State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

State of US Ladies in skating III: 2014-15 Season

b-man

Final Flight
USFS requirement that you have a coach. No, her dad is not on the approved list. She will also need to be monitored.

She can always use Galina Barinova in a pinch. She apparently is on the approved list and has brought nothing but good performances for Mirai.

Country
Russia
Gracie was very nervous, but let's face it, that was the worst possible spot, ending the competition.
Yes, her spot in FS was worst for her.
But because she skated just after clean Anna's skating. No matter was Gracie last or second in warm-up.
It made Gracie more nervous.

Pogo, who has to be the most expressionless skater I've seen in a long time.
Somebody is blind.
You?
Or 18000 spectators with their standing ovation?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Y

Somebody is blind.
You?
Or 18000 spectators with their standing ovation?

ALL the skaters in the final group got standing ovations. Anna got hers for turning in a technically clean program.
But of the ladies who skated in the final group, Anna got the lowest PCS score, so the judges agree with me.
She had lots of speed, but not much in the way of character or relation to the music.

Country
Russia

R.D.

Record Breaker
Getting back on topic, which US woman do you think has the most potential to surprise?

Tutto

Record Breaker
Getting back on topic, which US woman do you think has the most potential to surprise?

Polina, I think if it is a correct way to reply to your question as she already has surprised us. I really look forward to watching her in the next season. She's got technical ability, musicality and composure and I like her balletic lines which God knows how does she manages that within this awkward frame of hers at the moment.

I really hope that Gracie would change her style next season. As of now: she is so nice, her programs are so nice, her outfits are so nice - what missing is personality, distinctive style, wow factor. I think her Sleeping Beauty lp was totally wrong for her, I actually made my mind about Gracie that she would never impress me and then I saw her in the Olympic Gala and thought wow this girl can be so different! Chicago or something similar could bring much more personality and the style really suits her.

Country
Russia
I believe, Polina Edmunds, at season 2015/2016.

Ashley Wagner may become No 3 of Team USA at season 2014/2015.

Gracie Gold will be very good if will be more stable and earn more personality (she was "not as others", but now looks as "standard US lady skater") .

Karen Chen? She may be very good at 2015/2016 (or 2016/2017), but may repeat way of Caroline Zhang.
Nobody knows.

concorde

Medalist
My 2014/2015 predictions for the US ladies:

Gracie stays #1. She medals at Worlds (3rd).
Polina closes the gap on Gracie. She remains the #2 US lady; but by 2015/2016, she will be the #1 US lady.
Ashley struggles to keep #3 - it will not surprise me if she goes sinks lower. I expect she will retire in the next year or so.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I don't think there's anyone coming up in Juniors that will surprise a la Polina this year. I think some people may be surprised by Polina winning a GP and her pCS rising majorly even if there's no marked difference in her skating.

I think Ashley will actually have a fantastic season and a much better Nationals with the pressure of being US #1 and getting three spots no longer squarely on her. I don't think USFS will be all that quick to dump her either as she's shown she can bring in sponsors. What USFS really needs are personalities the public responds to and she is probably #1 there.

I think Gracie will have an up and down fall, lose her National title and then medal at Worlds.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina, I think if it is a correct way to reply to your question as she already has surprised us. I really look forward to watching her in the next season. She's got technical ability, musicality and composure and I like her balletic lines which God knows how does she manages that within this awkward frame of hers at the moment.

I really hope that Gracie would change her style next season. As of now: she is so nice, her programs are so nice, her outfits are so nice - what missing is personality, distinctive style, wow factor. I think her Sleeping Beauty lp was totally wrong for her, I actually made my mind about Gracie that she would never impress me and then I saw her in the Olympic Gala and thought wow this girl can be so different! Chicago or something similar could bring much more personality and the style really suits her.

Sadly don't expect programs that show Gracie's personality with Frank coaching her. He and Lori will stick her with pretty princess music yet again instead of something that can both show off her personality and power.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Gold vs. Wagner is definitely something to continue to keep a close eye on. Wagner seemed to be getting the upper hand at first, drawing from her experience and consistency. Now things appear to be in Gold's favor. I said before (when Wagner was on top) that if Gold ever started gaining consistency, Wagner would be done as US #1 and that has panned out. It remains to be seen if Wagner can swing the pendulum back in her direction, but IMO it's VERY telling that at Worlds, Wagner with a knockout FS (and her SP wasn't even bad) still couldn't make up enough ground to catch up to a sub-par Gold. How times change, huh?

I also said that once Gold passed Wagner (it wasn't a matter of if, but when), Gold would not look back. I don't think Wagner will ever beat Gold again unless the latter has a complete meltdown (definitely possible :slink: ) or gets injured. Having said that, 2015 Nats will be interesting because Gold will be defending champ and could buckle under the pressure, which may open the door for Edmunds, or Nagasu, or one of the up-and-comers, or Wagner if she's healthy.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gold vs. Wagner is definitely something to continue to keep a close eye on. Wagner seemed to be getting the upper hand at first, drawing from her experience and consistency. Now things appear to be in Gold's favor. I said before (when Wagner was on top) that if Gold ever started gaining consistency, Wagner would be done as US #1 and that has panned out. It remains to be seen if Wagner can swing the pendulum back in her direction, but IMO it's VERY telling that at Worlds, Wagner with a knockout FS (and her SP wasn't even bad) still couldn't make up enough ground to catch up to a sub-par Gold. How times change, huh?

