State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season

flutzy13

On the Ice
Do we have any news on the when the envelopes are announced?

o news as to when the official announcement will be made but the published criteria makes it easy to see who falls where:

TEAM A - TIER 1
Placements 1st - 5th at the 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships- Gold, Abbott, Chock/Bates
Placements 1st - 5th at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games- Davis/White (out for 2014-2015)
2014 U.S. National Senior Champion combined with a top 10 placement at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games or 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships- Castelli/Shnapir (split)

TEAM A - TIER 2
2014 U.S. National Senior Champion
Placements 6th - 10th at the 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships- Wagner, Edmunds, Aaron, Shibs
Placements 6th - 10th at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games-Brown, (Shibs, Edmunds)
Placements 1st - 3rd at the ISU Senior Grand Prix Final in the 2013-14 season
2014 ISU Four Continents Champion- Hubbell/Donohue

TEAM B - TIER 1
Placements 11th and lower at the 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships- Zhang/bartholomay, Aldridge/Eaton
Placements 2nd - 4th in the senior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships- Nagasu, Farris, Denney/Coughlin (retiring?), Scimeca/Knierim
Placements 4th - 6th at the ISU Senior Grand Prix Final in the 2013-14 season
Placements 2nd - 3rd at the 2014 ISU Four Continents Championships- Kayne/O'Shea
Olympic Team and/or World Team 1st Alternate in the 2013-14 season
Champion at any of the six ISU Senior Grand Prix competitions in the 2013-14 season

TEAM B - TIER 2
Placements 2nd - 3rd at any of the six ISU Senior Grand Prix competitions in the 2013-14 season- Rippon
Placements 4th - 6th at the 2014 Four Continents Championships- Hicks, Dornbush, Denney/Frazier
Placement 5th in the senior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships- Cesario,
Champions in the Senior B International competitions in the 2013-14 season combined with a top 10 finish at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships- Donlan/Speroff (split); Cannuscio/McManus
Olympic Team and/or World Team 2nd and 3rd Alternates in the 2013-14 season
2014 ISU World Junior Champion- Hawayek/Baker

TEAM C - TIER 1
Placements 7th - 10th at the 2014 ISU Four Continents Championships-
Placements 6th -7th in the senior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships- Long, Razzano, Miner, Leng/LeDuc (split)
Champions in the Senior B International competitions in the 2013-14 season
Placements 2nd - 3rd at the 2014 ISU World Junior Championships
2014 U.S. Junior Champion- Glenn, N. Chen, Aaron/Settlage
Champion at any of the seven ISU Junior Grand Prix competitions in the 2013-14 season- McNamara/Carpenter, Karen Chen
Placements 1st - 3rd at the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final in the 2013-14 season

TEAM C - TIER 2
Placements 11th and lower at the 2014 ISU Four Continents Championships
Placements 2nd - 3rd in the Senior B International competitions in the 2013-14 season- Cain
Placements 8th in the senior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships- Gao, Olson/Lorello
Placements 4th and lower at the ISU Junior Grand Prix Final in the 2013-14 season- Wang, Parsons/parsons
Placements 4th and lower at the 2014 ISU World Junior Championships- Tyler Pearce, Jordan Moeller, Omori
Placements 2nd - 3rd in the junior events at the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships- Ashley Shin
Placements 2nd - 3rd at any of the seven ISU Junior Grand Prix competitions in the 2013-14 season- Mariah Bell

Missed meeting criteria- Zawadski, Hannah Miller. Consideration to place the athletes in Team C - Tier 2 will be given for senior level skaters placing lower at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships where the event was very strong or the results were very close.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=350

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No news as to when the official announcement will be made but the published criteria makes it easy to see who falls where:

TEAM A - TIER 2
2014 U.S. National Senior Champion
Placements 6th - 10th at the 2014 ISU World Figure Skating Championships- Wagner, Edmunds, Brown, Aaron, Shibs
Placements 6th - 10th at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games-
Placements 1st - 3rd at the ISU Senior Grand Prix Final in the 2013-14 season
2014 ISU Four Continents Champion- Hubbell/Donohue

flutzy, thx for the informative list - covering all four disciplines :).

Pls forgive me for a tiny bit of nitpicking: although still the same envelope, you meant to cite Brown's placement at the Olympics, not at Worlds.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
I think it will be an interesting season for the US ladies! i want to see some girls without Grand Prix events to get senior b's so they get experience too. I love that we have 3 spots for worlds again and 3 seeded skaters for the GP :)

flutzy13

On the Ice
flutzy, thx for the informative list - covering all four disciplines :).

