What's next for Patrick Chan? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What's next for Patrick Chan?

lbc2138

On the Ice
lol really? i feel like figure skating is slowly killing him inside

As much as I like to believe that he is receiving a lot of love from Canadian fans, I've also seen the dark-side in which a lot of Canadians thought he choked. I wonder if he would be able to handle the pressure if he pulls a Yuna and after taking a break, decides to come back to compete. Then again, there is young talent besides Yuzu, that can develop in the meantime.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
As much as I like to believe that he is receiving a lot of love from Canadian fans, I've also seen the dark-side in which a lot of Canadians thought he choked.

i'm canadian - i'd say most canadians thought he choked. the papers here in toronto the day after the long were VICIOUS. it would've been one thing if he skated clean and still lost but he pretty emphatically gave that gold medal away.

and no i don't think he'll be able to handle the pressure like yuna.......this is patrick chan we're talking about are you goddamn kidding me

m0001

On the Ice
i'm canadian - i'd say most canadians thought he choked. the papers here in toronto the day after the long were VICIOUS. it would've been one thing if he skated clean and still lost but he pretty emphatically gave that gold medal away.

and no i don't think he'll be able to handle the pressure like yuna.......this is patrick chan we're talking about are you goddamn kidding me

What do you mean "most Canadians"? Was there a poll? Shame on those who blamed him for not winning gold. I'm also a Canadian. Who else in Canada could bring two silvers back?

lbc2138

On the Ice

I guess I have a little bit too much faith in him then. I wasn't saying he could handle the pressure like Yuna. I was just saying if he was going to pull a Yuna in terms of taking a break during the GP series and just come back at Nationals.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
What do you mean "most Canadians"? Was there a poll?

most canadians as in a general feeling i got talking to people, reading the snide headlines in the papers, listening to the palpable disappointment from tv broadcasters etc.

Who else in Canada could bring two silvers back?

well virtue/moir for one. and they did it skating clean which is infinitely preferable to a silver falling on your face. there is a difference between winning silver and having the gold medal in your hands and gifting it to hanyu which is essentially what chiddy did lbr

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Chan could win GP events with one leg strapped behind his back.

How do you know that. Remember he didnt compete at worlds this year so would have to face a top 3 seed at any event. Hanyu and Fernandez are obviously very capable of beating him. Hanyu would be favored to for the time being anyway in fact. Machida is less certain, but based on his skating at worlds he would have some chance of beating inconsistent Chan in a head to head too.

Of course he could win grand prixs but it wouldnt be the cakewalk you potray now that he no longer would be a top seed.

kresslia

Medalist
Agreed. Combining school and skating at the highest level simply isnt possible anymore. A few used to do it, but that was in the days skating did not have the crazy technical demands it does today. Arakawa never got higher than 8th in the world until she graduated, and then began winning big titles at the end of her career when able to focus on skating. We all see how well Flatt did combining school with skating.

I will be VERY surprised if he is back, and that has nothing to do with my not being a fan of his. For the sake of Canadian men I wish he would be back as I have a feeling the Canadian press might ruin Nguyen if he isnt for another year or two anyway, but there is no reason objectively to believe him likely coming back at all.
lmao the media is already starting to put the pressure on poor Nam by calling him the next PChiddy. The Brian Orser attachment only elevates it. The Canadian media is OBSESSED with finding the next big male skater.

moviechick

On the Ice
lmao the media is already starting to put the pressure on poor Nam by calling him the next PChiddy. The Brian Orser attachment only elevates it. The Canadian media is OBSESSED with finding the next big male skater.

Can't you guys just take back Bieber to have something else to talk about.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Yes and if Chan doesnt come back it will be even worse, and sooner than he can realistically handle it (if Chan comes back and leaves again after say the 2016 season, atleast he might be further along by then). That is why I said for that reason alone I would prefer Chan to come back, but I still highly doubt he will. Nguyen will for sure be overhyped, overpromoted, and overpressured by a clueless Skate Canada organization and the media, when in reality he isnt even better than someone like Kevin Reynolds YET (of course his long term potential is light years beyond Reynold's).

Yeah, I hope for Nam's sake Patrick comes back. If Kevin got back his jump consistency then maybe he could pull some of the pressure off Nam but after this season I don't know...

fruitbasket

Rinkside
i think 2014 olympic disapointment... he sure need to take break..off one season and come back with a strong fit both physically and mentally.

lbc2138

On the Ice
i think 2014 olympic disapointment... he sure need to take break..off one season and come back with a strong fit both physically and mentally.

I personally think it would be harder to come back from a disappointment than to take a break after a win.

Who knows? It doesn't seem like he wants to stop any time soon, the matter is when he's coming back into the game. What if everyone starts putting (God forbid) 3 quads into their program?

StellaCampo

On the Ice
I hope Patrick will come back. If he finishes his career now, it seems very incomplete. He has unfinished business with Hanyu: Patrick at his best can still beat Hanyu, I think. He is not even as old as Machida.

lbc2138

On the Ice
I hope Patrick will come back. If he finishes his career now, it seems very incomplete. He has unfinished business with Hanyu: Patrick at his best can still beat Hanyu, I think. He is not even as old as Machida.

That all depends on the structure of his program in terms of beating Yuzuru. Of course this if both are skating cleanly. By next year, I'm sure Yuzu will probably have landed the 2+ quads in addition to his high valued axel combinations. If Chan can get around his mental block with the axels, then maybe. But PCS isn't going to save Patrick anymore, looks like the judges have found a new favorite.

hurrah

Medalist
Patrick would need to master another quad and a halfway reliable triple-axel to be a very strong contender for the gold medal. It's not just Yuzu that he has to worry about but Javier as well. If he comes back, he would still be a podium contender, of course, but would need for these two to make mistakes to win the gold medal.

Also, Patrick is, let's face it, below average in terms of mental strength in his capacity as an elite figure skater. But I hope for this very reason that he will come back to overcome his own mental demon, just like Brian Joubert and Jeremy Abbot did. These skaters didn't win medals in their final outing but I found their performances to be memorable and inspiring.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
It would be great if Patrick will be back, but as hurrah mentioned, time is running forward, and he will need another type of quad, and working 3 axel to fight with Yuzu and I think also Javier. Yuzuru will be propably landing both quads consistently next season as he landed it at worlds where he couldn't fail it. And he will build on that experience.
I don't know really. For sure he will be podium contender, but wins... I don't know.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Machida and Javi now also have the 90s PCS like Chan, it's not just Hanyu his only rival anymore. Not to mention Dennis Ten. Men field is so touch right now. And PChan's mental strength is not known to be his highlight.

Knowing what Hanyu did to success this year, I am afraid that next years all the men would likely to put 3-4 quads in their programs, especially youngsters who have just entered the senior world. Certainly, I have no problem with people throwing out their quads, but the jumps SHOULD be just some highlight parts of the program, not the center of it. It's not all about the jumps. At this rate, we will have lots of jumping machine with ugly jumps and robotic movements in the near future.

So of course, I hope PChan will be back as soon as possible. To put back the balance. To show people that transition and movement on ice is important, not moving on air. Jumps are good, I like it when people land beautiful jumps, but if you pay attention too much to the jumps, then the rest should forget about art and skating already, it's not ice skating anymore, it's jump competition.