Which skaters have correct jumping technique? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which skaters have correct jumping technique?

jaylee

Medalist
Or so it used to be pre-CoP. It had to be a long glide to make sure that the counter-rotational pull to start up the rotation was totally generated by the outer edge of the non-pick feet (which is what makes a lutz a lutz). After-CoP, the very long backward glide no longer became mandatory and could be cut shorter by putting in 'transitions' which means that the pull to start up the rotation is not totally generated by the outer edge of the non-pick feet. Hence, you have the 'true lutz' and the 'lutz' as per recognized under CoP.

Sounds like you're making stuff up. "True lutz" and "lutz" indeed. :frown:

jkun

Final Flight
Yuna is known to have strong jump technique with only occasional edge call on her flip (thanks to Mr. Amano). Her Lutz is text book-correct edge, unlike many other female skaters.

Interestingly, British Eurosport commentators praised Park So Youn's jumps in that "Tech panel don't have to review any of her jumps." "Nothing's wrong with her flip," and Lutz is also strong, according to them. I guess Korean coaches must be doing something right to instill strong jumping techniques to their students. :bow:

I think Korean coaches stress proper technique a lot. I watched most of the Korean hats and all the ladies seemed to have correct edge on both lutz and flip. No fluzting whatsoever. Little Yunas in the making.. hopefully.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The entrance determines which jump it is. If there was counter rotation happening as the takeoff starts, it's a Lutz. Otherwise it's a Flip.

MiRé

Match Penalty
3Lz Yuna/Caro
3F Caro/Yuna
3Lo Caro/Mao
3S Caro/Yuna
3T Yuna

I'll put Yuna for 3T since her 3T on her combination has a good height and flow. I can only imagine what her solo 3T would look like since, well, I can't even remember the last time she did a solo 3T, I know she had 3T+3T before, just can't recall. I've always wondered if Yuna was able to do a 4T :p

jkun

Final Flight
3Lz Yuna/Caro
3F Caro/Yuna
3Lo Caro/Mao
3S Caro/Yuna
3T Yuna

I think for me, at least.. The best ladies lutz: Caro's 3Lz at the beginning of the Bolero at 2013 worlds was amazing. I think Yuna's 2013 Worlds Les mis, Flip is the best flip.

CarneAsada

Medalist
3Lz Yuna/Caro
3F Caro/Yuna
3Lo Caro/Mao
3S Caro/Yuna
3T Yuna

I'll put Yuna for 3T since her 3T on her combination has a good height and flow. I can only imagine what her solo 3T would look like since, well, I can't even remember the last time she did a solo 3T, I know she had 3T+3T before, just can't recall. I've always wondered if Yuna was able to do a 4T :p
3A Mao, as she's the only one currently doing it. Harding/Ito had bigger ones but Harding's was always funky in the air. As Mao has landed the 3A internationally for 9 seasons now, I put her above Harding.

Yuna Kim's solo 3T

MiRé

Match Penalty
I think for me, at least.. The best ladies lutz: Caro's 3Lz at the beginning of the Bolero at 2013 worlds was amazing. I think Yuna's 2013 Worlds Les mis, Flip is the best flip.

I would also put Caro 1st too, but she telegraphs her jumps way too much :eek:hwell:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As much as I absolutely adore Carolina and have always liked her jump technique its going to be a long time before I can forget BoP's 'ode to the single jump' post after the free skate. I can't even look at the protocols without laughing. Some got offended but I found it entertaining. To be able to get that score in her FS with jumps like that really speaks volumes about how good her technique really must be!

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Another vote for Caro. Great height, distance, flow. Perfect air position and extension on landings. All correct edges. On lutz and flip, she finishes the rotation way before landing. Only criticisms are telegraphing and inconsistency when she's nervous, tired or loses concentration.

Yuna's jumps are also superb but she occasionally lips and of course doesn't do the loop anymore. To get nitpicky her landings aren't very well extended and her salchow is kind of swingy.

Gracie's jumps may be huge but she doesn't get a lot of flow on the landings. On flip and lutz she jumps with her arms too much and it kind of takes away from the aesthetics of the jump. She also has a tendency to let her body get too far back in the air.

As for flutzing, men do have the advantage of being stronger which helps in keeping the edge more stable plus they don't need to prerotate so much. I find that when I try too hard and muscle my lutz or don't have enough speed I always go over onto the inside edge. If I have adequate speed, a steady edge and controlled light pick on the take off I can keep it on an outside edge. Mule kicks and wobbly edges are not conductive to achieving a true lutz.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Another vote for Caro. Great height, distance, flow. Perfect air position and extension on landings. All correct edges. On lutz and flip, she finishes the rotation way before landing. Only criticisms are telegraphing and inconsistency when she's nervous, tired or loses concentration.