Pls forgive me for a tiny bit of nitpicking: although still the same envelope, you meant to cite Brown's placement at the Olympics, not at Worlds.

You are so welcome- I figured all 4 disciplines was helpful just in the context of how many envelopes were being split between the various categories and seeing what money is falling back into the pool due to splits. And yes, of course you are right and I will edit.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Bumping this thread to note USA GP assignments (in order of nationals placement)

Gracie Gold (S1)- SA, NHK
Polina Edmunds (S2) - COC, NHK
Mirai Nagasu (S3) - SA, RC
Ashley Wagner (S4) - SC, TEB
Samantha Cesario (S5) - TEB
Courtney Hicks (S6) - SC, TEB
Christina Gao (S8) - COC, NHK
Ashley Cain (S12) - COC
Angela Wang (S15)- RC
Vanessa Lam (S20) -RC

No assignments for (out of those who are not retiring/sitting out AFAIK):
Hannah Miller (S9)
Leah Keiser (S10)
Mariah Bell (S13)
Yasmin Siraj (S16)
Franchesca Chiera (S17)
Caroline Zhang (S19)

Some of them are likely to head back to JGP or get senior B's.

Vanessa Lam is a surprise considering her poor results last season. Also surprised Samantha did not get two GP assignments.

There is still a SA TBA. Samantha looks good to get that one I think, though they might wan to spread the wealth.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vanessa Lam getting a GP assignment is so out of the blue considering she's done nothing internationally in almost 3 years and had like one international competition last season. To top it off she finished next to last at Nationals. Not the kind of skater i would think would be deserving of a GP event while many better younger skaters are being left out.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Vanessa Lam getting a GP assignment is so out of the blue considering she's done nothing internationally in almost 3 years and had like one international competition last season. To top it off she finished next to last at Nationals. Not the kind of skater i would think would be deserving of a GP event while many better younger skaters are being left out.
Yes, I really liked her as a Junior, but finishing after Zhang at Nationals is not exactly what you expect from a GP-level skater :slink: (with all due respect to Zhang, but we all know what her current skating level is like)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Amber Glenn is also too young to compete senior internationally, but she will be senior. I don't see her shaking up the standings but maybe will finish top 10.

‏@AmberGlenn_ tweeted about her SP results today at the Cannon Texas Open:
... I did ok.I landed my 3flip3toe and 3Lutz but I made a silly mistake and fell on my double axel.I got a total of 61.79
6:16 PM - 11 Jul 2014
https://twitter.com/AmberGlenn_/status/487767523295653888

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Are Miller, Long and Keiser competing as seniors internationally this season?

I'd say it remains to be seen. The USA's JGP slots are greatly reduced this year. That, and the advent of the Challenger Series, makes me believe at least some of these ladies will opt to go senior and skate in the Challenger Series events.

2A3TMom

Rinkside
Catching up on my reading this morning. I think that the US Senior Ladies is going to be filled with inconsistency, with skaters on and off the podium like a cheap prom dress. In total agreement with the comments about Polina still being coltish. Yes, she has ability, but let's hope that for starters her costumers help her look less childish and more like a "senior" lady. Can't help thinking that the yellow feathers of last season made her look like one of the chicks in the incubators at the state fair. Would really love to see Sam Cesario on the podium o a regular basis. She's a fabulous skater - very passionate and at times provocative - and uses her music/choreo very well to promote her program's PoV. Don't really know what USFS is seeing in Ashley Cain - what's this move to SCoNY all about, anyway?? IMO nothing more than a quintessential ice princess with an excuse for every misstep. Mirai might still have enough juice to knock a couple of competitions out of the park in her favor. Have to tell you, her James Bond free skate at Nationals was incredible. If she can channel that kind of energy and passion and remember how supportive the audience was back in January, she could be a real surprise this season. Isn't she doing some training in CO? She'd be great with Brian Orser or Yuka Sato if she's willing to relocate. Still wondering if Christina Gao will show up this season. My all event ticket for Nationals was just behind "Kiss and Cry" and she was a total mess at the end of that free skate. She also had rows of kinesio tape all over her. Can't help wondering exactly how injured she was last season and if she has healed? As far as Gracie Gold is concerned, if Frank can work to keep her new found ego in check and work ethic on her plate, she could further develop her presentation and find herself in a good position come January 2015. As far as Ms. Wagner is concerned, perhaps it is time to step aside. USFS gave her the chance last season that she wanted for the Olympic Team, and quite frankly (again IMO), she squandered it. There are so many youngsters just waiting for the door to open...Francesca Chiera, for one, who is entering her second season as a Senior Lady, and certainly a host of talented junior ladies who still have a month to test to Senior for the qualifying season. USFS will have much to watch over the next two years, to be sure.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Polina is coltish and dresses funny---but she can and did land SEVEN triples in her Worlds FS at first try and is a seeded skater in the GP this year. Ashley Cain is a headscratcher ---- but she did beat Mirai Nagasu at Broadmoor. Mirai Nagasu had a decent James Bond FS at Nationals ---- but did it with an expressionless face and was gasping for air at the end (I was in the front row). Wagner should step aside after her excellent performances at Sochi and Worlds? Who would have done better? Certainly not Mirai after her disastrous 4CC! If Ashley can continue to outperform the other ladies she has no reason to retire.

Skategmt

On the Ice
I think that after 2015 Worlds, Ashley is going to retire. I think she technically can keep up with the up and coming Russian and American ladies, but I think the judges will score them higher than her in the artistic side of the scores. I think Gracie will win nationals again, Polina will finish second, Glenn third, and Wagner fourth.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I think that after 2015 Worlds, Ashley is going to retire. I think she technically can keep up with the up and coming Russian and American ladies, but I think the judges will score them higher than her in the artistic side of the scores. I think Gracie will win nationals again, Polina will finish second, Glenn third, and Wagner fourth.

2016 Worlds is in Boston so I doubt she'd retire before then, I actually think the opposite of you, her tech content is not up to par, a lot of the younger girls have much better spins and consistent 3-3s, Ashley is much better at connecting with her audience and selling her programs in my opinion. If the younger girls are consistent, their PCs will naturally go up but Ashley's can too.

Selene

On the Ice
2016 Worlds is in Boston so I doubt she'd retire before then, I actually think the opposite of you, her tech content is not up to par, a lot of the younger girls have much better spins and consistent 3-3s, Ashley is much better at connecting with her audience and selling her programs in my opinion. If the younger girls are consistent, their PCs will naturally go up but Ashley's can too.

I agree. I expect Ashley to slide down the national and international rankings. Technically, she cannot compete with Polina Edmunds or the Russian girls. Her jumps (URs and no real 3-3 combo), spins and footwork are not up to par.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I do think that Ashley really performs well and brings that level of maturity and polish that some of the younger girls lack; but unfortunately for her, nearly all of the younger girls have caught up to/surpassed her in terms of PCS (Julia, Adelina, Gold, even Anna), which wasn't the case last season until after the GPF. That was the one thing she had over some of the younger skaters and now, I feel as though that advantage is gone which means she doesn't have any wiggle room. She's got to be perfect and even if she is, all of the Russians and both Gold and Edmunds can outscore her technically.

Ashley's in a really tough place. I think she can still medal or place top 5 but I think her days of standing on a major podium (GPF, possibly 4CC, worlds) are over at this point. The field is even more stacked than it was this past quad. Mao, Carolina and Yu-Na ruled the last quad; in this upcoming quad we have Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Radionova, Gold, Pogorilaya, and now Edmunds. The competition is twice as deep as it was a year ago. I really think Ashley missed her shot at a world medal back in 2012 when she placed 4th. Barring some rather epic meltdowns from at least 3 of those girls, I don't see Ashley making it to the world podium. Nationally, she can can still medal (for now), but internationally I think the judges will start to lowball her given the competition she's up against.

The level of talent has gone over her head at this point. I do want her to continue to compete and skate well...I just hope that she's being realistic about her chances when it comes to winning the bigger titles...

R.D.

Record Breaker
We shall see about Wagner (and everyone else for that matter). The odds are stacked immensely against her and I agree with those who all but say she is finished. However, if anyone has the resolve to turn things around, it is her. We see what she did in 2012, so if she puts her mind to it, who knows what can happen. But another thing working against her is time. Athletes only have a limited window in which they can put out their highest performance. Age and mileage (the number of years skated), so to speak. Even the most reliable of cars eventually shows its age and begins to break down.

The most recent case study, of course, is Czisny. I usually shy away from suggesting that skaters should retire, as it is ultimately their choice. Wagner has managed to avoid major injury for almost 8 years, but if she continues to 2018, especially considering where she wants to go, and what the top skaters are doing now - I think one is inevitable, unfortunately...Not wishing it on her, of course, but it's gonna be tough to put it mildly.

If Wagner remains healthy this season, this may be it - her last chance to make something happen. Because after this year, the new generation kicks in and the tech bar will be raised even higher.