Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev

TheGothicEme

On the Ice
Dima is dating Ksenia Stolbova, actually, it's been several years now, about one year after he divorced his first wife :laugh:
I mean look at him and Katya off ice, they are just like brother and sister.
And this is Stolbova's pic from Dima's instagram
http://sc.uploads.ru/t/lRc0G.jpg caption "My Love"
http://cs618626.vk.me/v618626327/38d8/rjtu2eqIhQY.jpg caption "I'm changing my car's tires"
there are several more, but I can't remember them, sorry :laugh:
Katya said that she already has a fiance :love: of course, not Dima :laugh:

DianaSelene

Medalist
OMG Navka at the beginning made me laugh. :laugh:
Is that suppose to be Anna in the scene where Vronsky had the accident with a horse in a competition? :unsure:

I don't think B&S will do a similar thing. After all this is an exhibition number. ;)

p.s. love the couple in your avatar. :love:

Yeah, the beginning is horrendous. I assume this program was put together in one day. Not the most complex or intriguing performance. :think:
I see a trend going on with Zhulin and his pairs and I don't like it. While I have nothing against B/S skating to Anna Karenina, I hate that he gets most of his ideas from a cheap Ice Age show. In the past few years, he has given I/K Schindler's list which was skated in the exact same costume by Navka and one of the celebrities before, then he gave B/S the Bird program from Ice Age which was performed initially by Domnina/Alexei Tikhonov. Eventually, he changed the original music to Mozart and then threw away the program altogether. Now, I am pretty sure that giving B/S Anna Karenina was inspired by Navka/Kostomarov's performance. Also, one of the worst Zlobina/Sitnikova's programs (who are from Azerbaijan) was also from Ice Age. It was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3IBKSqsG8c
Which came from Navka/Ruslan Goncharov program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loNs9B1SBSc

It seems like he rarely comes up with something on his own that was not initially on Ice Age. And I don't like it. On the other hand, I think B/S will be able to do a really good program with Anna Karenina -- I think the concept and music suits them and is not overused either.

p.s. Thanks, Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze are one of my favorite pairs ever. (Pairs is also my favorite figure skating discipline.)

Alba

Record Breaker
I see a trend going on with Zhulin and his pairs and I don't like it. While I have nothing against B/S skating to Anna Karenina, I hate that he gets most of his ideas from a cheap Ice Age show. In the past few years, he has given I/K Schindler's list which was skated in the exact same costume by Navka and one of the celebrities before, then he gave B/S the Bird program from Ice Age which was performed initially by Domnina/Alexei Tikhonov. Eventually, he changed the original music to Mozart and then threw away the program altogether. Now, I am pretty sure that giving B/S Anna Karenina was inspired by Navka/Kostomarov's performance. Also, one of the worst Zlobina/Sitnikova's programs (who are from Azerbaijan) was also from Ice Age. It was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3IBKSqsG8c
Which came from Navka/Ruslan Goncharov program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loNs9B1SBSc

It seems like he rarely comes up with something on his own that was not initially on Ice Age. And I don't like it. On the other hand, I think B/S will be able to do a really good program with Anna Karenina -- I think the concept and music suits them and is not overused either.

WOW! I had no idea about all this. I thought Zhulin as a talented choreo because of his days as a skater. He and Maya had some beautiful programs and I thought they were behind them.
I'm not a fan of B&S but their FD was not bad at all. I would've loved it, if they could've kept Morricone's music for the whole program and not cut it to Tosca.

p.s. Thanks, Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze are one of my favorite pairs ever. (Pairs is also my favorite figure skating discipline.)

Pairs are my fav. too, and Dance also. B&S were simply gracious on ice. :)

TheGothicEme

On the Ice
you forget that Zhulin is one of 2 masterminds behind all of the Ice Age right? half of Ice Age programmes (or more than that) are his idea. Zhulin is talented, and Ice Age is not cheap, at all. not like that Battle of Blades something.

sisinka

Final Flight

Ice Age and such ice shows where Averbukh and Zhulin took part like choreographers or skaters are here from 2007.

