The ShibShibs Will Keep Competing | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The ShibShibs Will Keep Competing

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
Haha, what would be an example of a darker route? (I'm almost afraid to ask this question)

LOL maybe I'm being too ambitious but how about some atonal orchestral music :cool: They can be dressed all in black with artistic paint splatters on their costume and heavy eyeliner

OK maybe not :laugh:

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Erm, wouldn't that rub the judges the wrong way, particularly if they're conservative? And I'd imagine it would be awkward to do a romantic routine with your sibling...

lol i'm kidding

(OR AM I?!?!?!???!??!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?)

the shibs need to get rid of marina though. they should be the solid US #2 team but they're being consistently beat by chock/bates who've only been together for like three years.

and marina has never been as effusive in her praise about the shibs as she is about her other teams. even what she said this week about i/k, idk how they still have confidence in her

lbc2138

On the Ice
Sorry I wasn't sure if you were being serious, still learning the ins and outs of these forums!

lol i'm kidding

(OR AM I?!?!?!???!??!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?)

the shibs need to get rid of marina though. they should be the solid US #2 team but they're being consistently beat by chock/bates who've only been together for like three years.

and marina has never been as effusive in her praise about the shibs as she is about her other teams. even what she said this week about i/k, idk how they still have confidence in her

That's what I was thinking! I honestly think with more focused coaching they could tap their full potential. If they were to get rid of Marina...they can't really go back to Shpilband? Are there other coaches that could potentially lead them to higher standings?

noskates

Record Breaker
Well how are you just assuming that Marina's interest will be the same as it was when she was fully immersed in V&M and D&W??? Maybe the Shibs are her next main project.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Sorry I wasn't sure if you were being serious, still learning the ins and outs of these forums!

That's what I was thinking! I honestly think with more focused coaching they could tap their full potential. If they were to get rid of Marina...they can't really go back to Shpilband? Are there other coaches that could potentially lead them to higher standings?

they're probably better off with marina than igor at this point. at least until marina starts poaching other students, they're her only top team for now whereas igor has like twenty up and coming teams. theoretically they could go to le unibrow at detroit, but he's probably just as busy as igor at this point. you'd think that with v/m and d/w retiring, they'd get marina's undivided attention but i realllyyyy doubt that

Well how are you just assuming that Marina's interest will be the same as it was when she was fully immersed in V&M and D&W??? Maybe the Shibs are her next main project.

did you read her comments about i/k from a few days ago? i'd be pissed as hell seeing my coach say those things about another team. it's obvious she's got a wandering eye as far as coaching goes.

plus marina is the queen of the gooey romantic let's just gaze into each others eyes and sigh program, i don't think she thinks there's much she can do for the shibs except pocket $200 an hour from them

lbc2138

On the Ice
they're probably better off with marina than igor at this point. at least until marina starts poaching other students, they're her only top team for now whereas igor has like twenty up and coming teams. theoretically they could go to le unibrow at detroit, but he's probably just as busy as igor at this point. you'd think that with v/m and d/w retiring, they'd get marina's undivided attention but i realllyyyy doubt that

With v/m and d/w retiring, why wouldn't she invest in the Shibsibs? Their technical score is on par with everyone else in the top group, it's the PCS that they're missing out on. What sort of themes would everyone like to have the siblings explore since romantic "gaze into each others eyes" routines won't work on them?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm glad they are continuing too. I enjoy watching them. I just wish they had skated to something other than Michael Jackson in an Olympic Year. I really don't think it showed them well. Hopefully Zueva will come up with something a little more charismatic and inspiring. And they ARE young! I think there are many, many pieces of music that don't have a sexual connotation that siblings could skate to.

I love the Shibs, but after watching what the DWTS pros have brought out of Meryl and Charlie in just 3 weeks, I am beginning to wonder whether Marina is quite the right choreographer for any of her students...

Re C&B, I totally agree with tulosai; they were spectacular at Nationals.
See them live. They explode across the ice. I never got them either till I saw them at Nationals; now I'm an uber.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For as long as they are going to UMich, their choices are Marina, Igor and Angelika.
Angelika has H&B, A&E, and H&D. Igor has C&B.

They're stuck. Unless UMich has some kind of overseas program.

I'd send them to Platov. Or Skotnicky.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
With v/m and d/w retiring, why wouldn't she invest in the Shibsibs?

because the shibs have never shown as much potential as the other two? brother/sister teams are hard to package and the shibs are no duchesnays. that and their serious decline in the rankings since 2011....marina's shady comments about i/k show that she's already looking elsewhere for her next world/olympic champions because it's becoming obvious it'll be a battle to even get the shibs on the podium right now, let alone dominate like her last two teams did

Big Deal

Final Flight
I would give them to Linichuk (improving some of their SD-s and helping a LOT about politicking with Russian friendly countries and judges) and Stavisky as a choreographer.
I think quite a few of the "best ever" Programmes was created by this team in the time of Denkova/Staviyski.
They should remained in the USA than...

