for salchow, from this point of view even Miki Ando's 4S looked better. Or maybe I'm just being picky, but for now no one does it textbook.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Wow, Goebel's jump is really good. With Reynolds I meant mostly take-off position which is closer to correct. Fernandez' or Kovtun's take-off position is not clear for salchow, from this point of view even Miki Ando's 4S looked better. Or maybe I'm just being picky, but for now no one does it textbook.

Fernandez take-off at least is looking quite nice, while Kovtun's..... :scratch:

Actually Hanyu's technique is also very nice when he hit it right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eJhJHfwWeU#t=20

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Ah, okay, I was considering the jump as a whole rather than just the take-off. Hence why I eliminated Reynolds (rotation, air position), Hanyu (landing), Amodio recently (consistency), and Kovtun (all of the above, plus pops) as options. Pretty much leaves only Goebel and Javi (who does have his share of pops, but not severe as Kovtun). I assume Miki must've had some good technique going for her, to be able to do 4S at all (has any other lady even landed it in practice, other than Mao?), even if it's a bit UR. Of course, she was also a great natural jumper.

76olympics

On the Ice
What about "Jumpin' Joe' Sabovcik?

I was just rereading his autobio and he talked about how he learned jumps the "old" way.

Excerpt:

"To this day I still jump in what many skaters classify as the old way, which is generally considered to be more difficult. I was taught to jump up and then rotate as opposed to rolling the jump from takeoff and spinning almost immediately. The jump never fully gets up this way but it is safer and the success rate is much higher. With mandatory triple axels in effect now (1998), newer skaters almost have to do it like this in order to skate cleanly. Many have the jumping power, but won't let the jump reach its full peak because they start turning too early. yet their jumps are much longer. Mine are always shorter but higher because I would let the jump travel up and then rotate which allowed the jump to climb........

Because I took so long learning the various jumps, once I did land them, I developed enduring confidence that I wouldn't lose the jump at some point in the future Obviously I would miss a few jumps , but I would always land at least one in practice."

I have to say he gets unbelievable height on jumps: the triple lutz was crazy and if he lands them-the landings are really smooth and secure.