Future of Korean Skating | Golden Skate

Future of Korean Skating

cooper

Medalist
both so youn and kim jinseo did well in this year's world championship.. now that yuna is officially done..the biggest question is how will korean skating survive.. so youn and kim jinseo arrived at the airport yesterday.. so youn said her goal is to get in the podium in pyeongchang while kim jinseo said the he will try to develop a quad.. and i know hae jin is struggling this season.. and there are good junior skaters finishing both in the top ten at this year's world junior championship in the ladies..

personally it's up to the korean skating union.. how they will develop in the next season/years just in time for south korea hosting the games..i know their skating needs improvement.. and only time can tell..

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:popcorn: I for one am glad to see more skaters coming up. Park needs more competitions because while I was looking her up she doesn't have enough to push her rankings up without some good placements. She is the one to watch. I hope though she separates herself from being an exact replica of Yuna. That may prove to backfire because let's face it there is only one Yuna. If she can get some originality and hold on to perform consistently for the next few years she may just become one of my favorites. It's kinda premature now but:popcorn: worthy for sure!!

cooper

Medalist
^so youn's biggest problem is her consistency.. aside from her overall skating needs improvement.. she needs to built a reputation for herself..the good news is she put 2 clean LP performances this year, the korean nationals and the world championship.. so.. she's capable.. now that korea earned 2 spots in the ladies in the grand prix.. this is her chance and maybe hae jin..

fingers crossed..

s_parks

Record Breaker
The problem is the lack of ice rinks/skating time in Korea, rather than lack of ability that's for sure. I'd hate to see promising, talented young skaters go to waste. The Koreans did pretty well at junior worlds, finishing 6 and 10th in ladies, and 6th in ice dance. I actually think kim/minov are promising, they improved immensely from last season and at any rate I'm glad they train in Russia, not Korea.

cooper

Medalist
The problem is the lack of ice rinks/skating time in Korea, rather than lack of ability that's for sure. I'd hate to see promising, talented young skaters go to waste. The Koreans did pretty well at junior worlds, finishing 6 and 10th in ladies, and 6th in ice dance. I actually think kim/minov are promising, they improved immensely from last season and at any rate I'm glad they train in Russia, not Korea.

there was news about building an ice rink in 2015.. but i don't want to be optimistic because korean officials are known for promises.. to do this and that..

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^completely agree. I'm really glad for this thread because I still have at least one more week of couch rehab for a busted knee and will start looking up the other skaters you mentioned which I'll shamefully admit I know little about besides their names. I'm American but love all cultures and skaters. I have two close friends that i don't want to mention their names ,so I stay anonymous, who are making a run at 2018 and if I go I'd love to see and know everyone involved!

cooper

Medalist
i hope they can develop their pairs as well.. now they have an ice dance team..

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
From what I see, I believe Korean girls are trained very well, especially judging from their skating skills and presentations. They are from the very beginning trained to be complete skaters.