To me, the landing position is what breaks the tie for me. The telegraphing doesn't bother me much because her technique is so good. I understand the long set-up isn't ideal under COP but if we're talking about the technique of the jump from take-off to landing, Caro is the best.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Definitely Carolina and Kim. Edge to Kim for less set up, but Kostner has wonderful speed and flow. Kim also tends to maintain her axis better than Kostner.

As for the men, Hanyu has excellent technique and Chan (except for the axel) has it as well. Plushenko's jumping technique is also very solid (except for the occasional lutz or salchow). Yagudin and Stojko are examples of skaters in the past who also have good technique.

moviechick

On the Ice
Chan's axel should take him out of this convo if a jump is that unreliable. Not a single clean axel from him in Sochi, not even the double.

Yagudin and Plushenko really didn't have any weak jumps. If they ever missed a jump, it was usually just whatever was at the end of the program when they got tired/lost concentration. It usually changed from season to season as their jump layouts changed. Yagudin's 3flip was always a bit wonky in his 02 season cause it was at the end of his program but he never had issues with it in other seasons when it was earlier in the program. But then he would have issues with his salchow when it was at the end of his Broken Arrow LP.

Kulik had amazing jump technique but was just very inconsistent.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Chan's axel should take him out of this convo if a jump is that unreliable.

Should Hanyu's 4S take him out of the convo since his 4S is unreliable? And with his lip, does that take him out of it as well?

How about Kostner's inconsistencies on her flip or salchow?

I think we should consider not consistency but actual technique when the jump is properly executed. Chan has landed many axels this season (he was 5/8 or something like that prior to Sochi), but even his successful axels were poor technique compared to somebody like Hanyu.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Julia was not called for Flutz in sp. ice is slippery not only in falls but effects the edges if you are like Julia and wobble and while she can do clean lutz it's unstable so she was called Flutz only in lp and not sp because she was more stable in sp.

Small is only really bad if it makes for constant and damaging urs. Julia is small and may have small jumps but she does not ur so her jumps aren't so small that they aren't rotated in the air! A lot of small girls jump small and don't rotate in the air. I beleieve Julia will grow and still know how to get lift to rotate in the air. If she didn't really know how to jump she would be underrotating her small jumps now. But her toe loop jump is a big jump. It's her biggest! All other jumps are smaller than her toe loop but totally rotated in the air. Her double axel needs work and that's obvious because it could start failing bad.

She's been getting a bunch of << and < calls as of late. I'm aware that she can skate without < calls, but she's not devoid of them. A skater like Kim, however, usually rotates her jumps fully. The probably with Julia is she doesn't vault herself in her jumps... she relies on rotation, and that's poor technique, even if the jump is fully rotated. It's like saying Miyahara has good technique so her minimal height on her jumps is okay.

moviechick

On the Ice
Should Hanyu's 4S take him out of the convo since his 4S is unreliable? And with his lip, does that take him out of it as well?

The 4S is still not a totally standard jump right now. Hanyu is doing it to challenge himself and cause he can get the points. The 3A has been a mainstay in men's FS since the 80s though and a lack of consistency on that jump usually points to a serious technical problem.

Hanyu has a great 4T and 3A, but he does slip up on his lesser jumps so I wouldn't give him an A+ just yet either.

Symmetry

Rinkside
I also love Carolina's jumps when she lands them. However, I can never consider her a jump master with correct technique. Consistency is a big part of it. As far as I see, she has not mastered the technique. If your Ferrari breaks down every other month, would you consider it a good car? You still may want to keep it because it is beautiful but something must be wrong if it breaks down that often.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Like I said, this thread is about technique, not consistency.

Ito, for example, has poor technique with her leg wrap, but good consistency. Lipnitskaia gets minimal height, but has solid consistency.

i.e. just because a skater is consistently landing their jumps doesn't mean they have ideal technique. Just like somebody with excellent technique doesn't necessarily always land their jumps.

moviechick

On the Ice
I also love Carolina's jumps when she lands them. However, I can never consider her a jump master with correct technique. Consistency is a big part of it. As far as I see, she has not mastered the technique. If your Ferrari breaks down every other month, would you consider it a good car? You still may want to keep it because it is beautiful but something must be wrong if it breaks down that often.

I kind of agree but I will say that there's a difference between mental inconsistency and inconsistency based on poor technique. With Carolina, I think it's more mental. On the other hand, Chan and Lambiel's 3A issues a technical.

Symmetry

Rinkside
Like I said, this thread is about technique, not consistency.

Ito, for example, has poor technique with her leg wrap, but good consistency. Lipnitskaia gets minimal height, but has solid consistency.

i.e. just because a skater is consistently landing their jumps doesn't mean they have ideal technique. Just like somebody with excellent technique doesn't necessarily always land their jumps.

My point is Carolina must have good technique in her but has not mastered it. If anyone has masted poor technique, she/he will consistently jump in poor quality. That's why I cannot see Carolina being an exemplary skater with correct technique b/c it is still half-filled potential.