I don't really like Linichuk, but other than her terrible choreos, she is a very effective coach in many ways.

matcha

Medalist
because the shibs have never shown as much potential as the other two? brother/sister teams are hard to package and the shibs are no duchesnays. that and their serious decline in the rankings since 2011....marina's shady comments about i/k show that she's already looking elsewhere for her next world/olympic champions because it's becoming obvious it'll be a battle to even get the shibs on the podium right now, let alone dominate like her last two teams did

Do you have a link to these comments made by Marina by any chance?

tulosai

Record Breaker
1. I think it's a bit disingenuous to call Marina's comments 'shady'. She was quite forthright IMO :laugh:

2. I am on team 'Dutch Zuzu, Shibs!' but we also Do have to consider that it's HIGHLY unlikely that they have not discussed the future and their vision for the future and her vision of their future with her at length. Whatever she has said to them has made them very confident in her and their ability to go forward with her. Indeed it is HIGHLY likely that whatever she said is part of why they have chosen to continue at all. For that reason, I'll give it a season or two and see where she does go with them. I am prepared and on some level expect to be disappointed, but it's n ot like the Shibs probably made this decision lightly, especially as they were open that they were contemplating retirement.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really hope this team works out its problem. Maybe I am looking for a villain but Morosov scares me. He's like Satan incarnate. Innocent until proven guilty how is it he ends up sexually it would appear with all these attractive and good skaters? And Elena is so young compared to him. He really creeps me out. Elena needs good discipline and they both need to work (I and K) hard and develop their natural talents. I know it is hard but working in Michigan with Zueva would be good or maybe even Krylova or Dubreil and Lauzon. they need to work on using their talents, developing clean skates and upping their technical skills which they can do. I am biased but they are such a pretty couple too:) I hope they stay together and ditch Morosov. Too bad bad taste or immorality is not illegal - Morosov would be in jail for life. I am sorry he is just so creepy.

meem

On the Ice
I too have yet to "get" what's so special about Chock & Bates. Bates always looks as though he's bending at the waist to try to not look as tho' he's towering over Chock. It draws my attention & annoys me. I agree, he looked much better with his previous partner (Samuelson?)...they were closer in height and they looked like a team.

I'm with you on this one. I actually liked them on the same level as Meryl and Charlie, and I cannot see what all of the fuss is about Chock/Bates. Now I did like Bates with his previous partner.

Back to the Shibutanis: even if they find a choreographer who can create programs that are sib-safe, it may not help them. IMO the judges look at ice dancing as a couples sport (it's not as icky with pairs since pairs don't have to gaze into each other's eyes, they're not "dancing" with each other, they're too busy doing gymnastics on ice, etc) Wasn't there a thread last year in which songs were suggested that would be sib-safe for the Shibutanis?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I too have yet to "get" what's so special about Chock & Bates. Bates always looks as though he's bending at the waist to try to not look as tho' he's towering over Chock. It draws my attention & annoys me. I agree, he looked much better with his previous partner (Samuelson?)...they were closer in height and they looked like a team.

Back to the Shibutanis: even if they find a choreographer who can create programs that are sib-safe, it may not help them. IMO the judges look at ice dancing as a couples sport (it's not as icky with pairs since pairs don't have to gaze into each other's eyes, they're not "dancing" with each other, they're too busy doing gymnastics on ice, etc) Wasn't there a thread last year in which songs were suggested that would be sib-safe for the Shibutanis?

The problem I had with Samuelson was, while she and Bates had wonderful matching lines, extension, etc., they lacked charisma together. Pretty much the only program of theirs I found exciting was the 1940s themed one (can't remember the music for it at the moment). They were nice, a couple for purists. Madison Chock has charisma galore. There's a wonderful quote from Katharine Hepburn about why the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers pairing worked so well: "He gives her class and she gives him sex [appeal]." And I definitely think that is applicable to C/B. And one thing that no one mentions about C/B is range. They can do playful (Cirque du Soleil, Finnstep), romantic (Dr Zhviago), dynamic (Les Miz). And I think they've only just started to tap into that, given that Bates is only starting to come out of his usual "stem" shell.

As far as the Duschenays/ShibSib comparison, they're very different kinds of teams. The Duschenays were more "raw" and a bit more rough around the edges. The Shibs are more "cooked" and with much better technique. Very different styles. I'd love to see the Shibs go arty and smooth as opposed to the Duschenays arty and rough-edged. If Marina can come up with a program like Marlie's Giselle for them or Bollywood, then wonderful. But I don't think she is the right fit for them, given that she has generally tried to replicate or repeat the styles of past programs. A very narrow vision.

Hmm, yes, Patrice Lauzon and Marie France Dubreuil might be a better fit for the Shib Sibs. I was very impressed with what they brought out of Hurtado and Diaz. And the Shibs have better technique than H/D. Interesting...