What's next for Patrick Chan? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

What's next for Patrick Chan?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I liked it up until the point where the winner did become obvious haha.

LOL, the winner and standings were obvious before the final day of events.

Russia 47 points (ice dance was likely 8 points, ladies was likely 8+ points with Lip over Osmond/Marchei, men was likely 7+ points with Plu over Parkinson): minimum 70 points.

Canada 41 points: with those minimum scores that Russia would have achieved, to beat Russia, they would have needed to win all 3 events to surpass Russia with 71 points. Reynolds was a surprise and should have won the men, but no way Osmond would win women's or V/M would win ice dance if D/W skated clean.

USA 34 points: to beat Canada, with D/W likely 1st and V/M likely 2nd in dance, they would have had to gain 7 points (to lead Canada, 6 points to tie) in ladies/men -- which only could have happened if Gracie 1st+Osmond 5th and if Reynolds placed 4th+Jason placed 1st in the team FS (Reynolds was guaranteed to be above Parkinson).

The only nailbiter was whether Japan or Italy would be 4th. :rolleye:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
@CanadianSkaterGuy - Idk about how it is in Russia, but I think that Julia Lipniskaia is much more popular and famous than Adelina outside of Russia. If you ask the general public who they remember, they'll remember Julia. She was all over Buzzfeed and the major news outlets after her team event, and there was a surge of interest in FS after her performances.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Lipnitskaya is far more respected anywhere but Russia than Sotnikova is today. I am sure she is quite happy having a completely uncontroversial and well earned Olympic Gold (which btw you can say she single handedly won as her huge points margin on the Canadian ladies entry was the winning margin) which made her the darling of the worldwide media and skating fans (something as for Sotnikova :laugh: ), her European title, and her world silver, than Sotnikova who only has her historically controversialy Olympic Gold which brings her more ridicule and disgust from the skating world, and the exterior world outside Russia, than respect and honor. I sure as heck would not want to be Sotnikova rather than Lipnitskaya right now if I were given a choice.

Both are huge heroes for life in Russia, which is more is an arbitrary point essentialy. Lipnitskaya though is a star and highly respected champion outside Russia. Sotnikova only is for as long as she stays within Russian boundaries.

Come to think of it, it's a good thing Julia bombed in the individual event, because if she didn't, she could have won and people would hate her for that. Now it's Sonitkova who have to suffer all that hate.

moviechick

On the Ice
If Julia had skated very well in the individual and won the gold, I don't think she would've suffered the same backlash as Sotnikova though, who not only had to deal with the accusations of sketchy Russian home advantage but was also the random girl most people had never even heard of until she won (which just compounds how strange the result was). The media was already in love with Julia and hyping her up as a OGM favorite after her breakout team performance. Sure, the hardcore FS fans probably would've still complained but the mainstream would've absolutely loved Julia as the Olympic champ so long as she skated well.

moviechick

On the Ice
Julia also has a memorable program (possible THE program of the Olympics for casual viewers even) and a star quality that made her a sensation. While she certainly has weaknesses, they wouldn't have been obvious at all to a casual audience and her programs are so well-packaged to showcase her wow factors. On the other hand, I think Sotnikova's program looked mediocre even to the most casual viewer.

L_Canada

Rinkside
I don't know who I felt more sorry for, Patrick, Elvis or Curt. They all bombed at the Olympics when they were the favorites and should have won. Patrick will recoup and move on just like the others did.

Elvis did not bomb. 1994 skated his best, personally I believed he was robbed, but that's in the past. 1998 was injured, still skated pretty well considering and got Silver. The one thing Elvis always had going for him was his consistency. If we put his consistency together with Patrick's everything else I think we would have a pretty perfect skater lol.

Elvis should not be put into the "bombed" category with Kurt and Patrick. I agree they both bombed!

jcsamex

Rinkside
How is this yet another thread about bashing on Sotnikova? Jeez, people.... Let it go already!

On another note, I really hope Patrick keeps skating as I think he still is the most well rounded skater out there.

anyanka

Record Breaker
How is this yet another thread about bashing on Sotnikova? Jeez, people.... Let it go already!

On another note, I really hope Patrick keeps skating as I think he still is the most well rounded skater out there.

THANK YOU. I thought "do we need to drag that into EVERY single thread???"

Esopian

Final Flight
I don't think all Japanese guys are humble. Machida, for example, is not humble at all. Before GPF he said he wants to win 2018 Olympic gold medal. After Worlds he said he will grab the gold medal from Yuzru at next Worlds.

Sorry for bringing a topic from a few pages ago to the current page, but I literally laughed when I read this comment.

Machida was probably taking the golden opportunity at the Worlds 2014 interview session to proclaim his long-term goals (for next year) . He knows his score was raised when because of Japanflanation, and it won't happen again unless a major (non-national) competition is held in Japan.

Onto the real topic -as a Canadian, there was so much hype about Patrick during Vancouver 2010 and the general audience who didn't know much about figure skating did cheer him on. There were even water bottles with him on it as an illustrated design gifted with happy meals at Macdonald's. Two silver medals are great and at this point it's about his mentality.

He doesn't seem to be a humble type of guy by nature, always mentioning 'I'm going to be the best I can be' (not that it's a bad thing), but the ads for 2014 Sochi games were too much. The campaign for Patrick to "go for gold" went too far and this pressured him. Each ad had him mentioning how he was going to "be perfect" or "close to perfect", which came to a point where it became heavily unrealistic. :rolleye:

If Patrick overcomes his mentality, coming back into the scene wouldn't be a problem. The real problem is if he can actually do that.

Meoima

Match Penalty
If Patrick overcomes his mentality, coming back into the scene wouldn't be a problem. The real problem is if he can actually do that.

I am so sorry for Patrick, I hope he will made up his mind and come back. He is still the most all-rounded skater out there. He would bring balance to the field if he skates at his best mentality.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh Sotnitkova is probably now known to many non Russians, but more in a Tonya Harding type way. The kind you hear her name and you either roll your eyes, crack a joke, just laugh, or run. Lipnitskaya charmed much of the world and will be remembered in many countries and by almost all skating fans as that cute little Russian girl that took Team Russia to gold, along with compiling her other impressive feats.

Exactly. It couldnt have worked out better for Julia. The only way it could have been any better is if Kostner didnt skate well, and they gifted her the bronze even with her mistakes which nobody would care about too much. Why on earth would she want the Olympic singles gold that makes Sotnikova a pariah in the sport now, especialy when she already has her own highly celebrated gold medal with none of the baggage of the other. I am sure she is thankful she didnt skate clean in the ladies singles today.

Good lord. Comparing her OGM win to Harding involved in Kerrigan's assault? Saying she is a pariah? You just have an endless bag of malicious hate towards this girl.

Give it a break already. :rolleye:

Whine all you want... She has an Olympic gold medal which would otherwise be still an Olympic medal. You've got nothing but a big steaming pile of spite, and you can beat your fists on the ground and wail like a toddler who got his rattle taken away and it still won't change the results. Get over it.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Good lord. Comparing her OGM win to Harding involved in Kerrigan's assault? Saying she is a pariah? You just have an endless bag of malicious hate towards this girl.

Whine all you want... She has an Olympic gold medal which would otherwise be still an Olympic medal. You've got nothing but a big steaming pile of spite, and you can beat your fists on the ground and wail like a toddler who got his rattle taken away and it still won't change the results. Get over it.
Yeah, I know lots of people dislike Adelina, but at least she is a sweet girl, arcording to lots of people who have met her, to compare her to Harding, that is too much.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
you can beat your fists on the ground and wail like a toddler who got his rattle taken away

No, that is you still whining about Hanyu winning the LP at the GPF over your beloved Chan (who doesnt even know you exist, and would file a restraining order if he ever knew you did, yet who you worship like your own son) 2 months later, a result nobody but you even cared about or had a problem with. :laugh: You are the one who gets upset over every little thing in fact as your neverending rants and squabbles with skyfall, Blades of Passion, and others on this forum proves (god knows how you arent banned yet with how your presence brings the quality of this forum way down and causes so much unneccessary turmoil). I am just having fun, but also being a realist (Sotnikova's popularity outside Russia right now is closer to Tonya Harding than say Michelle Kwan). I am certainly not upset about Sotnikova's win which I won 8000 dollars on, but you seem upset as heck with anyone who disagrees with it or any of your other absurd views on skating, which given that is just about everyone sure makes you steamed and your angst and bitterness visible for us all to witness on here. :laugh: The only reason I keep you off my ignore list is for the comedic value.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice

Whine all you want... She has an Olympic gold medal which would otherwise be still an Olympic medal. You've got nothing but a big steaming pile of spite, an obsession with the fact that Sotnikova's OGM was somehow Putin's doing, and you can beat your fists on the ground and wail like a toddler who got his rattle taken away and it still won't change the results. Get over it.

Fixed your comment ^

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, I know lots of people dislike Adelina, but at least she is a sweet girl, arcording to lots of people who have met her, to compare her to Harding, that is too much.

I read in the Wire that Adelina ate another girls skates once who got in her way during warm ups. I wouldn't trust this one. The only thing left was the laces which Adelina used to fashion a medal and proclaimed how she was better and wanted to eat all the skates in the world. Be very careful around this girl.

On a completely related note has anyone heard anything on Patricks curling career?:)slink:):)laugh:)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I read in the Wire that Adelina ate another girls skates once who got in her way during warm ups. I wouldn't trust this one. The only thing left was the laces which Adelina used to fashion a medal and proclaimed how she was better and wanted to eat all the skates in the world. Be very careful around this girl.

On a completely related note has anyone heard anything on Patricks curling career?:)slink:):)laugh:)

Patrick is attending an ice show in Japan now. I'm happy that we will hear news about him soon.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What happened to Chan was karma. When Hanyu beat him at the GPF, Chiddy commented that he, Patrick had "let Hanyu beat him this time" but in Sochi, he, Patrick, would win. The skate gods frown on such blatant hubris. The outcome in Sochi was no surprise.