I also said that once Gold passed Wagner (it wasn't a matter of if, but when), Gold would not look back. I don't think Wagner will ever beat Gold again unless the latter has a complete meltdown (definitely possible :slink: ) or gets injured. Having said that, 2015 Nats will be interesting because Gold will be defending champ and could buckle under the pressure, which may open the door for Edmunds, or Nagasu, or one of the up-and-comers, or Wagner if she's healthy.

That error in the SP was super costly, however. She lost 4.2 points at least in BV + GOE. If she just got the BV of the 3F-3T or heck, even the 3F-2T with +GOE, she would have passed Gracie easily for 5th.

Also Ashley still left points on the table in the FS with a 2A-3T< and a 3F<-2T-2T.

I think Gracie has more of the goods to stay No. 1, but one can't underestimate a hungry Ashley either.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Also Ashley still left points on the table in the FS with a 2A-3T< and a 3F<-2T-2T.

I must say though - I thought those calls were a bit harsh. Probably should have/would have gotten the BOTD with a more lenient caller. But at least he was consistent (giving everyone a similar level of scrutiny).

I think Gracie has more of the goods to stay No. 1, but one can't underestimate a hungry Ashley either.

It feels so weird because I was one of the few that DIDN'T count her out back in 2011 - I figured she'd come back and had a strange gut feeling that 2012 would be her year (still didn't anticipate her finishing 4th at Worlds though!) ... however, I'm not getting the same feeling for 2015. Perhaps because she is older and has had several good performances behind her. I still wonder if there's something left in the tank before the fuel runs out (or the car breaks down). Having said that, if there IS something left in her, and she can build up from this season, next season might be a very great opportunity for her (assuming some retirements take place).

LRK

Record Breaker
Sadly don't expect programs that show Gracie's personality with Frank coaching her. He and Lori will stick her with pretty princess music yet again instead of something that can both show off her personality and power.

I agree with this. I found it especially telling when, after her Olympic team FP, she actually showed some fire and feeling after her performance - and Frank came down on her like a ton of bricks for it. I think he prefers the classical, cool, ice princess, who rarely - if ever - shows any unseemly & unladylike emotion.

(This became most clear to me, when somebody suggested that Gabrielle Daleman should go to Frank, and my immediate internal reaction was: "Oh, no!" - because I think he'd try to kill the fire and exuberance that are so fetching about her. But this is OT, of course.)

On another note...
About Mirai - why can't she name Mura her coach? Is there any problem that prevents her from training there full time?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I hope not. She has a lot more in her than pretty princess classical bs, especially when she matures. I'd love to see her tackle something with attitude (and not necessarily a tango, since that seems to be the default "attitude" program for skaters).

desertskates

Medalist
I mentioned a piece of music like Michelle Kwan's 1996 Taj Mahal as a program idea for Anna Pogorilaya in another thread, but wouldn't it be interesting to see Gracie take that route? A little bit of attitude might be a good look for her, as the pwetty pwincess could grow old quite quickly.

StylishDreaming

Rinkside
It remains to be seen if Wagner can swing the pendulum back in her direction, but IMO it's VERY telling that at Worlds, Wagner with a knockout FS (and her SP wasn't even bad) still couldn't make up enough ground to catch up to a sub-par Gold. How times change, huh?

Ashley's performance at Worlds wasn't completely ideal either (especially not the SP), and I don't agree that the only way she'll have a shot at the national title is if Gracie falters. Ashley has that determination to "prove her doubters wrong", if you will, which has been a recurring source of motivation throughout her career. I think without the pressures of the last Nationals she'll give Gracie a run for her money in 2015.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
I think next year shall be quite interesting.

I would like to see Polina become the #1 US skater during this quad. Not next year but as she builds up her way to the Medals. We may have a strong competitor in her.

I really want Ashley to become a 3-time US Champion. We have not had one of those in a while, which would be cool.
I like her lively performance qualities as she demonstrated at 2014 Worlds in the Long Program. They really got into it.

We shall see what the skaters bring to the table for next season.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I think next year shall be quite interesting.

I would like to see Polina become the #1 US skater during this quad. Not next year but as she builds up her way to the Medals. We may have a strong competitor in her.

I really want Ashley to become a 3-time US Champion. We have not had one of those in a while, which would be cool.
I like her lively performance qualities as she demonstrated at 2014 Worlds in the Long Program. They really got into it.

We shall see what the skaters bring to the table for next season.

I think Ashley could recapture the title if Gracie falters under pressure. If both are clean, Gracie will come out on top but that's no guarantee.

fairly4

Medalist
like how you do the write up but only american ladies. seem to need to work things out.

you leave out state of russian ladies, state of japanese ladies, state of candian ladies.

why. you degrade the u.s. ladies when you do this. it implies they are only country that needs to work out kinks. instead of the other country.

when in fact gracie was underscored at worlds despite her fall, misstep. she should have scored at least 130. like julia did for a fall. they should have only took off 8 points from a 140 which would have given her a 132.

despite fall she should have finished ahead of anna.

they score the other countries skaters too high for mistakes and take off too much for the u.s laides.