State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season | Page 4 | Golden Skate

State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thanks, Samson, for the impressions of Stars on Ice!

I agree with Desertskates: Ashley exudes power, Polina exudes happiness, but I'm not quite sure what Gracie is going for at this point. I like Ashley's style the most, but she'll need technical help going forward. Especially since the ISU seems to be taking the route of "punishing underrotations/downgrades/edges more" instead of punishing falls more. But I don't think Ashley is a has-been if she's determined to continue, since the other US women have not stepped up either at this point.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, same thing was happening in regards to Gold vs. Wagner last year. I recall Gold was considered by many (including myself) to be our best shot even though at that point she had not yet beaten Wagner. But it wasn't a matter of if, but when that would happen.

I do not feel that way about Gold vs. Edmunds, however. Edmunds is still on the rise, but she has a bit of growing up to do, and who knows if she can keep her technical skills up/remain injury free through it all. At least on the international/world scale, Edmunds has yet to really break through the way Gold has. A solid skate by Edmunds cannot yet beat clean (or even flawed) Gold. The only reason Wagner had the edge over Gold for a year is because the latter was literally all over the place. But now that Gold has pulled it together (somewhat....), she's the new #1. The issue with Edmunds is not so much consistency as it is just "not being there yet". Different situation IMO.

Now, it COULD happen - Edmunds surpassing Gold for #1 - especially if the latter ends up going through post-Oly slump, but I wouldn't be willing to bet on it like the Gold/Wagner situation. More variables involved this time. If Edmunds can still do 2 3-3s at 18/19, then I'll believe it.
Yes, that's how I feel, too! :yes:

gettinglow

Match Penalty
Gracie exudes the components broken down to their finest in elemental form. Sadly, when combined, all those lustrous elements have a hard time forming a cohesive, sensible package. I think the judges like her because a) she's classy and pretty in a very American, western way and b) it's clear she has some sort of inherent talent. However, if she continues to fall apart under pressure or not really connect with her music in an organic, elegant way, they will turn on her and she may end up being the girl that could have been but never was.

Ashley is fire without a lot of talent.

Polina is a little kid.

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
Gracie exudes the components broken down to their finest in elemental form. Sadly, when combined, all those lustrous elements have a hard time forming a cohesive, sensible package. I think the judges like her because a) she's classy and pretty in a very American, western way and b) it's clear she has some sort of inherent talent. However, if she continues to fall apart under pressure or not really connect with her music in an organic, elegant way, they will turn on her and she may end up being the girl that could have been but never was.

Ashley is fire without a lot of talent.

Polina is a little kid.

I think the longer Gracie is with Frank and Lori the better chance they have to turn her into the total skating package.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Sadly don't expect programs that show Gracie's personality with Frank coaching her. He and Lori will stick her with pretty princess music yet again instead of something that can both show off her personality and power.

Her choreographer are Zueva and Epstein not Lori.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F7UFv1jZ5A

Alissa Czisny trying comeback.. nice choreo includes a 3T!!! good for her!

wow, I know she is trying to comeback but the magic is gone. What happened? her artistry is not there. another good skater trying to be feminine but little connection to the music and this is an exhibition. I am kind of surprised she is still in demand now that Gracie, Polina and Ashley are around not to mention mira too.

desertskates

Medalist
I also have a feeling that Gracie's short program will stick around. She only used it 3 times, so why not. The music is lovely, and the program can develop into something truly special with a bit more time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
wow, I know she is trying to comeback but the magic is gone. What happened? her artistry is not there. another good skater trying to be feminine but little connection to the music and this is an exhibition. I am kind of surprised she is still in demand now that Gracie, Polina and Ashley are around not to mention mira too.

From the SOI video, Alissa seems to be a lot heavier than she was in her competition days, and it makes her skating rather clunky. She turns 27 next month--considering her injury, a comeback seems unlikely. Even if she got all her jumps back, IMO she will never again be competitive with the current top ladies.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai has always done well with exhibition programs. It's executing all the jumps in a competitive program (especially in the FS) and at the same time relating to the music that is a problem for her. She just can't seem to do both.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
From the SOI video, Alissa seems to be a lot heavier than she was in her competition days, and it makes her skating rather clunky. She turns 27 next month--considering her injury, a comeback seems unlikely. Even if she got all her jumps back, IMO she will never again be competitive with the current top ladies.

I actually prefer her with a bit more weight. She does seem clunky but I never found her skating to be all that relaxed. I would not like to see her comeback competitively, but only because she is doing long term damage to her body by doing so after these injuries.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I also have a feeling that Gracie's short program will stick around. She only used it 3 times, so why not. The music is lovely, and the program can develop into something truly special with a bit more time.
True, but she skated it clean all three times, so I think she's pretty satisfied with it and doesn't want to break the "magic program" magic ;) But, who knows? After all, a lot of sketars kept/went back to really successful programs without being able to skate them again at their best (Michelle's Rachmaninoff or Miki's Firebird for example)

R.D.

Record Breaker
From the SOI video, Alissa seems to be a lot heavier than she was in her competition days, and it makes her skating rather clunky.

Disagree. Actually she is closer to a healthy weight now, looked too skinny before.

As for being "clunky", well that's not the word I would use/describe. But for some reason she seems to be a "TV skater", that is, comes across better on TV than live. I recall her being good in SOI but not memorable. OTOH, Nagasu, who showed no life at all 4 years ago, was one of the highlights (2nd performance). Nagasu can be good when she wants to be...

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Mirai has always done well with exhibition programs. It's executing all the jumps in a competitive program (especially in the FS) and at the same time relating to the music that is a problem for her. She just can't seem to do both.

It will be interesting to see. I don't think any program given to her in the quad suited her. Adams programs seem to have a nice effect on her.

desertskates

Medalist
On the topic of American ladies, Ashley and Polina have birthdays this week: Ashley on Friday, Polina on Sunday. May they both have a lot of fun and success in their 23rd and 16th years. And maybe a fun little SOI party :yay:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
What about Gao? Last year she took the year off from school to concentrate on the Olympics... Will she be around next season?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
What about Gao? Last year she took the year off from school to concentrate on the Olympics... Will she be around next season?

I don't think she's made any announcements yet. She may decide to continue. Christina skated better when her attention was divided b/w skating and school (the 2012-2013 season). Last year when she focused solely on skating the results were not that great.

If she decides to come back for another year, I think she should stick to the school-and-skate formula. It worked pretty well for her. Truth be told, I'm not sure how much farther she can go at this point. With all of the new talent coming up, I don't know exactly where she'll fit in or if the judges will even give her room to fit in. Like so many of the other US veterans, she's fighting against the tide of new girls entering the senior ranks.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Do we have any news on the when the envelopes are announced?