Zhulin statistics like coach and choreographer (finding at Internet):
Ice Age 2007: 8 couples from Zhulin…12 evenings with the show…5 couples got to the final…around 70 programs
Ice Age 2008: 9 couples from Zhulin…around 11 evenings with the show…12 couples in the final, probably 6 of them coached by Zhulin…Zhulin and Averbuhk changed couples…around 75 programs
Ice Age 2009: 7 couples from Zhulin…around 15 competive evenings…all couples got into the final…105 programs
Ice and Fire 2010: 9 couples coached by Zhulin…15 evenings…half of them dancing on the floor, so 7 evenings on the ice…14 couples got into final, 6 of them were from Zhulin…around 50 programs on the ice
Cup of Profesionals 2012: 21 people making 10 couples…10 evenings…44 programs...
Ice Age 2013: 14 couples…coaches were changing once again…14 evenings…73 programs

(Plus Zhulin had some own show in 2010 or around that date…which means another new programs with new ideas…)

Overall since 2007 he created around 373 programs, plus original and short dances for all his couples since 2007 which could be hardly taken from Ice Age shows.
I can’t imagine Zueva, Sphilband or Morozov bringing to live around 400 programs in 7 years (it was probably more, I think he did more than 27 original or short dances since 2007) and especially for competive dancing try to creat next 20 new programs.

What is important for music and story choice in shows? To take people’s attention. What is important for music and story choice in eligible skating? To take people‘s attention. Why are some ideas or music the same in both show and competive skating is not suprising then. Many people use Romeo and Juliette, Phantom of the Opera, Tango by Piazolla, West Side Story etc. Who criticised Zueva for taking POTO or Tango for Meryl and Charlie when somebody else already took it in past years?

For sure programs for competive skating must be changed to suit judging system, which is not always easy. But I don’t see any reason why shouldn’t be ideas from shows taken to competive skating. Schindler‘s List and Psycho program of B&S last season were a big success. With restrictions of using ideas from shows in competive skating – those programs would never be created for Ice Dance and it would be a pity.
As I know Monko & Khaliavin, Agafonova & Ucar and Zenkova & Sinitsin have different programs which you couldn‘t see in Ice Age.

Birds program was very good and extremely difficult program, it never reached its potencial thanks to more reasons, but other B&S’s programs under Zhulin – two SD and FD in 2012/13 season were great. Overall Zhulin is a very creative choreographer, his work is nowhere similar to other top choreographers and there are no big similarities in his programs comparing all his couples (while for example Morozov‘s choreography always contains the same steps for all cathegories where you immediatelly notice that it must be Morozov’s work). In times when many couples and their choreographers are concentrating on elements mainly, while other choreographers use overused music and “save“ music, Zhulin comes with unusual programs. If he takes ideas from Ice Age or not…it is still mainly his ideas because he was one of two choreographers in all those shows. So the idea is original and it comes from his head.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sisinka, very good post.

I think it is fair to view the situation as Zhulin's strategy is to use Ice Age as a kind of dress rehearsal for his competitive programs, similar to Broadway shows, which open "off-Broadway." He can see whether the audience really loved a program. The skaters can see the program performed and say,"Yes, I would like to skate something like that." And Zhulin himself can make changes based on what clearly didn't work.

I think it's a good strategy!

The only caveat is that what pleases the Russian audience may or may not work with an international audience.

In US parlance, "Will it 'play' in Peoria?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_it_play_in_Peoria?

Last edited:

TheGothicEme

On the Ice
Sisinka did say more than enough about Birds, so I don't think I need to say anything more, but I think I should throw in something to defend Madness programme. About that Tosca part, I know some of you don't like it, but I think it fits perfectly and it makes sense considering the plot of the FD. That Tosca fantasy is based on the aria of " ‎E lucevan le stelle" the part in Tosca when Mario Cavaradossi is about to be executed, shotted to death, and at that very moment, he realizes that he loves his life very much, he loves Tosca very much. Hence, the line (with Pavarotti's voice, no less) "And I never before loved life so much, Loved life so much!"... it suits the plot, you see, the man wakes up from his madness, he realizes that he has never loved his life more, never loved the woman more, but she's already gone, already slipped into the darkness he just got out. It's really beautiful and touching, if you ask me. I usually dont like Tarasova's interference, but she did a good job in this case.

Macassar88

Medalist
I wonder whether Bobrova will continue to darken her hair - maybe brown or black instead of red

Alba

Record Breaker
you forget that Zhulin is one of 2 masterminds behind all of the Ice Age right? half of Ice Age programmes (or more than that) are his idea. Zhulin is talented, and Ice Age is not cheap, at all. not like that Battle of Blades something.

That's what I think too. I love his work and Ilia's in that show.:agree:

I wonder whether Bobrova will continue to darken her hair - maybe brown or black instead of red

I think she was fantastic with a blonde hair, but I do like the red hair also. I don't think black would suit her so much.

TheGothicEme

On the Ice
Black could be nice :laugh: she is gonna be Anna Karenina after all :laugh:
Can't say I like the idea of Anna Karenina, but well... we should wait and see.
Oh Zhulin... man up, stop letting Her Majesty The Queen Tarasova keep you :bang: